Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

TR Significant Others FF 2009

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:05 am

It's that time again! I've set up the SO league and sent emails to all the previous year's members who are playing. Additionally, idchafee and his wife said that they're in when we talked at the BBQ this past weekend. That puts us at 8 teams, just like last year.

If you and your SO (spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend, whatever) want to play, respond here or PM me. We've got room for one more couple, at the most since 10 teams is a pretty optimal number.

Scoring is TR standard, as are the rosters, with TWO exceptions.

1. There is a QB/RB/WR/TE flex spot, lovingly known as the "Take a Chance on Me" spot (cue the ABBA). If you've got that one guy you've wanted to try out, but don't want to move a starter out for him, this is your spot.

2. Special Teams return yards and touchdown are included with the defense you draft. Return yards are calculated like a QB's points, 1 point for every 25 yards; touchdowns are 6.

There you have it! Get signed up and let's pit couple against couple for the second year in a row.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Re: TR Significant Others FF 2009

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:20 am

My wife and I are game, of course.

Gotta defend my title after all 8)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:56 pm

I did not get an email.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:28 pm

DerFunk, YGPM. =)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:36 pm

got it. we'll be joining soon.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:28 am

in
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:56 pm

I've joined, and sent this info to my wife. She should be joined shortly.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Rolling20s wrote:

Scoring is TR standard, as are the rosters, with TWO exceptions.

1. There is a QB/RB/WR/TE flex spot, lovingly known as the "Take a Chance on Me" spot (cue the ABBA). If you've got that one guy you've wanted to try out, but don't want to move a starter out for him, this is your spot.

2. Special Teams return yards and touchdown are included with the defense you draft. Return yards are calculated like a QB's points, 1 point for every 25 yards; touchdowns are 6.

So will the a lineup look like this then exactly?

QB
WR
WR
WR
RB
RB
FLEX
TE
K
D
Bench
Bench
Bench
Bench
Bench (forgot if the normal league has 4 or 5 bench spots)

Or maybe you'll be taking a bench spot or one of the WR spots away to make room for the flex spot?

Just curious

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Go to the league home page and click on your team name. It's grayed out behind a "31 days and XX hours" notice, but it's there:

QB, 3xWR, 2xRB, TE, Flex, K and DEF

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:09 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Go to the league home page and click on your team name. It's grayed out behind a "31 days and XX hours" notice, but it's there:

QB, 3xWR, 2xRB, TE, Flex, K and DEF

Thanks. I wonder how many bench spots there will be.
This will be the first league I've played in that has a flex spot. It'll be fun.
Isn't it unusual to allow for a QB to go in there though? I thought flex was usually WR/RB/TE only.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:56 pm

I found a better way to see roster stuff. Go to the league home page, hover over "League" and choose "Scoring and Settings". According to that, there are 6xBN spots, in addition to all the starting spots. The QB going in the flex spot almost ensures that I'll have a QB in there 99% of the time - unless I happen to get a 3rd awesome RB, a QB should outscore any WR or TE that I might have that isn't already starting. So maybe a little weird, but this way it might actually affect the outcome of a week instead of being "only" 3-10 points.

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:45 pm

The trick with that flex spot (which was my wife's idea; I thought it was pretty cool) if that you might not have that QB available to you, depending on when you're trying to fill it; might not be any good QBs available.

That having been said, if folks generally think that it's basically going to become a QB2 spot and would rather have it droppd in favor of a RB/WR/TE flex position, then just let me know and we can make the change.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:17 am

Rolling20s wrote:
That having been said, if folks generally think that it's basically going to become a QB2 spot and would rather have it droppd in favor of a RB/WR/TE flex position, then just let me know and we can make the change.

This is what I'm thinking would happen, too. So I guess I would be in favor of changing it for this reason.

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:28 am

Just talked to the wife and she would like me to state that a QB can also be your riskiest play, as they can lose you points if they lay a fat egg. So that's definitely something to keep in mind as well.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 am

well, that is also a fair point. Let's try it out and if it flops, we'll try something new next year. :p

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:19 am

That's what I'd like to do.

