Enable 2+ sound devices at once (vista)?

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Enable 2+ sound devices at once (vista)?

Postposted on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:25 pm

I have an HD Radeon card that outputs via HDMI to my TV/Receiver and sends both a 1080p signal and HD audio (5.1). However, I also have my soundcard in my system (Audigy 2ZS) and at times like to use headphones (and not use the receiver for speaker audio). In Vista, under the "Playback devices" only one sound device can be enabled as the "default" device at a time - meaning that every time I want to use headphones, I have to go in there and disable the HDMI audio and enable the Audgiy card.

Is there a way to have both devices enabled at once to solve this annoyance of constantly switching devices?
Dell XPS Gen 5. Intel 955X Express. Pentium D 830 (3.0 Ghz). 4Gb DDR-677 Corsair. Sapphire Radeon HD 4650. Audigy 2zs. Seagate 500Gb, 160Gb. Leadtek WinFast TV200XP Deluxe.
rogelio
Gerbil Elite

Re: Enable 2+ sound devices at once (vista)?

Postposted on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:48 pm

Not a direct answer, but IIRC you can right-click the Microsoft speaker icon (not a creative one or anything, I mean) and switch default output devices, rahter than diving into the control panel. Might streamline things a bit but I don't know of a way to make them both the "default device" unless one can piggyback onto the other somehow.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:13 pm

Why not plug the headphones into the receiver? It's been a long time since I've seen one without a headphone jack.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:42 pm

Why not plug the headphones into the receiver? It's been a long time since I've seen one without a headphone jack.

Sony HTS-S360
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665793616

Sadly, I don't see a headphone jack on this thing.
Dell XPS Gen 5. Intel 955X Express. Pentium D 830 (3.0 Ghz). 4Gb DDR-677 Corsair. Sapphire Radeon HD 4650. Audigy 2zs. Seagate 500Gb, 160Gb. Leadtek WinFast TV200XP Deluxe.
rogelio
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:46 pm

As far as I know you have to change the audio output device in each application, but after that it's possible. I do it all the time with Ventrilo. (Default device = speakers, Vent output = usb headset)
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1 x64
SuperSpy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:01 pm

rogelio wrote:

Sony HTS-S360
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665793616

Sadly, I don't see a headphone jack on this thing.

Yeah, I started looking up random receivers. I guess the headphone jack isn't so popular anymore.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:20 pm

titan wrote:Yeah, I started looking up random receivers. I guess the headphone jack isn't so popular anymore.

I think it depends more on whether you're looking at legitimate component receivers, or Home Theater In a Box systems. Comparatively, scroll quickly through this and there are plenty of headphone jacks.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:35 pm

Yeah, that set sure looks like a HTIB to me. You get what you pay for I suppose :(
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:36 am

What I've done is create a shortcut to Sounds and Audio Devices and put it into my "quick launch".
It's the fastest way I've found to flip between devices.

MSI 870A-G55 AM3 | AMD Phenom ll X4 955 Black Edition | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision
IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:16 am

You might be able to make switching audio devices painless by using an AutoHotkey script like the ones in this thread.
Catscradler
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:02 am

rogelio wrote:In Vista, under the "Playback devices" only one sound device can be enabled as the "default" device at a time - meaning that every time I want to use headphones, I have to go in there and disable the HDMI audio and enable the Audgiy card.

There's a lack of clarity here. I think your best solution is to right click the speaker in the system tray and change it there.

On the other hand, you seem unclear on what 'default' does. 'Default' does not mean 'only', and it doesn't mean that any app you open connects to the default audio device. For example, I have my current setup as DDL via optical output to my Z-680s for my default, and have a headset hooked to the front panel input/output. All system audio comes through the Z-680s, but all Skype output/input is via the headset.

This is one of the big things that Vista sold as an improvement. Under XP, sound control was much less fine-grained and more difficult to 'pipe'.

If you just want to dump ALL audio to one device or the other, with the other silent, then you need to change the default, mute the other, and/or restart any open apps.

Alternately, you can setup your system to output all audio to the headphones and the speakers and hit the main power on the HTIB when you use the headphones.
I've been here long enough that I think I can forgo a signature.
Forge
Darth Gerbil

Return to Echo Vale