Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Culebra16
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:24 pm

Ok....so I overnighted 2200uF 16v capacitors and my uncle soldered them in for me. I fired up the TV and no clicking and it popped on immediately. However, now it sorta flashes for a sec and then the screen goes out completely.

I need serious help as I am about to cry/breakdown and being a 27 yoa man...that just isn't becoming

domokunrox
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi everybody.

My Samsung TV stopped powering on today after having bouts of taking extended periods of time to turn on for a few days. Was working after a long bout of turning it on this morning. Turned it off, went to church, came back, red ready light on right side was on, and I pushed the on button on the side to turn on it, and the red light just disappeared and wouldn't come back anymore.

TV is a Samsung LN40A550P3FXZA model. Version SQ01.
TV was manufactured on 5/31/08, I purchased it on 7/15/08 through Amazon.com . A perfect year and 7 days later it began to show the symptoms everyone is describing.

Calling Samsung tomorrow to raise a stink about it and see what they are going to do. While many of you have called and received no helpful service from Samsung tech support. I'm going to use a lot of tact in trying to get them to accommodate my problem. TVs built to last like this is absolute ****. Bottom line was that they used these capacitors to pocket a few more bucks for each TV. Its my first HDTV too.

Now, I'm perfectly capable of soldering new caps for my TV as I've done other soldering work pertaining to professional audio PCB component populating, but I shouldn't have to fix an obvious flaw in a Samsung design. I don't believe anyone else should, either.

A quick bit of advice for everyone out there.
Don't be afraid to ask Samsung for replacement power supply board gone bad. Get a RMA or exchange for a bad board and let them fix them and exchange them. It is a consumer electronic, but its nothing too complicated that a 10 year old wouldn't be able to do. Saves you time, and local TV repair shops can go **** themselves.

Bottom line is that these servicemen don't know their head from their ass as far as how those components on the board actually work. Its a waste of your time and everyone's money.

christystarz
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:39 pm

had the same problem. tv kept taking longer and longer to turn on, then one day nothing at all! samsung wouldn't do anything. warranty ran out, bought it in late 2005.

not very tech savvy, my husband tried to desolder the old capacitors but wasn't having any luck, no experience soldering. so took it to electronic repair shop to have the capacitors changed. the guy said it was soldered with silver and sealed (whatever that means). anyway he changed the capacitors (for free! just asked me to make donation to shriners childrens hospital). I was so excited cuz my tv has been out for 6 months. so i took it home and put it back together and nothing... doesn't do a single thing when i press the power button.

will replacing the whole board help? u think i just blew out the whole thing by using it til it didn't even power on?

HELP!!
Last edited by christystarz on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

domokunrox
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:22 pm

Update on my situation.

I called Samsung this morning and the tech support was kind enough to extend my warranty without any hassle for another 3 months after uploading them a copy of my purchase receipt. Referred me to a local repair shop, and they ordered parts same day. They said they'll give me a call for appointment when the boards come in.

So far so good. I'm going to ask them sometime if anybody would be willing to take on repopulating the PCB with better components. I don't fancy having this problem a year later, again. I suggest everyone do the same too.

Also to the above poster who had caps replaced and to anyone else as well.

Electrolytic capacitors are somewhat heat sensitive components. Much like Transistors. You can take it to a repair shop, but does the repair shop have the skills to put in on right without damaging it? If you're shopping around for cheap repairmen, you're going to get what you pay for. Cheap work. Not only that, but some components are DOA.

They don't make anything like they did 30 years ago, people.

Greg Kulbick
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:02 pm

Ok guys, I need help. I''ve had absolutely no luck finding any information on my problem. We even have a guy on our musclecar forum that works for Samsung who asked around and couldn't get any help for me.

I have a 61" Samsung DLP HL-R6167w that is dead. No indicator lights on the front saying something is wrong, just no power at all. After reading this thread I thought I at least had a line on possible problem, but to no avail, all the capacitors I can see are fine. The tv worked perfectly fine the night before it stopped working. No issues at all, no picture or start up problem, then the next night it was just dead. Everything else that was plugged into the same surge protector works fine, even tried switching plugs around and the only thing that didn't work was the tv. Even putting stuff into the plug that the tv was originally plugged into yielded no results. Looked at the main power supply board and couldn't see anything wrong. A couple solder spots are a little discolored, but nothing that looks like it could sever connections.

