Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

installed 4890 getting feedback is it front panel audio?

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:33 am

Ok I seem to be getting a lot of electric noises coming through my sound card
I know this is somewhat normal but I did not have the problem before so let me ask

I have an HT omega striker soundcard
Before I had it in my old HP computer and no problems, crystal clear
I recently purchased a P182 case, gigabyte motherboard and an WD cavier black HD

then I started to get electronic feedback, I can hear hard drives spooling and a small hum when using the front panel audio and headphones

now I installed an HD 4890 and whenever I turn a game on I can hear a loud Buzz...
If i mute the sound, the buzz is still there whenever a game is running.
I can live with the hum, but the buzz is ruining my day.

So my question is, is this just normal interference being caused from my new systems high power consumption?
or is something wrong with the front panel audio ports, maybe they are cheaply made, not shielded or need to have rerouted wires?
or is this a conflict with the HDMI audio output on the 4890 card?
or is this 'feedback' caused by the motherboard?

morphine
TR Staff

Re: installed 4890 getting feedback is it front panel audio?

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:09 am

potatochobit wrote:
So my question is, is this just normal interference being caused from my new systems high power consumption?

No.

potatochobit wrote:
or is something wrong with the front panel audio ports, maybe they are cheaply made, not shielded or need to have rerouted wires?

This is a distinct possibility. Also if you've , it's possible that you moved to another wall outlet with other stuff plugged into it besides the PC, and the interference or a ground loop is causing noise.

potatochobit wrote:
or is this a conflict with the HDMI audio output on the 4890 card?

Nope.

potatochobit wrote:
or is this 'feedback' caused by the motherboard?

Is it actual feedback, as in microphone feedback, horribly loud, sharp noise, or some other kind? If it's the former, you probably just left your mic input open in the mix and have the mic relatively close to your speakers, or these are fairly loud.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Ok I have narrowed the problem down to the antec case having bad front audio wires I think

what I did was
remove card from PCI slot 2 and moved it up to PCI slot 1 and reinstalled the drivers, no change
moved the F-panel wires behind the motherbaord, seems other people have had issues, no change
set 4890 back to stock settings, no change
unplugged my apmlifier in the rear and plugged the headphones directly into the front audio out- Perfect sound!

I love my antec case this is kind of upsetting,but oh well
I could get an SD/MMC card thing those usually have F-panel audio on them? or how can I rewire this myself?
anyway, let me tear the F-panel out of my old computer see if that works perfect like it did before.

This is a distinct possibility. Also if you've , it's possible that you moved to another wall outlet with other stuff plugged into it besides the PC, and the interference or a ground loop is causing noise.

Yeah, everything computer related is plugged into a large surge protector thing, including TV and Stereo system

Is it actual feedback, as in microphone feedback, horribly loud, sharp noise, or some other kind? If it's the former, you probably just left your mic input open in the mix and have the mic relatively close to your speakers, or these are fairly loud.

Generally, if no sound is playing u can hear the hard drives spool up when u access them, if u use the mouse to move up web pages u can hear the pages go up and down buzzing. but with this 4890 installed, you can hear what sounds like one of those blue light insect zappers, you know the constant bzzz! that is not ok, especially for playing FPS games.
with the headphones plugged into the back there is no buzzing though from the graphic card.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:22 pm

I very much doubt that the 4890 has anything to do with it, at least directly. The only thing is that you probably get more noise because of a more powerful card that emits more RFI, etc, but it's a symptom, not the cause. I think it's mainly the FP wiring that's your problem here.

Your case should have come with a big metal ring, made of ferrite (?). Run the FP audio cables through that ring and see if it helps any. Also, with the PC turned on and your speakers up, move the FP audio connector cable to see if there's a particular bad spot.

Also as a very very very long shot, motherboards usually have two kinds of audio connectors, plain AC97 and HD Audio. I don't know the exact pinout differences, but check to see if you haven't plugged it into the AC97 connector by mistake.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Ok I took the case apart
I found out that the interference is not coming from the audio cable per se
it is coming from the USB, firewire and ground

@pic below
all the lines go into one opening and there is also a ground (what is this grounding anyway? :o )
if anything other than just the audio cable is plugged in I get the RFI feedback
the plastic case is sealed so if I wanted to replace any line I would have to crack it open
not sure what I plan to do but I MUST have F-panel audio and 1 USB port on the front

edit: I was able to get the buzz noise to go away with the USB plugged in aside from minor ticking when a thumb/mp3 drive is plugged in
I can live with it like this though

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:22 am

Screw that ground lead to case metal and your problems will be greatly reduced.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.