Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

rogelio
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Enable 2+ sound devices at once (vista)?

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:25 pm

I have an HD Radeon card that outputs via HDMI to my TV/Receiver and sends both a 1080p signal and HD audio (5.1). However, I also have my soundcard in my system (Audigy 2ZS) and at times like to use headphones (and not use the receiver for speaker audio). In Vista, under the "Playback devices" only one sound device can be enabled as the "default" device at a time - meaning that every time I want to use headphones, I have to go in there and disable the HDMI audio and enable the Audgiy card.

Is there a way to have both devices enabled at once to solve this annoyance of constantly switching devices?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Enable 2+ sound devices at once (vista)?

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Not a direct answer, but IIRC you can right-click the Microsoft speaker icon (not a creative one or anything, I mean) and switch default output devices, rahter than diving into the control panel. Might streamline things a bit but I don't know of a way to make them both the "default device" unless one can piggyback onto the other somehow.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:13 pm

Why not plug the headphones into the receiver? It's been a long time since I've seen one without a headphone jack.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

rogelio
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:42 pm

Why not plug the headphones into the receiver? It's been a long time since I've seen one without a headphone jack.

Sony HTS-S360
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665793616

Sadly, I don't see a headphone jack on this thing.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:46 pm

As far as I know you have to change the audio output device in each application, but after that it's possible. I do it all the time with Ventrilo. (Default device = speakers, Vent output = usb headset)
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:01 pm

rogelio wrote:

Sony HTS-S360
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665793616

Sadly, I don't see a headphone jack on this thing.

Yeah, I started looking up random receivers. I guess the headphone jack isn't so popular anymore.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:20 pm

titan wrote:
Yeah, I started looking up random receivers. I guess the headphone jack isn't so popular anymore.

I think it depends more on whether you're looking at legitimate component receivers, or Home Theater In a Box systems. Comparatively, scroll quickly through this and there are plenty of headphone jacks.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Yeah, that set sure looks like a HTIB to me. You get what you pay for I suppose :(
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:36 am

What I've done is create a shortcut to Sounds and Audio Devices and put it into my "quick launch".
It's the fastest way I've found to flip between devices.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

Catscradler
Gerbil

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:16 am

You might be able to make switching audio devices painless by using an AutoHotkey script like the ones in this thread.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:02 am

rogelio wrote:
In Vista, under the "Playback devices" only one sound device can be enabled as the "default" device at a time - meaning that every time I want to use headphones, I have to go in there and disable the HDMI audio and enable the Audgiy card.

There's a lack of clarity here. I think your best solution is to right click the speaker in the system tray and change it there.

On the other hand, you seem unclear on what 'default' does. 'Default' does not mean 'only', and it doesn't mean that any app you open connects to the default audio device. For example, I have my current setup as DDL via optical output to my Z-680s for my default, and have a headset hooked to the front panel input/output. All system audio comes through the Z-680s, but all Skype output/input is via the headset.

This is one of the big things that Vista sold as an improvement. Under XP, sound control was much less fine-grained and more difficult to 'pipe'.

If you just want to dump ALL audio to one device or the other, with the other silent, then you need to change the default, mute the other, and/or restart any open apps.

Alternately, you can setup your system to output all audio to the headphones and the speakers and hit the main power on the HTIB when you use the headphones.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.