Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Integra DTR-7.9 equivalent receiver

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 pm

My Z-5500s finally died on me, and I think it's time to take the plunge into real home theater setups.

I'm looking to get a modern receiver with a few HDMI inputs.

My company has an accommodation offer through Integra for a very reasonably priced DTR-7.9, 8.9, or 9.9. I won't say how much, but it is very generous. I don't know a whole lot about receivers, but there's quite a buzz about the promo. It looks like the 8.9 and 9.9 do multi-room audio, which I don't care for at the moment.

I'm wondering what comparable receivers are available from other manufacturers, their costs, etc.

TR Audiophiles, help me out!

Thanks,
mac_h8r1
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Integra DTR-7.9 equivalent receiver

Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:50 pm

What was the nature of the Z5500's death?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:12 pm

ludi wrote:

Quite honestly, I'm not sure. It was working perfectly for 3 years, then the control pod and sub spent 2 months in my garage before I moved to a new place. When I set it up there, there was practically no noise coming from 3 of the channels. No matter what level the volume was set to, there would barely be a hiss out of the front channels. The rear ones were fine, but I had to set the audio to Stereo X2, no more true surround. I verified that it wasn't the speakers or wires by swapping working ones and such. Same held true for different sources, analog, digital, or optical.

I can only conclude that either the control pod is failing to send the right data to the sub/amp, or the sub/amp is not turning that data into the proper signal. I took both apart to see if there were any loose wires or blown electronics, but everything appeared to be plugged in/soldered in place, and my electronics knowledge is not strong enough to bust out a voltmeter and do any real troubleshooting. I've still got all the parts and am open to suggestions, but I've also come to terms with it being time to move on. The system worked great for 3 years, and not great for 1, and like I said, I'm ready to move to a real receiver that can work some magic with video switching and upconverting as well.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:24 pm

The 7.9 does multi-room as well. That is, 5.1 surround in the main room and stereo in another.

As far as that particular receiver is concerned, it looks like it's very good based on its specs. Without knowing the price on such a piece of equipment, I don't know what to look for in the same price range.

I know Yamaha and Denon doesn't have a receiver that includes DCDi. Onkyo does. How important it is that the receiver has DCDi is up to you.

I know Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo has a few receivers that include HD Radio. The 7.9 does not. The 8.9 does. Again, this is how important it is to you.

There are a lot of comparisons that can be drawn, but really the only thing for you to do is go to your local high end audio center and see how the receivers compare audibly. The sales associate should know enough to make it a fair comparison.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:32 pm

titan wrote:
I know Yamaha and Denon doesn't have a receiver that includes DCDi. Onkyo does. How important it is that the receiver has DCDi is up to you.
DCDi is just a brand name...

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:37 pm

mattsteg wrote:
titan wrote:

I feel the same way about THX.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:10 pm

titan wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
titan wrote:

I feel the same way about THX.

That it's just a brand name or something you lust over? Your communication is unclear.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:20 pm

mattsteg wrote:
That it's just a brand name or something you lust over? Your communication is unclear.

Lol! That it's just a brand name.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:32 pm

titan wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

Of course it is. What does that have to do with DCDi though?

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:55 pm

mattsteg wrote:
titan wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

Of course it is. What does that have to do with DCDi though?

Well, I was comparing features between receivers. My statement regarding DCDi merely communicated that some of the better brands don't include them in their receivers. My statement also communicated that it depends on how important it is that someone has it in a receiver. The same goes for THX.

For example, I would rather have a TV that would not have an issue displaying different types of video than a means to "fix" it. DCDi would not be a deciding factor for me. It may for another who desperately wants to have it. Also, I'm not so concerned with THX. I would rather have equipment that does not have to be excessively tweaked. So, not a deciding factor for me. My mother, on the other hand, is very concerned about having a complete THX system. Definitely a deciding factor for her.

If anything, it's your communication that is unclear. "DCDi is just a brand name..." So, it doesn't work? So, there are better technologies out there? So, any kind of video manipulation sucks? So, just get a better TV? So, what?

What does your statement have to do with the price of cotton?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:25 pm

titan wrote:
Well, I was comparing features between receivers. My statement regarding DCDi merely communicated that some of the better brands don't include them in their receivers. My statement also communicated that it depends on how important it is that someone has it in a receiver. The same goes for THX.
DCDi is just a specific branding/algorithm for Farjouda's deinterlacing tech. Other companies exist that produce products that accomplish the same thing, and within all companies there tend to be products at multiple price/performance points. What company's video processing chip is chose for a specific AVR is a lot less important than what that chip can do (and where in their lineup it sits).

THX is just a certification. It's not something that you "have in a receiver".
titan wrote:
For example, I would rather have a TV that would not have an issue displaying different types of video than a means to "fix" it. DCDi would not be a deciding factor for me. It may for another who desperately wants to have it.
DCDi is not some unique thing that "fixes" video. It's deinterlacing and video processing technology from Farjouda. There are multiple DCDi products at varying price points and capability levels. Other companies, like Anchor Bay and HQV for example, also have products that deinterlace and process video. Some products are better, and some are worse. Anchor Bay is pretty highly regarded I think - not necessarily at a disadvantage vs DCDi and possibly at an advantage. Your "TV that would not have an issue displaying different types of video" would need to incorporate one of these products to accomplish that. Also note that Integra's higher-end receivers do not use DVDi, but rather (better) HQV processing.
titan wrote:
Also, I'm not so concerned with THX. I would rather have equipment that does not have to be excessively tweaked. So, not a deciding factor for me. My mother, on the other hand, is very concerned about having a complete THX system. Definitely a deciding factor for her.
What does "having THX" have to do with equipment needing to be tweaked?
titan wrote:
If anything, it's your communication that is unclear. "DCDi is just a brand name..." So, it doesn't work? So, there are better technologies out there? So, any kind of video manipulation sucks? So, just get a better TV? So, what?
DCDi is just Farjouda's name/branding for its line of video processing controllers. It originated from a specific deinterlacing method that they came up with over a decade ago and got an emmy for early this decade. There are 6 current products under the DCDi umbrella. Heck, 5 of them exist under the "DCDi CInema" label. Other companies, like Anchor Bay and HQV, also provide video processing technology that accomplishes the same tasks, in many cases doing a better job than DCDi branded products.
titan wrote:
What does your statement have to do with the price of cotton?

Nothing. I don't care about cotton.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:38 am

mac_h8r1 wrote:
ludi wrote:
I can only conclude that either the control pod is failing to send the right data to the sub/amp, or the sub/amp is not turning that data into the proper signal. I took both apart to see if there were any loose wires or blown electronics, but everything appeared to be plugged in/soldered in place, and my electronics knowledge is not strong enough to bust out a voltmeter and do any real troubleshooting. I've still got all the parts and am open to suggestions, but I've also come to terms with it being time to move on. The system worked great for 3 years, and not great for 1, and like I said, I'm ready to move to a real receiver that can work some magic with video switching and upconverting as well.

I forget, are you in the US? If you have no further plans for the kit, I wouldn't mind paying shipping plus a small bonus for your wasted time in exchange for getting to look into that.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration