Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

rogelio
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Simple SPDIF-toslink Receiver

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:56 pm

So, I have a Sony LCD TV that has SPDIF-toslink digital audio out. I currently have a blu-ray connected via HDMI to my TV and a computer connected via VGA and simple stereo line-in (this may soon be upgraded to a HD radeon card with integrated sound via HDMI).

I know the general pros and cons of basically utilizing the TV as the receiver (which is what I am in essence doing at the moment). However, there is an appeal to just run a male-male cable from the TV's SPDIF-toslink port out to an audio receiver.

My question is - so many receivers have so many ports and connectors (for video, etc.). In my situation, all I would need is a receiver that would have a single SPDIF-toslink (in) port - to go to either 5.1 or 7.1. Are there any such receivers on the cheap that'll do this?

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Re: Simple SPDIF-toslink Receiver

Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:36 pm

if the TV has HDMI ports, then yeah you just need 1 SPDIF out from the TV to the Reciever
all your other goodies can just plug into the TV. I think all TV's have passthrough, at least they should if it has a SPDIF out.
now, your computer using the red-white composite cables to the TV will not be able to play 5.1, but you can get dolby prologic until u get a sound card or HDMI out.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:55 pm

The optical out port of the TV often just gives you 2-channel stereo when you are feeding from an external input. You have to refer to your TV manual or worse, test it out for yourself. I thought we have determined that you have just enough inputs in your receiver anyway to avoid doing this? Why not just connect video from the Bluray player using HDMI to the TV and then run another optical cable to your real receiver? Keep in mind optical only gives you 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS at best (or it may be the 6.1 EX formats). You will need to either use HDMI to go LPCM 7.1 (decoding done in player) or TrueHD/Master Audio (bistreaming from player and decoding in the receiver).

This is what the manual of my 46" Panasonic plasma TV says:
TH46PZ80 manual wrote:
When audio from other equipment connected to this unit via HDMI is output using “DIGITAL AUDIO OUT” of this
unit, the system switches to 2CH audio.
(When connecting to an AV amp via HDMI, you can enjoy higher sound quality.)

That's why we suggested you not to cheap out too much on the receiver (and speakers). After all, TV != receiver.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Get a decent reciever from the start, unless you are just planning to use stereo for everything and skip surround alltogether. Take a look at the different offerings from Denon, Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo and Harman Kardon.