Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

d0g_p00p
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:56 am

Hey all sorry if this has been brought up already. I wrote a letter to Kazaa about that crappy spyware crud, here is the letter I set them;

I have enjoyed using Kazaa as my means to get access to digital media that I could not have otherwise found. I have found some of my favorite movies and songs that I cannot purchase because it is not out on DVD/CD/Vinyl, etc. However I have decided to uninstall your software and tell everyone that I know, *never* to use your software again, you might ask "why" and I think you know the answer to this question. I was very disturbed to find that when I installed the new version of Kazaa it also installed some POS software by the company Brilliant Digital. I have read the ULA after I installed the software and frankly I was very angry that you would let this company install this spyware into my home computer and let the software update and reinstall without my knowledge, to me this is a virus. The fact that you let this "software" into your install has made me realize that you are in the same boat as Brilliant Digital, and that boat is manned by scum. I realize that I am one voice out of millions of people that you have infected and that you don't really give a flying **** about me, the end user, the reason why you are still in business. I do however know personally 14 people who have uninstalled your software and have used other software for the same functionality, myself being one of them, and they know 14 people and those people know 14 people, etc you get the idea. Again, you violated my trust and millions of other peoples trust by allowing this filth to be installed at the same time as your software. Next time when you have your meetings on how to get money, just keep updates on Brilliant Digital, and watch how they fail their "business model" and keep notes, you will soon join them.

This is a generic template on complaitns, please let Kazaa know how **** pissed you are, it *just* might work..

-dp

deedude
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:26 am

I can't believe Kaaza would sink so low. granted, the times are changing and i know several web sites that have been shut down due to funding, but Trojaning unsuspecting people's PCs with software from a "respectable" company is just too far. Granted, had i more throughly read the EULA i would have thought otherwise. fortunately, my install of Kaaza was bj0rked and only half of it got put in. (i never thought i'd be saying that about installing something :eek:) but still. i had to de-trojan brilliant's crap from two of my friend's computers. not fun

In a perfect universe, God would reserve a special room in Hell for the slimeballs who write programs like this

(originaly posted by Tannin on the storagereview.com forum. link [url=http://"http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=2320]here[/url]

i for one will never use kaaza again, nor will my friends. odds are they know people, and they know people... and yeah

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-04 08:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: deedude on 2002-04-04 08:27 ]</font>

VooBass
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:24 am

Thanks for the heads up d0g_p00p. This past week I had begun considering giving Kazaa a try again but after reading your post I think I will pass. For good. I have read elsewhere that Brilliant Digital is one rung below child molestors so Kazaa's choice to cozy up to them says a lot about Kazaa.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:12 pm

I'm glad I stop using their software. I never liked the client much anyway. Boy, I miss the good old Napster days.

I'm getting tired of stuff like this and shareware that after I install it I find out its really adware. If an app is any good, I'll buy it. If not I don't use it and get rid of it.

d0g_p00p
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:25 pm

Well here is the response that i got back from Kazaa;

Dear KaZaA User

We receive thousands of e-mails each week. We read all our
mails but unfortunately we can't answer all of them - we
also have to keep KaZaA running and develop new cool
features.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

The KaZaA Team

Uhh, they read all e-mails? I guess I am not worth it to use their software. Again, get rid of Kazaa

Steel
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:37 pm

we also have to keep KaZaA running and develop new cool features.
Does that worry anyone else... :smile:

d0g_p00p
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:48 pm

Here is the reply that I sent in full

Hello Kazaa,

Below is an email I sent you, with the response that you sent me. I understand that you "read all your emails" and so by judging your response to my initial email I guess I am not your target audience. Well I have decided to pass this email and your response to every single Usenet group, Web site, personal friends, Internet acquaintances, and I am in the process of setting up a web address and domain name that talks about my experiences with your company and business practices. Keep in mind I have spread this though all of the "main" and popluar web sites. I am not about to tell you what they are, but think of TH, TR, AND, HRD, *RS, etc, you get the point. I hope that your web bot can pickup this and I might get a human response from one of your marketing drones. People already know about the distasteful business that you do, but with the automated response that I got, it gives me more ammo against you. Below is the original email that I sent you and below that is your response.

--------------orignal email--------------------------------------------------

I have enjoyed using Kazaa as my means to get access to digital media that I
could not have otherwise found. I have found some of my favorite movies and
songs that I cannot purchase because it is not out on DVD/CD/Vinyl, etc.
However I have decided to uninstall your software and tell everyone that I
know, *never* to use your software again, you might ask "why" and I think
you know the answer to this question. I was very disturbed to find that when
I installed the new version of Kazaa it also installed some POS software by
the company Brilliant Digital. I have read the ULA after I installed the
software and frankly I was very angry that you would let this company
install this spyware into my home computer and let the software update and
reinstall without my knowledge, to me this is a virus. The fact that you let
this "software" into your install has made me realize that you are in the
same boat as Brilliant Digital, and that boat is manned by scum. I realize
that I am one voice out of millions of people that you have infected and
that you don't really give a flying **** about me, the end user, the reason
why you are still in business. I do however know personally 14 people who
have uninstalled your software and have used other software for the same
functionality, myself being one of them, and they know 14 people and those
people know 14 people, etc you get the idea. Again, you violated my trust
and millions of other peoples trust by allowing this filth to be installed
at the same time as your software. Next time you have your meetings on how
to get money, just keep updates on Brilliant Digital, and watch how they
fail their "business model" and keep notes, you will soon join them.

-Josh Broughton
-----------------------Here is your response to my e-mail--------------------------------------

Dear KaZaA User

We receive thousands of e-mails each week. We read all our
mails but unfortunately we can't answer all of them - we
also have to keep KaZaA running and develop new cool
features.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

The KaZaA Team

----------------------end------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun looking for work.

-JB

murray
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:59 am

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:19 am

So what was the new reply?

fink
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:07 pm

What about KaaZa lite?

Used to use morpheous, but that went to the dogs at the last update....

0oALio0

Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:44 am

The new kazaa lite works quite well actually. No ads :)