Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

mthguy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Going to give hackintosh a try...

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:49 pm

alright! i got it up and running pretty much everything works great!, still haven't tried time machine or sleep. once i get a good handle on how exactly i got this all working, i will move everything onto the EFI partition and hopefully not even notice that i am on a PC.

also, i would like to apologize to derfunkenstien, and everyone else who commented on my thread. i kinda sounded like an ass in that last post, it was an overboard response to a comment that i took as somewhat of an attack (which it clearly wasn't) so anyway, I am sorry, i really appreciate the help i found from everyone here. i tried several times to get some help over at insanelymac.com and never got even a reply. i guess i wasn't clear/concise enough or nobody had answers to my questions or simply i was asking stupid questions. anywho, you guys rock, and i really like having people to ask questions who take the time to respond.

I am beginning a draft of a guide for this process, although i think i need to run into a few more problems first, first try everything boot up and installed fine from the retail disk using BOOT-132 CD updated just fine, all i needed to do was get the audio kexts and i was good to go.

well, thanks a lot again. i probably wouldn't have gotten this up without a little feedback from you guys.
Mathematics is not a language, it’s an adventure. Most mathematics is done with a friend over a cup of coffee, with a
diagram scribbled on a napkin. As Gauss once remarked, “What we need are notions, not notations.”

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:07 am

Hey, it's cool, no worries.

Glad to hear you got up and running relatively easy. Looking forward to reading the steps you had to go through. :)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Glad you got it all set, sorry to hear that insMac is as useless as they've been for me.

FWIW, my usage of InsMac consists of searching their forums, reading posts, and grabbing files. I haven't posted there in a long time (ever?) simply because they're so hostile to nubs and unlikely to respond in a reasonable timeframe.

I've also just set up my first dedicated Hackintosh. Chameleon bootloader, all KEXTs on EFI, I reinstalled 100% vanilla from the DVD (booted direct via Chameleon), reformatted, reinstalled, and went straight to 10.5.7 via Software Update with zero tinkering after the EFI partition was setup. I think that's pretty much the holy grail.

Let me know if you need anything, I may not be much help, but I'll try.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:03 pm

I tried looking into this myself and you are right InsanelyMac's forums are not that helpfull at all. They do have tutorials and guides, but they are so poorly written or assume prior knowledge. I'm under the impression .kext files are the drivers necessary to run custom hardware... Is there no matrix of .kext files to choose from. How does one know which are appropriate and where to get them from?
FDISK /MBR

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm

I'm surprised no one has written an all encompassing "ULTIMATE HACKINTOSH TUTORIAL" (TM) or created a program like nLite that automatically creates an ISO from a retail Macintosh DVD. Or have they (but I'm unaware of it)?

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:32 pm

bdwilcox wrote:
I'm surprised no one has written an all encompassing "ULTIMATE HACKINTOSH TUTORIAL" (TM) or created a program like nLite that automatically creates an ISO from a retail Macintosh DVD. Or have they (but I'm unaware of it)?

Well... because it really doesn't work out that well. Even hardware you think would be well supported isn't always. For instance the Intel X3100 graphics chips are very hit and miss even though those chips were in Apple units. It can even come down to manufacturer differences, X3100 inside Dell laptops are known to be down to luck in some cases. It took reading around 60 pages of forum nonsense on InsanelyMac before I could get my M1330 to even boot up to a desktop, let alone a full functional system (which never happened). There are some tools to create custom setups though. There are also a number of various spins out there that are somewhat specific (some just for Intel systems, some targeted for AMD ones, etc). I would like a computer where I could easily triple boot between Windows 7, OS X, and Ubuntu but that would require a new laptop and hope it just works out well unless you're willing to buy a Mac (which I'm not).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:50 pm

desktops are about a million times easier to get going than desktops, because in a desktop you can control EVERYTHING. In a laptop, you're at the mfr's mercy as to what audio codec, what ethernet chip, which wifi device, what graphics, etc. is available and what the PCI vendor/device IDs are. Intel wifi found in Centrino notebooks is generally no good. Not the 3xxx (a/b/g), not the 4xxx (a/b/g/n), and not the new 5xxx that I know of. Most Macs use Broadcom chips for wifi. You have to buy those aftermarket for most laptops that would otherwise be well-supported.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

mthguy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 pm

insanelymac is a great resource for files, tutorials, and the like, and i think in the right situations you can get some help. my biggest complaint about there tutorials is that 80% of them assume you already have a OSX machine running. or that you know how to install it with boot-132.

Forge, i have been having some trouble with my EFI partition. namely I have most everything on there chameleon2RC1 and the Kexts, but when i boot, there is no apple logo just a grey screen with the spinning wheel, then there is a kernel panic just before it reaches the desktop. i can still boot fine from boot-132 with "-f" i mean that is a very minor consequence. i would just hope that i am able to have the luck you have had with getting that EFI partition and everything to work so well. i believe that i need to get my hands a little dirtier, thus far i have been able to use .pkgs for almost everything, which makes it a little harder for me to get all the proper kexts on the proper partition.

I have also seem to hit a snag, i want to do a little dev for iPhone, but when i install the SDK just with about a minute left, i get a kernel panic, the first 2 times i figured something might be awry with my kexts, but later i realized there might be something more to it. anyway i was wondering if anyone have gotten the SDK to install on there Hack.

I would also love to use the HDMI port on my 4850, and for all i know it might be working right now, i just haven't tied it, word seems to be though that it doesn't work. if anyone has any experience working with the HDMI port on any ATi graphics cards in OSX a few tips about what it took would be great.
Mathematics is not a language, it’s an adventure. Most mathematics is done with a friend over a cup of coffee, with a
diagram scribbled on a napkin. As Gauss once remarked, “What we need are notions, not notations.”

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:26 am

the -f flag means that it's forcing the machine to look at every kext at boot up, not just what's been linked by /system/library/extensions/extensions.mkext so that means there's a driver not present in the kextcache that should be.

I'd try deleting the extensions.mkext (and I think there's additionally something else that needs deleted but the name eludes me right now) and reboot. THat should be a little slow at first but it should force a new kextcache to be created.

Failing that, you can add -f to the kernel flags in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and it will always use -f.

Can't help with the HDMI port or the SDK though, sorry.