Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Siber
Gerbil
Topic Author

MySQL site down

Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:07 pm

Does anyone know why the MySQL site is down or when it will be back up? I don't believe I can install cacti without MySQL...

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: MySQL site down

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:12 pm

A search on Google for "mysql" Revealed this in the news section before any results:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/22 ... ites_down/
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

Siber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:28 pm

I didn't even think to google it... so I just went on to other tasks. Thanks titan.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:37 pm

You didn't specify what OS you're using, but if you're running Linux, the MySQL binaries are in your repo's repository (and mirrors); no need to go direct to the MySQL site...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Siber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:15 pm

My colleague found some mirrors yesterday after I left... I was out of it yesterday = / Doing much better today finding, installing, and playing with this stuff. Yeah, we're running Linux... it's my first foray into it and I'm having a blast!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:49 pm

If you are running Linux, you should generally check your distro's repository first before you hit the home site for the application in question. The exception to this would be if you have a pressing need for new features which are only available in the latest bleeding-edge version.

Although the distro-specific repository may lag the bleeding edge release by a few months, you're trading that off against the fact that someone has looked at the version in the repository and verified that there aren't any major compatibility issues with your distro. The version in the repository should also be better integrated with your distro's package management system, which may save you hassles down the road.

What Linux distro are you running?

Siber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:03 pm

I haven't the foggiest, but my colleague does. How do I check that?

Edit: emailed him and he said redhat 9.0... don't laugh too hard.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Siber wrote:
I haven't the foggiest, but my colleague does. How do I check that?

Edit: emailed him and he said redhat 9.0... don't laugh too hard.

:o

Heh... in that case, I'm not sure what your best course of action would be here. The version of MySQL in your distro's repository is probably rather old, as Redhat 9 has not been supported for quite some time. If you want a vaguely modern version of MySQL to run on that box you'll probably need to build it from source, unless you can find someone who has current pre-built binaries for Redhat 9. MySQL still provides current binaries for Redhat Enterprise Linux 3, which was released around the same time as Redhat 9; you may be able to use those (but no guarantees).

Linux has come a long way since Redhat 9; you really ought to consider upgrading to something more modern. If you want to stay in the Redhat family, your choices would be the latest Fedora (if you don't mind being a bit bleeding edge, with everything good and bad that implies); Redhat Enterprise Linux (if you don't mind paying for it); or CentOS (a free, community-supported, re-branded version of Redhat Enterprise Linux). For sheer ease of use I recommend Ubuntu (but if you're already familiar with Redhat, be aware that Ubuntu does some things differently, so there will be a bit of a learning curve). Debian is also an excellent choice if you're thinking of turning this into a production server, but if you don't already have in-house expertise with it you're probably better off with one of the other options.

Siber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Wow thanks for the in-depth reply! My colleague has mentioned Ubuntu, and as it seems trying to upgrade from redhat 9.0 might make things more difficult. I'll pass on what you've posted here to him. Thanks again JBI.