System Internals processor explorer gave a name to the offender-- HPService.
It is a network monitoring program that looks for HP devices and connects them for you, at least that is what it says it does. After a few failed attempts at correcting the problem I found some advice that worked. I started "services.msc" from the command line and then changing "HP Network devices suport" from "automantic" to "manual" and that dropped the CPU use to near zero.
Great! now I am running at full speed...
Err... not really, I somehow destroyed the folding at home smp client and it refuses to run. It gives me nothing. Even after reinstalling it, all I get is the a flashing cursor in the command window. So, I am back to running the single core program. I am at work now and tomorrow I have a busy schedule that does not include "messing arround with the computer" So my output will suffer for a while.