Also, derFunk, I don't think your wife is signed up yet. We have an open spot and I think I've accounted for everyone else.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:30 pm

i shall beat her tonight.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:42 pm

OK, she's in as Romo-sexual.

Are we all playing our wives during week 1?

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:22 pm

Looks like you and Mrs. DerFunk, as well as Ian and his wife are playing your spouse week 1. I'm playing Mrs. Frobozz and my wife is playinf our returning champion.

EDIT: Looks like it will be spouse-vs-spouse week 1. I've got it set up so the spouses are in the same division. That means that Weeks 1 and 8, you'll be playing your spouse. Those weeks have been designated as Rivaly Weeks (for bragging rights, etc). I think that also means that it'll be spouse against spouse for the first round of the playoffs. Everyone makes the playoffs, so that'll be your chance to trounce your partner and secure your spot in the semi-finals, even if your season has been teh suck.

EDIT 2: Took a look at the playoff thing again, and there's no real way to set up the intra-couple first playoff round. So, a consolation prize (and this means nothing since everyone makes the playoffs) the division winners (i.e. the winning spouse) will be given the top four seeds in the playoffs. Call that your bragging rights. =)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:57 pm

yeah, i was thinking it looked like spouse vs. spouse. that's awesome.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:52 pm

You could give the top two teams a first round BYE, that'd cool maybe.

Could the draft time be a little later then 9:00p? Say 9:30 or 10?

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:01 am

No problrm. 10pm it is. I'd rather have everyone there then have to have people dashing back and forth to take care of the kiddies. =)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:07 am

yeah, that'll work better for us as well - the kid SHOULD be down by 8pm (central) but she's not always. By 9 she should be down.

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:23 pm

Well, the draft was last night, and I think it went pretty well. Hope the derFunks and the stiffies are happy with their teams, since they weren't able to make it to the draft. Good luck all!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:11 pm

We were in Boston for anniversary. My phone beeped at me to remind me of a draft, but I was nowhere near a computer. Sorry! :oops:

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:38 am

No problem. =) I mainly worry that the auto-drafts will end up with crappy teams, but everyone's roster looked pretty solid to me.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:01 am

I must say that drafting people for return yards was even more mind-racking then drafting for PPR teams (did my first one of those last week). I will say I had the return yards thing in mind a bit too much I think during this draft. I'm happy with my QB's though :) We'll see how this goes. Eddie Royal, Sproles, etc. have inflated worth in this format.

I was thinking to myself while watching the picks that you in particular also had all that in mind for your picks.
I wanted Sproles!!! :)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:24 pm

Rolling20s wrote:
Well, the draft was last night, and I think it went pretty well. Hope the derFunks and the stiffies are happy with their teams, since they weren't able to make it to the draft. Good luck all!

Yeah, sorry about that. I was hip-deep in something else and email/calendar wasn't open. I fired up email afterwards and it was "whoops, I just plain forgot".

Also it's a handy bit of info - Windows Live calendars don't run in the background or tell you anything unless Windows Live Mail is actually open.

Aside from getting the suspended Brandon Marshall, I'm pretty happy with my team.

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:54 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
I must say that drafting people for return yards was even more mind-racking then drafting for PPR teams (did my first one of those last week). I will say I had the return yards thing in mind a bit too much I think during this draft. I'm happy with my QB's though :) We'll see how this goes. Eddie Royal, Sproles, etc. have inflated worth in this format.

I was thinking to myself while watching the picks that you in particular also had all that in mind for your picks.
I wanted Sproles!!! :)

Fortunately, it's not a huge bump in points with the return yards. Last year, in another league, the return yards were scored the same way as receiving/rushing yards. This year they're scored like QB yards. Much more reasonable. And yeah, I like Sproles a lot.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:17 am

So, yahoo clearly hates my family. My wife tried to log in yesterday to change her roster around, and it said her account was disable, click here to re-enable it then wait 24 hours. So today she tried and it says her password is wrong, and the info she puts in (e-mail address, birthday, etc) doesn't match what the idiots have in their database either