I need ideas, I need help. I can not have a 61" paperweight. Thanks for taking the time to read this everyone.

billne
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:52 am

andyhock2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem
posted on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

here again.........only 3 seem to have gone on mine! should i just change them all?

While you are in there, replace all four. Ones that havent gone bad, will eventually

butt4tom
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:12 pm

Just fixed my samsung lcd 40 inch 07' TV. It had the same power problem as all the rest of you and the fix took me 45 minutes plus going to the electronic store. I have NO electronic experience. No need to take to repair shop or call Samsung (they will give you the run around).
Easy steps
1. unscrew back (phillips) take off back and leave screws in panel (so don't loose them)
2. unplug connections (about 6 of them, push clip and pull plastic gently)
3. unscrew mother baord (6 screws)
4. identify bulging capacitors (probably four of them, battery looking, what is the number and volts [mine were 1000uF /10V]
5. Go to electronic store buy same uF but more V [1000uF /16V], soldering gun, and rosin core wick [soak up solder] TOTAL= $15.00
6. flip over mother board, press soldering gun and wick over correct leads, and gently wiggle the old capacitor from the other side until it comes out
7. put in new capacitors making sure you put positive and negative lead through correct holes, bend leads to hold them temporarily
8. press soldering gun on the base of lead against mother board and touch solder to the gun (bring the soldering metal in at the same angle as the extra lead)
9. trim excess lead
10. reverse steps 3 to1

pop
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:57 am

Just wanted to add my thanks to the resident experts who offered detailed direction. Was able to fix my TV for $9.42.

Was afraid to try this till my stepson called and said the magic words ......... "I solder". Only took us about 35 minutes!!!

thank you thank you thank you!!!

Mike
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:14 pm

Should i be here? well, here goes. My 14 month old Samsung HL-T5676S (DLP) While watching it all of a sudden it shuts off. I see the red light in front as if it's off but it clicks every 15-20 second's trying to turn itself back on. At this time I have no control over it meaning I try to turn it back on, I even un-plug it and plug it back in as if I were starting over. Sometimes it comes back on within a minute, other time's it takes up to a few minute. Even after I unplug it it's still doing it's own thing trying to turn itself back on. I have already checked the auto-timer and sleep timer but they are not set-up. any ideas? sound like the bulb? circuit overheating? any help is appreciated.

RYS
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:49 pm

Hello, I own a Samsung LNT4671F. I purchased this set from BB in February of 2008 and I DID NOT purchase the $400 extended plan like most people dont. I first started noticing problems with this set on the one year anniversary of the purchase (which just happens to be right when the factory warranty was up) but anyway I was experiencing the clicking on and off just as many of you and the other day the damn thing wouldnt turn on at all. Out of warranty and desperate for help, I had no choice but to turn to Google. Thank god I came across this forum because I was on the edge just about to let samsung screw me again and pay the $300 they wanted to fix it. I found out the problem was just two simple caps on my power supply that were bulged out just enough to tell. (CM852 & CM853) Im lucky theres a liquidation wharehouse not far from my house that sells brand new caps for 15 CENTS!!! Thats right I couldnt believe it either, that is until I got them home and did the 20 minute job of replacing them. They were easy to replace as I have a little solder experience and I already had the right tools. The tv powered right on with NO CLICKING for the first time in months!!! Total cost of job: 30 CENTS!!! And 20 minutes of my time. I just want to thank this forum for saving me $300!!

nmaxday
Gerbil In Training

Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:26 am

Hi All,

Started experiencing this issue on Sunday ( Aug. 2nd). TV model LNT4061FX.

The TV started with the clicking on and off behavior for about 10min, would power on. Once it succeeds in staying on, initially I see the picture and get sound but there are multicolored pixels scattered across the screen. Seems, following an unspecified warm up period I can power the TV off/on and the pixels disappear. TV works fine until I turn it off again and leave it long enough to cool down. This happened for about 5 days, now the TV just clicks on and off. Never fully powering up.

