Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Positive Playstation 3 Talk and Q/A

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:53 pm

For the most part I've tried to stay clear of the God of War pre-release content, unless it's purely performance or engine demo. While not entirely complex the story drives an one of the more interesting elements of the game, spoil that early one and you've got a button masher - an albeit beautiful one, but one never the less.

GTA Chinatown is coming to the PSP (not a huge surprise, I'm still curious if it actually made any money or broke even for the DS).
http://kotaku.com/5299516/grand-theft-a ... e=true&s=x

Also, since Sony is paying my bills - Amazon Goldbox deals are for the PS3 today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

b3n113

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:56 pm

lmfao:

http://kotaku.com/5299140/shia-labeouf- ... es-the-wii

He later follows that up with "Who wants to play the Wii version of LEGO Star Wars. I'd rather eat glass.". Even though the Wii version is, well, for all intents and purposes identical to the other ones.

like homer said "Shia LaBeouf not quite a geek, not quite a hunk, Shia LaBeouf".

b3n113

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:02 pm

You know what, I will say that to be completely blunt listening to the original guys crack wise about ghost hunting puts me into some kind of child like induced state of bliss - I don't know if I could rationally review Ghostbusters the video game if I wanted to, all I know is I love it.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:43 pm

I liked Prince of Persia at first, but it's monotonous. Going to trade it, I think.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:10 pm

540p for Ghostbusters on PS3, blurry textures (both confirmed by the developer), and a dodgy framerate.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox- ... f-round-20

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:08 pm

b3n113 wrote:
You know what, I will say that to be completely blunt listening to the original guys crack wise about ghost hunting puts me into some kind of child like induced state of bliss - I don't know if I could rationally review Ghostbusters the video game if I wanted to, all I know is I love it.

If there's a demo I'll give it a go, to see how it runs for myself. 540p is awfully close to 480p, though. Starting to look like a PS2 game. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

b3n113

Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:58 pm

I thought you guys did the netflix for games thing?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:29 pm

Not me - I like to buy things. I like to keep them.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 pm

software based PS2 backwards compatibility coming soon? I kinda hope so. Only a couple games I want to play, but I'd like to play them. Persona 3 and 4 for instance.

I'd trade in for a PS3 slim if it's a slim-only feature. Less power consumption and heat would be a bonus.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:42 pm

But I thought full software emulation was a bridge too far on the PS3? Hmm.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:46 pm

My PS2 Ratchet & Clank games play acceptably on my 80 GB PS3, but that's what differentiated it from the 40GB and later models. If you absolutely must have backward compatibility, it might be cheaper to pick up an actual PS2 than to hunt down a 60GB PS3.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:24 am

The 60GB PAL and the NTSC 2007 80GB already do Emotion Engine emulation through the Cell.

CPU emulation in software has never been the issue, it has always been an issue with regard to the Graphics Synthesizer. The PS3 models with software emulation still had the Graphics Synthesizer hardware on the PCB.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:21 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
CPU emulation in software has never been the issue, it has always been an issue with regard to the Graphics Synthesizer. The PS3 models with software emulation still had the Graphics Synthesizer hardware on the PCB.
Right, that's what I thought. Curious then that full PS2 software emulation is rumored.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:26 pm

"Oh, hey, I guess the PS3 is kinda important after all" -Valve

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
"Oh, hey, I guess the PS3 is kinda important after all" -Valve

They should issue a refund to all the poor people who bought their crappy Orange Box slideshow.

Momento Mori
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:46 pm

I have the Orange Box for PS3 and I loved portal, the frame rate did not bother me in that one either. I played some team fortress 2 but I don't see what everyone likes about that game so much. If I want a shooter with classes now days I will pop Killzone 2 back in. I tried the first Half-Life Episode on the disk (having never played half-life at all) and I thought it was a really boring mediocre shooter. Is there something I am missing about half-life everyone seems to constantly shower the series with praise.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:27 pm

dont' worry, i have the same problem with HL2 and TF2. I never got past Ravenholm and never tried any of the eps, and I never got into TF2.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:16 am

Momento Mori wrote:
I have the Orange Box for PS3 and I loved portal, the frame rate did not bother me in that one either. I played some team fortress 2 but I don't see what everyone likes about that game so much. If I want a shooter with classes now days I will pop Killzone 2 back in. I tried the first Half-Life Episode on the disk (having never played half-life at all) and I thought it was a really boring mediocre shooter. Is there something I am missing about half-life everyone seems to constantly shower the series with praise.

You know, they're called episodes for a reason, you wouldn't pop in a movie from a series out of order and expect everything to make sense would you? Half-life is much more about atmosphere and story compared to most shooters. Then they have some really unique levels or mechanics.

Out of the first two games, Half-life and HL2, I think the first one is far superior. The feeling of just being plopped down into someone's life is just superbly done. NPCs tell you to do things that Gordon should know how to do (or where to go to do them), but you as the player have no idea. So it's like "wtf, how am I going to do this?" Then people get irritated with you. Of course the game is linear, and the most you ever have to do is follow the path and push a button or something, but it just feels like so much more. The first one also had some crazy guns. There was an energy gun that you had to hold on an enemy and they would just poof, disappear. Then there was a needler 3 years before Halo came out. The AI for the marines remains one of the best game AIs I have ever played against. The final boss was great.

The 2nd game has strong appeal because it's set in the same universe, and you return as Gordon. Then it has it's own gimmicks, the physics engine, and the gravity gun. The giant insect things (I can't remember what they're called) that you can control. Of course a lot of this stuff has been copied or done better since it was released (it was 5 years ago), so it doesn't seem as impressive anymore.

