Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Wajo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Help with Flash menu

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Hey,

I've done a drop-down menu for a webpage in flash. However, i would like the rest of the page to remain as plain HTML. The problem i'm having is that i would like the dropdowns to cover part of the page while the user is hovering over the bar. Right now, the whole size of the flash file is being shown (albeit with a transparent background). I hope I can find a solution for this, otherwise I'll have to fight Javascript to do the menu in DHTML (something I was trying to avoid mainly because of IE's incredible suckiness when it comes to CSS).

I don't think I'm explaining myself properly, but I think the following link should suffice for you to understand what I'm trying to do:

http://kino.iteso.mx/~ie108689

Hope you can help, thx

Edit: Nevermind, solved it with div positioning... (any opinions against this method?)
Intel Core i7 3770K / 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 / Intel 520 180GB SSD / WD 2TB HDD / Zotac GTX 1060 6GB / Corsair TX650 V2 PSU / Asus Xonar DG

swiecki
Gerbil
Location: Dining in the Reagan room at the restaurant at the end of the universe.

Re: Help with Flash menu

Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Wajo wrote:
Hey,

Edit: Nevermind, solved it with div positioning... (any opinions against this method?)

Glad that you figured it out. The best way to do it is to avoid using flash altogether, because you are alienating users that don't have flash, you are alienating users on mobile devices, and you are increasing loading and rendering times for users.

A great article on how to do a menu (we CSS developers call them "suckerfish menus") is this one at A List Apart. Enjoy!
Last edited by swiecki on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FF on DDR3 with a Q9550
Flying Fox wrote:
Can we have some of what he was smoking? X48? 2x16 SLI? Want some more e-penis with that? How about just get the Nvidia triple SLI board with a water block on the 3xGPUs+chipset+CPU?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:08 pm

If you're insisting on using flash, why not jazz up those drop downs a little? At the very least, increase the FPS of the movie and stretch the key-frames out in the animation to make it a smoother roll out and in. Happy coding.

Wajo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do agree with you about not using flash (especially for something as crucial as navigation), however, the webpage is for a class and the professor is a graphic designer and therefore has no regard for usability as long as things look pretty, so i'm pretty much forced to use flash.

Thanks for your input again :P
Intel Core i7 3770K / 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 / Intel 520 180GB SSD / WD 2TB HDD / Zotac GTX 1060 6GB / Corsair TX650 V2 PSU / Asus Xonar DG

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:46 pm

I see a great menu, right now..... at the top of this page under "MORE...."