Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Per-Application output device setting?

Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:07 pm

I like to play music on my speakers but sometimes I would like to do something on my computer that I want to have go through the headphones, while not redirecting the music to the headphones.

So far the only way I can do this is to plug my ipod into the speakers in its aux-in and stop playing itunes from the computer, and plug in headphones to the computer so all computer sound now goes to headphones.

What I would like is for the itunes program to always send its audio to the speakers out port, but I want all other programs to go to headphones. Are there any programs that let me do this?

Vista/Windows 7 has per-app volume settings but it moves all programs to the "default device" and I can't manually set anything to use a non default device. However I do know that it's possible to play two separate audio streams since I can have my headphones plugged in, and then manually set speakers to "default", and then it does let me click stuff like "test" which will in fact play a test tone through the headphones only while my speakers continue to play from itunes. So I know that there is no hardware limitation on this.

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Per-Application output device setting?

Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:28 pm

I don't know of a way to have iTunes output sound through a non-default audio device. iTunes uses Quicktime for audio, which, as far as I know, only lets you use the Windows default output. In an alternate player such as Foobar2000 or Winamp it's just a matter of changing the output device in the application options.
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:19 pm

So let me get this straight: you want music via speakers, and everything else via headphones, right?

If that's the case, similar to what crazybus described:

- Make sure your default device is the USB headphones.
- In iTunes, if you have that possibility, select your speakers (your regular onboard audio?) as the output device. If there's no way around this, then you'll have to use a different music player.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:22 pm

Yeah itunes does not have that setting, so I can't set it.