Make a long story short. I started contacting Samsung once I noticed the problem. Finally got them extend our warranty for 30 days. Unfortunately, there are no Samsung service partners within a 50 mile radius from where I reside. Also, they only extended the warranty to cover parts not labor (likely the same defective part). After stumbling upon this thread I feel more confident that I can fix this issue and avoid paying for a service call.

I would like to get some opinions on the following pictures. It appears the top two capacitors in the picture are bulging at the vents. My eyes aren't the best, so if someone would mind confirming this before I go ahead and replace I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
nate

Robbie
Gerbil In Training

Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:47 am

Thanks for all of the useful infomration. Had similar problems with my Samsung 40" LCD TV with delayed turn on for several days followed by the tv not turning on at all! After reading the posts, I decided to open the TV to see if I had the same faulty capacitors. Sure enough, I did. In my case, 3 1000 uF 10V capacitors had overheated and I replaced with 3 1000 uF 35V capacitors purchased at Radio Shack. The job took less than an hour and the tv came on instantly when plugged in. The TV is now working fine. By the way, I contacted Best Buy where I purchased the unit two plus years ago, and they claimed no knowledge of the problem. Pretty useless. Thanks to all that posted especially the pictures, they were so very helpful. I doubt I will buy a Samsung product in the future.

MikeTz
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:43 am

Summary of my issue with a Samsung LN-T4669F

I had the same symptoms described in this thread with my TV. The TV would go through a lengthy cycle of clicking noises followed by eventual power up. Initially this lasted a few cycles but a week later it took minutes and I'm sure it would have finally died as time progressed. My set was purchased in March of 2008 so it was six weeks out of warranty (they extend the warranty to 15 months if you register with Samsung). I called Samsung and at first they didn't want to admit this is a known problem or extend my warranty to cover the fix. I politely asked to speak to a supervisor and explained that I could substantiate that this was a known problem through several internet sites (AVS Forum, TechReport, etc.), that the problem has been known for over a year, that Samsung has corrected this problem in later models, and that I had disassembled the set and verified that two of my power supply electrolytic capacitors were damaged and no longer operating properly.

The supervisor at first was hesitant to offer any admission or solution. I remained calm, explained that I was an electrical engineer with years of experience at designing and testing complex electronics and this was a case of a poor design (marginal ability to operate for the intended life of the product). Finally he agreed to extend my warranty and Samsung quickly came to the house and replaced my power supply with a new unit (P/N: BN44-00166C, about $124.00 if bought outside of warranty).

In my case the two 2200uF, 10V, 105C electrolytic capacitors (CM852, CM853) had failed. After reading this thread I would pass on the following advice for those that will be making the capacitor repair themselves. If you buy Radio Shack electrolytic caps they are rated for 85C not 105C. They will work but may have a more limited life. If you are interested in getting caps at 105C there are many vendors (I used MCM electronics) and it is OK to get caps with one step up in voltage capacity (I replaced 2200uF 10V caps with 2200uF 16V 105C caps) assuming they fit on the circuit board (my 4469 power supply is different than the 4051).

My TV is working fine, Samsung paid for the repair, and they let me keep my old power supply board. I ordered new caps for the original power supply and will replace the defective units so I have a good spare power supply in the event the new Samsung supply (with the same lousy caps in it) fails 16 months from now like its sister.

bobert80
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:39 pm

I have the same problem with the capacitors on my ln-s4041d all 4 are blown. Anyone know where you can purchase replacement capacitors online? went to radioshack and they said they no longer carry them at the stores and that they were out of stock online. Any ideas??

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:52 pm

digikey.com

W2ICA
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:40 pm

The one thing I have not noticed anyone mention is the digital board. Yes, the capacitors on the Power supply board are defective, but what has the constant trying to start tv caused elsewhere. I am currently fixing an LNS4051 that did exhibit the common defective caps in the supply, but have also noticed that IC901 marked STP03 is running exceptionally hot. This IC has no heat sink therefore should not be getting as hot as it is. I am waiting the ok from the customer, but I have a feeling the Digital board was taken out by the bad caps. I will post an update when I have the new board in and tested.

