Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Valhalla926
Gerbil
Topic Author

$50-$75 Speaker recommendations

Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:34 am

Yes, another speaker recommendation thread. I've finally gotten sick of my Logitech X-140s, and decided now was a good time to upgrade. Only problem is I have a limited budget.

Here's what I'm looking at right now:
Behringer MS16 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836196006
Creative T10 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116035
Edifier RT1200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836708011

I know next to nothing about speakers, and even less about which brands are good, so if I have made a bad decision, let me know. I could do better with a higher budget, but not everything works out like you want. Also, I'm trying to avoid 2.1 setups, but if it's worthwhile, I can go that way. I already have some headphones, so please don't tell me to buy some.

gohan
Gerbil First Class

Re: $50-$75 Speaker recommendations

Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:53 am

I am no audiophile but i hv heard Logitech Z-4 speakers at a friends place and they are pretty decent for the price point of USD 70. You might want to check their reviews on net.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6836121130

Edit: Why exactly ru trying to avoid 2.1 setups ? In my opinion they are much more fun than just plain old 2.0 setups.

Valhalla926
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:58 am

Space constraints mostly, but I might just deal with it and go for a decent 2.1 setup.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:41 am

I'd like to add to the request; I recently had the amplifier die on my excellent Klipsch 2.1 set, and have replaced the sub/amp box with a surround receiver that powers the Klipsch speakers and a passive 8" sub in an enormous box beneath the desk. The new setup also doesn't sound near as good nor is near as compact as the Klipsch unit was, but it was also free.

I would like to replace it, if only to get some space back, and I find that while I've always loved the sound that Klipsch speaker systems produced for the price, I've never ever really used their full potential, probably maxing out at 1/4th total volume, usually running much quieter than that. So, I'm wondering if there is another 2.1 system readily available, that approaches the sound quality of Klipsch, I'm wary of Logitech but understand that they are the chief alternative here, that is also reasonably priced?

eric93se
Graphmaster Gerbil
Location: Home of the most reprehensible false flag attack in the world.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:56 am

Dell aparently has the M-audio studio AV30 for $90 FS in Buy.com's marketplace, Link

Airmantharp, if you like those Klipsch's so much why not open up the old amp and try to see whats wrong with it, could be a bad transistor.
Increase your half open TCIP connections with the Half-open.com utility.

Kurkotain
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:02 am

find the logitech z cinema's on the internet or in a store sale, the sofware is buggy as hell, but when you learn to live with its quirks, they become the best option at the (sale) 70$ - 80$ price point. The bass uses a lot of space (its enormous) but they have 5.1 SRS truSurround simulation, and let me tell you its not the best i've heard but its pretty damn good; (works nicely in games and movies) the speakers are not tailored to max power (volume, they have a electronic limitator somewhere, but still they can be VERY loud) but they are tailored to sound quality, so even at max volume, no part of the set will distort sound.

depending on how much are you ready to deal with the software quirks (never disconect them while WMP is running) its an excellent set for the money.
i've heard that the z-4 are also a good set but i really can't speak for it since i've never heard one.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Advanced ... 385&sr=8-1

80$. my 0.02$
Asus x83vm-x1, that's my main system: p8400, nvidia 9600m gs, 4g ddr2 (currently 2)

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:15 am

eric93se wrote:
Airmantharp, if you like those Klipsch's so much why not open up the old amp and try to see whats wrong with it, could be a bad transistor.

I'm definitely looking for something with a sub; I've no intention of getting a 2.0 system hoping to 'hear' the bass that I obviously cannot feel, because there isn't a driver big enough to produce it. The Z-4's do look good and I've seen them about, but what are you talking about with software Kurkotain?

With regard to opening up the amplifier, I'll tell you that it's blowing fuses, be they higher or lower amperage than specified. I can definitely work through the mechanical aspects of disassembly, screws are easy, but I'm most certainly not qualified to be digging around inside electronics. I'm not stupid, I just have literally no experience here. I understand that the situation cannot get worse however, and if I were to magically fix it I'd be doing better than I was before; my post here was more along the lines of searching for a viable retail replacement. I'll start a thread if I find myself wanting to dig into the Klipsch unit and try a repair :).