I think you would miss out on a lot of important story and character development skipping ahead in the series. You might not like them anyways (I have heard that episode 1 was the worst though), but if you watched LOTR: Return of the King first, you might not enjoy it as much as after the first 2 movies. What's wrong with these emo hobbits, why can't they just chuck the damn ring in the volcano.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:55 am

Just got an email from NIS saying that the Disgaea 3 Trophy Patch comes out on 7/16. Here's the list:

http://www.nisamerica.com/images/email/ ... 090708.pdf

b3n113

Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:33 pm

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/ ... nt-on-psn/

very cool! I really didn't want to play the simulation and the pitt first:

I do have good news! We have decided that Broken Steel will be the first release since it is easily the most requested DLC from our fans. Broken Steel allows you to continue playing the game after completing the Main Quest, raises the level cap to 30, and includes 4-6 hours of additional gameplay. It is also the one DLC that requires you to finish the Main Quest from the game to play the new content. Regardless of whether you’ve completed the Main Quest, the level cap will already be raised and higher level characters will begin encountering some of the new enemies in the Capital Wasteland. For the release of Broken Steel and the other DLCs, we’ll release a new update for the game.

and to offset any "shill" tendancies of my posts, I bring important news from the world of the 360!

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/07/ ... vatar.aspx
:o

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:53 pm

b3n113 wrote:
and to offset any "shill" tendancies of my posts, I bring important news from the world of the 360!
Oh, let it go. :roll:

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:39 am

Just finished MGS4. 23 hours since late last summer (albeit, most of it was at that summer)! Time for round two, I think, now that I know what the **** I'm doing. Also, time to look up GameFAQS now :D

Good lord, the epilogue and credits were at least a good hour.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Did you like it? I never played it. Actually, I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid 2 on the PS2, and even that I didn't really care for.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:21 pm

Loved every minute of it, except for the 3rd beast fight which made me give it up for that number of months.

b3n113

Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:16 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Did you like it? I never played it. Actually, I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid 2 on the PS2, and even that I didn't really care for.

You have to at least demo the thing, it's a beautiful experience. Seriously long winded at times.

Vrock wrote:
Oh, let it go. :roll:

No. You were being mean, and you haven't apologized. Now, apologize.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155469

I've been playing lots of Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This? and while I bought Unbound Saga, I haven't played it since the first boot-up. Piece of dog **** that one. After finishing Infamous, Red Faction and Prototype I started up Cross Edge and so far it's been pretty fun - I'm looking forward to finishing up thou and returning to Disgaea for the Trophy fun.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:45 pm

So...I shelled out $15 for Battlefield 1943. I'm a whore for Battlefield, so I ended up buying it despite telling myself repeatedly that I wouldn't. I've only played a little bit so far, a couple of times on Wake Island and once in the Coral Sea/Air Superiority mode, and it's pretty damn fun. For fifteen bucks, it's well worth it. It will at least help hold me over until Bad Company 2 is released.

If anybody feels like getting shot down by a Corsair and/or has the burning desired to get killed by a headshot 300+ meters away, let me know.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Dizik wrote:
or has the burning desired to get killed by a headshot 300+ meters away

Just like every other first person shooter out there. :lol:

Got GH:WT when it was on sale at Gamestop, with the drums, guitar, and all that. I like Rock Band's music (at least, what comes on the RB 1 and 2 discs) better, but I like the GHWT drums better. Good thing they work with RB.

Also, got Prince of Persia for my bday a couple weeks back and haven't played it yet. I keep telling myself I will just as soon as I'm done with The Show, and I'm still playing the crap out of that. Awesome return on investment. I also forced myself to quit Disgaea 3 again until I finish PoP. Lately it's been RB/GH/Jeopardy wiht my wife, or The Show and Titan Quest (PC) on my own.

I have plenty to do; I'll leave the 90-minute cut scenes to people who don't have an incessant need to avoid all the (alleged) preachiness.

b3n113

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:37 am

I wouldn't bother with finishing it, just make sure to check it out at some point for 15 minutes to see what they accomplished - it's very impressive on a technical level. Prince of Persia was a beautiful game, had a very bizzare plot, but tight controls and quite fun to play if not a little repetitive in parts.

Oh if anyone needs Disgaea games on any platform, or anything from NIS America - they're having a pretty awesome sale on the corp web store.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:55 am

Yeah, I just ordered the "Lifestyles of the Plush and Harmless" set for Disgaea 2 PSP for $40, which comes with an adorable stuffed prinny for my daughter. They've got DIsgaea 3 with 2 audio CDs for $50, or with 2 audio CDs plus the strat guide for $70.

The hours per dollar spent ratio on all of their games is through the roof. I don't think there's a better ROI out there.

http://rosenqueen.com/home.php

Played about an hour on PoP. It is F-U-N fun.

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:00 am

Nitrodist wrote:
Just finished MGS4. 23 hours since late last summer (albeit, most of it was at that summer)! Time for round two, I think, now that I know what the **** I'm doing. Also, time to look up GameFAQS now :D

Good lord, the epilogue and credits were at least a good hour.

I've beaten it 6 times on Solid Normal, about 4 times with no kills and under 5 hours. I haven't played it seriously since last November, you really have to be in the mood to play a MGS game. I've been giving MGO a good run though :)

Also, been playing some midnight club LA, that game can REALLY piss me off at times.