Rick

blindboy
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:04 am

Please HELP~~!

Hi I have a very specific question about these !@#$%ing caps. I'm looking at my board and all the posted photos of the board and it seems that CS806 is in a position of reversed polarity in all posted examples.

The board indicates that negative is one side but all the caps and from what I can gather of replacement photos have been installed with the negative lead pointing to the positive. I've seen someone else post that polarity is important and to mirror or mimic the original installation with the replacements... am I somehow mistaken? My assumption would be to put the new cap in with the polarity facing the appropriate lead... but all the boards seem to dictate the opposite.

Please reply as I have all tools and parts set up but don't want to proceed if my logic is wrong.

MikeTz
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:55 pm

Blindboy:

You are correct about capacitor CM806; it is positioned with its negative terminal opposite the other three. There is an excellent picture of this posted by Zazik on the first page of this thread along with detailed illustrations of a proper capacitor replacement. When you unsolder the bad caps you will see a polarity diagram on the cap side of the circuit board. The marking shaped like a "U" is for the negative capacitor lead and the marking shaped like a "T" is the positive capacitor terminal. The bold crescent shaped marking also corresponds to the negative side of the capacitor. Just make sure you insert the new caps according to the markings and you will be OK.

cj_in_pa
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:28 am

I have been following. Samsung 40" LCD. I have replaced the four (4) capacitors twice now problem is still happening. Polarity is good. Soldering is good. I replaced with radio shack 35V capacitors. TV works fine right away then in the morning the capacitors are "blown". (bulging and leaking) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ralis
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LCD TV 26A450 Power problems

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:11 pm

Just read the other thread and am having the same problem as the LNS 4051. Can I repair my TV in a similar fashion like the LNS 4051. What parts are required?

Thanks a lot

ralis

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Samsung LCD TV 26A450 Power problems

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:30 pm

ralis wrote:
Just read the other thread and am having the same problem as the LNS 4051. Can I repair my TV in a similar fashion like the LNS 4051. What parts are required?

Thanks a lot

ralis

Lets keep all Samsung TV's with bad caps in one thread please. I merged the threads, return to your normally scheduled bulging capacitor discussion.
-SpotTheCat

calcappone
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi Guys.This forum is my only hope. I have a LN-T4061F and it's been exhibiting the same symptoms most of you are having. So I popped the back off and sure enough I have 2 blown caps on my PS(CM853 & CM853). I know the last time it powered on I left it on to for almost a week in fear of it not powering on again. But I decided to turn it off so I wouldn't mess it up beyond fixing. After that it never powered back on. So I'm hoping that replacing the 2 caps will bring my baby back alive. The shop want $100 to look at it but I don't know what they might do when they get it. So I'm gonna take matters in my own hands. never soldered before so i'm a bit scared but I found a soldering tutorial like on here that will help. So guys wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes. and thanks in advance to everyone who posted info and pics to help. Even if it has a problem more then the caps, with people like you guys on the net, I know the answer is not far behind. Thanks!!!

calcappone
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Well I replaced the 2 2200uf 10v with 2200uf 16v and guess what? IT WORKS!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you. The only thing is that the 2200uf 16v were 2x as big as the old one so they are touching. Will that be a problem in the future? also i couldn't push one all the way down but it still worked Thank you

danielm
Gerbil In Training

Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:25 pm

I registered here just to say THANK YOU to all the previous posters for their help!!! I got my 4061F working again with all the information from this thread! All 4 of my capacitors were bulging and 2 were leaking :x . It started out as it taking 2 or 3 "clicks" for the TV to turn on and it lasted that way for a few months (each time taking just a little longer), until over the last weekend, it just would NOT turn back on. About 2 months ago, it started the colored lines all over the screen, and then you would have to turn it off and let it go through the clicking cycle again. I used 4 1000uf 35v capacitors from my local radio shack, and it is working great! I took some pix if anyone is interested, I will post later! Thank you again!!!!