Kurkotain
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:37 am

When you use the z cinema for more than a month, you understand what i'm talking about: the software has its little quirks that can become a real headache (specially when you move the set to another place) or since i use them with my laptop, when you want to move it away, you have to first close WMP (or whatever program you're using to play music) then off the speakers, and then close (kill) the speakers program, (without the program you don't have control over the volume of the speakers or the SRS simulation so using them without the program is not an option) if you don't do this, and reconnect the speakers to the computer then both the z cinema software and WMP will crash and you'll have to disconnect the set, restart the computer and connect them again. i know its a pain in the arse but you learn to live with it, and there's other situations that will end up crashing the software, if you are lucky only exiting the software and opening it again will solve the problem (unless WMP crashes)

it seems like a big deal, but most of it is because i'm using them with my laptop, if you use them with a desktop, i'm sure most of the problems would never manifest since you would never mess with the usb connection...
Asus x83vm-x1, that's my main system: p8400, nvidia 9600m gs, 4g ddr2 (currently 2)

Valhalla926
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:54 pm

I'm really getting close to going for the Z Cinema, even though it seems like the opposite of everything I wanted. It's got a great big subwoofer, and the price after shipping is over 100, but dang it, it's tempting.

One question about it, though. How would I go about running two sources through it? I have my PS3 at my desk and currently run it's audio through my line-in port on my sound card. Would there be an auxiliary port on the speakers, or does the software "see" line-in or aux connections?

Kurkotain
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:17 pm

sadly the z cinema only has 2 inputs: the "digital" usb input you use to connect it with your computer, and a aux 3.5mm jack at the right side of the right speaker; problem is, the SRS simulation only works with the usb connection. and i don't know if you could route the sound card input towards the z cinema since it usually bypasses and soundcard. windows detects it as a totally different sound output system...

it would depend as how are you routing the sound from the ps3 to your computer...but the thing is unless you can route the ps3 audio towards th z cinema (which is in my opinion not posible...) you'll lose the SRS simulation (not a show stopper but still)

Valhalla926
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:39 pm

Bummer. I just use a RCA to 3.5mm adapter and plug it into my line-in port. Oh well, I'll keep looking then. Thanks anyways.

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:28 pm

See if you can borrow an extra $25 from someone and invest in these:

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_ ... ucts_id=89

Very good audiophile-level speakers for the money.
Under Construction Forever~~~

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:48 pm

Kurotetsu wrote:
See if you can borrow an extra $25 from someone and invest in these:

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_ ... ucts_id=89

Very good audiophile-level speakers for the money.

At first glance, those look huge; but when you realize that the sub is only 5", then it puts them into proper proportion. For reference, my Klipsch satellites sit on either side of my 27.5" monitor, with the left one in between that monitor and my secondary 20.1", so I don't have a much room for expansion. I do, however, like the idea of plugging traditional Swans, which I would consider a cut above the Klipsch and definitely the Logitech's, into my system. Has to beat what I have now, if I find myself ready to upgrade the sound system and cannot get my Klipsch working.

TL;DR: these satisfy what my first post in this thread was requesting.

Valhalla926
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:13 pm

Hate to breathe life into a dying thread, but I guess this is it? The best 2.0 speakers for $75 is a set of $110 2.1 speakers? I know there is little in my price range that is audiophile quality, but what comes closest?

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:43 pm

Valhalla926 wrote:
Hate to breathe life into a dying thread, but I guess this is it? The best 2.0 speakers for $75 is a set of $110 2.1 speakers? I know there is little in my price range that is audiophile quality, but what comes closest?

For $75 its difficult to find anything that would actually sound better than the Logitechs. Theres the Swan 1080MkII or the M-Audio AV-40 which are both popular and very affordable audiophile speakers, but they both sit just outside your budget. Your best bet would be to pick up a cheap desktop digital amp like this Dayton DTA-1 (which I believe is just a rebadged Sonic Impact T-Amp) then shop around for passive speakers of your choice. This was a popular option some time back, and that amp was usually paired off with these Insignia speakers from Best Buy. This option is slightly cheaper than the above two sets, but its still over $75.

To get to the point...I can't really think of anything. I would suggest waiting and saving a bit more before you start shopping.

EDIT #1:

Best Buy has these Sony passives that are cheaper than the Insignias. Paired with the Dayton amp, the whole thing comes out to roughly $96 and some change. I've never heard those Sony speakers before, but I'm fairly certain they'll sound LEAGUES better than the Logitechs you're using now (or practically anything from Logitech really).

EDIT #2:

I just found these M-Audio AV20 for $80. I have no idea how they sound. I know the M-Audio AV40s sound excellent, but I can't say if that carries over to these. They definitely fall into your budget though. Though, personally, I'd still go with the amp + passive route. Its how I started out at least.
Under Construction Forever~~~