Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

iPhone OS 3.0

Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:53 pm

So....has anybody updated their iPhone/iTouch yet? I tried to do it last night, but the update failed and I spent over three hours trying to get my phone back to a usable state. Stupid Windows XP has a problem with detecting my iPhone after a failed update/restore. Luckily, Windows 7 detected it and restored it to the 2.2.1 update. I then had to boot back into XP to restore all of my contacts, pictures, etc. And as we all know, that's not exactly a speedy process.

Grrr....

Hopefully others have better luck than I have. I'm going to try it again tonight, but this time I'm doing everything under Windows 7.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: iPhone OS 3.0

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:22 pm

I installed it and it works great for me. Seems like battery life is a bit off from what it used to be, but that's with some heavy "testing" too :)

Only issue I had was where after a certain point, it could not communicate with the iTunes store, and the iPhone seemed to be disconnected. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and was able to continue and completed successfully.

It even managed to save all my settings and keep the icons in the same orientations / locations.
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock

rbattle
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:36 pm

Downloaded and installed quite quickly for me yesterday afternoon. It is quite a jump up in responsiveness for me using the various programs, most notably safari. Funny thing though, I was going to get a 3GS until this came out, who needs a faster processor when this one is now pretty responsive?
i7-4770K, Asus Z87-PRO, GTX 970, 16GB DDR3-2400, 840 PRO, Silverstone FT02b, Overlord 1440P IPS @ 117Hz

Go HOKIES!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Anyone with an iTouch using this? I've been eyeing an iTouch 8GB for my wife as a birthday present (was going to be anniversary present and we ended up doing somethign else), and hopefully iTouches will ship with 3.0 pre-installed by mid-July.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:16 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Anyone with an iTouch using this?
My brother was using the developer preview with his iTouch. Not a regular user of iPhone OS features myself though (don't have one of my own), so I can't really tell you if it's any better or review any of the new features. It seemed stable enough though.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:12 pm

People at work here have spent their entire day trying to get the update to work instead of working. It does seem like the majority are having problems though.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:01 pm

I'll probably update my phone as soon as all the kinks are worked out.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:28 pm

I love the new search feature... Very handy.
Twitter: @xmunos

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:17 pm

No iTouch here but I do have an iPod Touch. All my apps up and vanished when I installed the new firmware but everything else was left in tact. It seems like my iPod is just a touch faster than it was before but I rarely use it for anything other than podcasts and music. I don't run many apps or do email or anything like that so search is useless to me. One feature I noticed right off was the new rewind 30 seconds in podcasts button. Its kind of nice if you miss a name or something like that. It also adds the ability to email a link to a podcast to a friend if you want to. From what I have seen its not a bad upgrade for free. You can download the new firmware direct from apple for the touch and just hold down shift and click on restore then point iTunes at the file. There is a link on the front page in the iPod 3.0 os released news item to get the 3.0 update for free.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:08 am

Hance wrote:
No iTouch here but I do have an iPod Touch.

Which proves you knew what I was talking about. Hell, Google iTouch and what's the first link?

www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Also, Google shopping results for iTouch.

Also, news results with "iTouch" in the headline:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2008/ ... tember.ars
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2008/ ... -lucky.ars

Also, Google makes life tough to find these, because if I Google on, say, "itouch site:www.macrumors.com" I get this.

So it's obviously commonly-accepted slang. I that you are what you eat and all, but try not to be a penis. ;)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:34 am

You ever hear a slang term that irritates the hell out of you ? ITouch is mine.

Da_Boss
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:47 am

My work has a developer's license with apple, so I've been messing around with it since WWDC.

Things I like:
- The universal search is great for finding contacts using less time and effort. It also help for text messages where you need to find a certain word or phrase. It definitely the best part of the new OS for me.
- Safari feels a touch more stable than before. Maybe it's just me though..
- The phone app now shows where the person called from in places like recents and voicemail. Its not a big improvement, but its nice to know the information is there.
- The voice recorder is miles better than any other voice recording app I've tried. You also get to email the voice recordings to yourself/others. Amazing useful for me.

Other than that, it's the same old stuff you've come to know and love from Apple.
2011 15" MacBook Pro Ci7 2GHz, 8GB DDR3-1066, Intel 510 256GB SSD

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:06 am

Hance wrote:
You ever hear a slang term that irritates the hell out of you ? ITouch is mine.

As sexy as you are, I'm not going to change for you. ;)

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:17 am

Come on Derfunk I will even shave my back for you.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:17 am

/shudder

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:43 pm

Search is awesome. Tethering (I'm on Rogers) is great. I'm looking forward to chat apps that support push. No performance boost from what I can see (did not expect any). I've order a 3G S to get a performance boost.

derFunkenstein wrote:
Hell, Google iTouch and what's the first link?

That does not make it right! :x iTouch ranks right down there with pronouncing the X in Mac OS X as a letter and not a Roman numeral.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Uh, no. It's not the same as saying Mac Oh Es Ecks.

Does this make it right? I figure if Apple knows what I'm talking about, I'm in good shape.

http://www.apple.com/search/?q=itouch

End User

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:38 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Uh, no. It's not the same as saying Mac Oh Es Ecks.

Uh, yes.

derFunkenstein wrote:
Does this make it right? I figure if Apple knows what I'm talking about, I'm in good shape.

http://www.apple.com/search/?q=itouch

No

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:11 pm

OK, at this point you're just looking for a fight. I'm not going to give one. If you don't like that I call it iTouch, just bite your tongue. It's widely accepted, as I've already demonstrated. I don't really care if your feelings get hurt over it.

edit: For further clarification, I have always referred to it as an iTouch, prior to finding out that some people are so thin-skinned as to be annoyed by it. My continued use of the term isn't designed to piss people off more, it's what I call it. I'm sorry (insomuch as I feel bad for you, not that I'm apologizing...kind of like if someone died and I said "I am truely sorry for your lots") that you have a problem with it, but your problem != my problem.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Hance wrote:
We are approaching uncharted levels of awkwardness here.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:35 pm

lordT wrote:
Hance wrote:
We are approaching uncharted levels of awkwardness here.