theberbs
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:26 am

Hello Everyone,

I too had been experiencing the same power up problem. I googled "samsung power click" and found this site. So I removed the back from my 14 month-old LNT5265F and sure enough two bulged capacitors. I decided to take the easy way out and ordered a new power supply board rather than just replacing the caps. I was pleased that my new board arrived rather quickly. However, when I opened the box and inspected the new board I could see that the same two capacitors were bulged. :o This was supposed to be a new board. Not having a degree in electrical engineering I took the board to a local electronics parts dealer and they agreed that the caps were bad and sold me five new ones for a total of $2.50. I sent the alleged "new" board back to the supplier who shall remain nameless unless I don't get a refund. A coworker who is better than I with a soldering iron replaced the caps on by old board for me. I reinstalled it last night a viola it powered right up. Problem solved for less than a gallon of gas! Thank you all so much for your contributions here. By the way, the guys at Gateway Electronics in St. Louis were very helpful. They have a web-site if you need to order some caps.

bluegrass
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:39 pm

We have the same "click and then die" problem for our LN-T5271, which was bought on December 2007. We ordered the capacitors (CM852,853,880 and 876) thorugh amazon.com. After replacement, the TV can be turned on. Thank lots for the information here. One thing I want to mention here. It seems the picture quality is not as good as before, but not obviously. Some time I can see a line (not easy to see although) moving from bottom to up. But that line is only shown sometime. It is not shown in evey channel either. Anyone has the same experience? Will these capacitors (made by a different company, one step large in volt) affect picture quality? or should I ask someone to calibrate the TV to make it disappear? Thank you

Beep
Gerbil In Training

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:13 pm

Many, many thanks to all who have helped out on this matter. I was pretty much at the end of my rope and patience when my 46 in (model no. LN-T-4665 F) set clicked a total of 84 times last evening before it would finally turn itself on. After carefully reading the posts and replies I summoned the courage to take my Samsung TV apart and check the capacitors. Lo and behold, two of them were bulging exactly like the photos that Zazak included with his original post. I proceeded to make my way to Sayal's Electronics in Mississauga and purchased a couple of replacement capacitors (keeping in mind that increased voltage would not hurt). Having never soldered anything before I was a bit nervous about the de-soldering and then the soldering part of the process. But alas, after gently heating the damaged capacitors, removing them and installing the newly purchased ones (total cost of about $5 Canadian) all worked out great. The TV now turns on as it's supposed to: after just one press of the power button.....no extra clicking. All is right with my world again ! Again, your comments and encouragement to each other through the forum were the main reason why my cost turned out to be the price of gas to Sayal's and the $ 5 in parts, instead of the many hundreds that the local TV repair guys were talking about. :D :D

Grateful Poster
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:35 pm

There is a solution to this problem about 1/2 way down this page (with photos). It is a godsend!!!! I spent my 12 dollars at Radio Shack and I now have a working TV. If you don't want to solder, you can buy a new circuit board at www.encompassparts.com . The circuit board model number is BN44-00134A . I paid $100 bucks and have that as a backup. I'm so excited this worked.

Just replace the four capacitors and you'll be up and running.

Thank you so much for this forum and this posting. It saved me another grand on a TV!!!!!!!!!

willcam1013
Gerbil In Training

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 am

I have the samsung lnt4661 LCD that had the exact symptoms as described.

I found two caps ruptured and were replaced at the cost of 3 bucks. The difficulty rate Id say was a 5 out of 10. Pesonally had to have a second set of hands while removing and installing the caps with the low heat soldering iron. Total time was 45 minutes from start to finish . Tv powered up as it should on the first try ... Thanks to all for sharing. I would have went and spent another 2 grand if i didnt research this topic for the entire 60 seconds it took to find this site. Bad news is i just bought a 50 inch samsng plasma days before my lcd went down at just 18 months old. Last samsung for me.

professor
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:18 am

Many thanks to everyone for the contributions to this very informative thread. I performed a successful repair of my own Samsung 52" LCD by replacing the bad 6.3V rated caps and I compiled a video HOWTO for individuals that might be a bit hesitant to try this (relatively easy) repair themselves. This video will show some of the steps required to remove the back panel and the power supply board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE

Thanks again, especially to those individuals who posted the great photos! Hopefully someone from Samsung takes notice of our tinkering to correct this design flaw for future customers.