I was just trying to make things good with derfunk because he says he doesn't love me anymore :lol:

Well so far with 3.0 I haven't found any problems other than the strange apps vanishing thing which was an easy fix. The way I use my iTouch (just for you derfunk :wink: ) the only new feature I have really noticed is the 30 second rewind button on podcasts. That is nice if you miss a name or some small detail. Also you can play podcasts at something like .5x, 1x, 1.5x and 2x I believe. I haven't tried that feature out yet but I will and will report back what I think in the next day or so.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Hance if I didn't love you, baby, I'd have talked to you like I did End User. I was just playing hard to get.

It's settled, this is what I'm getting my wife for her birthday. She's been dying for one since 2007.

Probably bad timing, as they generally release new iPods in September. Kinda like when I bought her her first iPod.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:54 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Hance if I didn't love you, baby, I'd have talked to you like I did End User. I was just playing hard to get.

It's settled, this is what I'm getting my wife for her birthday. She's been dying for one since 2007.

Probably bad timing, as they generally release new iPods in September. Kinda like when I bought her her first iPod.

She will really enjoy it. The wife and I each have one. I got mine first, wife goes oooh shiny let me see, two minutes later ooooh I need one of these. I don't personally care for the keyboard on it but for typing in the odd URL it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want to ever type an email on it. For photos, music and video nothing on the market is even close to the iPod touch. Stock earbuds suck but hey they do with every mp3 player. If you go here you should be able to grab 3.0 and install it for free you just need to figure out what version you need. Saves ten bucks. We both have a bunch of apps we like to play with and use if you want to know some we like just let me know.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Awesome, thanks for the link. I may end up playing the role of your wife in more ways than one, as I might say "ooh shiny" too. :lol:

Still got my 2nd gen Shuffle, tho. Don't imagine I'll give that up soon.

Be sure to post your apps in the app thread and I'll check them out. :)

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:21 pm

You sure ya'll didn't mean to post that around the, "manned mission to the moon" posts. :o
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

End User

Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:59 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
OK, at this point you're just looking for a fight. I'm not going to give one. If you don't like that I call it iTouch, just bite your tongue. It's widely accepted, as I've already demonstrated. I don't really care if your feelings get hurt over it.

edit: For further clarification, I have always referred to it as an iTouch, prior to finding out that some people are so thin-skinned as to be annoyed by it. My continued use of the term isn't designed to piss people off more, it's what I call it. I'm sorry (insomuch as I feel bad for you, not that I'm apologizing...kind of like if someone died and I said "I am truely sorry for your lots") that you have a problem with it, but your problem != my problem.

Give it up already. If you can't remember what the product is called then just admit it. Don't make up names.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:20 am

End User wrote:
Give it up already. If you can't remember what the product is called then just admit it. Don't make up names.
Really, you should give it up. Why are you getting so butt-hurt over a commonly used nickname for an iPod? derFunk is not the only person that calls it an iTouch as just about every person I know that has one calls it that. Hell, roughly 7.5% of the Google searches are explicitly looking for iTouch. Don't be a dick.

Anywho...I was finally able to update the OS. I'm not sure if there's an underlying issue with my XP installation, or just a problem with XP itself, but I was able to do the upgrade under Windows 7. So far, I'm liking it very much. The Search feature is nice, but I haven't really used it much. Copy/Paste is a much welcomed addition, though I'm still trying to figure out why it wasn't included at launch, along with a lot of the recent additions.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:00 pm

Apple is good at shall we say with holding features and then making a big deal of them when added in an update. The function should have been there from the start and most companies would get torn to shreds for not having said feature at launch. The apple RDF reverses this somehow. The fanboys all go OMFG copy and paste !T*%$#^&%^( rules. No I am not bashing apple we have two iPod touches and an apple tv and they are great products

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:53 pm

All you have to do is look at the history of Mac OS X. When it first launched, there were no folder labels or spring-loaded folders, both of which existed in the 90s in the classic Mac OS (and AFAIK nothing like them exist even today in Windows). I know there are other examples of things they brought back but these are the two big ones I can remember. They had decided that they were going to do Mac OS X "their way". People had grown dependent on these methods of file management. Especially in a drag-and-drop (rather than cut and paste; there's still no cut and paste file management in OS X) interface, the omission of spring-loaded folders was unforgivable. Finally, Apple relented and let the Mac graybeards have their way.

They decided the same thing with the iPhone/iTouch - we're going to do this thing our way, user demands be damned, but the cacophony and caterwalling (and other C words, I'm sure) masses finally had their way.

I don't think they hold them back intentionally knowing they'll be released sooner or later; they leave them out altogether very much on purpose. When they finally get added, people rejoice.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't think they hold them back intentionally knowing they'll be released sooner or later; they leave them out altogether very much on purpose. When they finally get added, people rejoice.

I have to argue against that. Take a look at the entire list of new features in 3.0. The feature that got the most hype is copy/paste. If that feature would have been released as a 2.x update apples single biggest bullet point for 3.0 would have vanished. I mainly use my iPod for podcasts and a few games so copy/paste doesn't really matter to me anyway.

Did you get the iPod for your wife yet ? I still need to get my apps posted in the apps thread also. I will probably get that done this afternoon after the wife goes to work and takes the kids to grandma's house so its actually quiet around here for awhile.