Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

I Need a New Camera Bag

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:34 pm

So, my current bag is slowly but surely falling apart. Literally. I ride my bike to work and I hit a bump and the zipper popped.

I need a new camera bag as soon as possible. The current bag will hold out for as long as it takes for one to be shipped to me. There's also a bag inside the bag that zips, so if that falls out the gear is still protected.

I found a bag that I could possibly love. The Kata 3N1-10. It does have a five year warranty, and maybe an upgrade to a lifetime warranty. It looks like it'll hold my Konica Minolta 7D with Minolta AF 24-105mm (D) lens attached, Minolta 5600HS (D) Flash, Minolta battery charger, Energizer AA quick battery charger, a dozen Compact Flash memory cards, and an extra thing or two. It only weighs 2.6 Lbs. and does the crisscross straps for additional security for my biking. Oh, and seeing as I'm now an outdoors type, it has a raincoat.

So, before I pull the trigger, I'd like to get some feedback either on this bag or another you might recommend. Seeing as this is an unplanned for purchase, I need to keep it under $100. It needs to be compact, but roomy enough. Light, but tough. Functional, but comfortable.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: I Need a New Camera Bag

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:50 pm

I've liked Kata's products when I've handled them in stores. I have one of Lowepro's sling bags. The sling bag concept is excellent for quick access, but for a lot of gear over a long time period backpacks are more comfortable. If I was shopping now I'd strongly consider the Kata with its ability to act as a sling or a backpack and overall more flexible configuration. I'd also look at the Tenba, and highly recommend doing your buying in-person if at all possible, so you can check out how your gear works in each option and the relative comfort levels of each. I know it's not always possible to shop locally, but for something with the ergonomic and ease of use implications of a camera bag, it's highly recommended.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:22 pm

I was considering the Kata DR-467 myself. There's a deal on Amazon for one at $80 (same cost as the others) that includes a free Manfrotto 790B monopod.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Yeah, the places that carry the Kata Bags are several hours away. It'd actually cost me more to try it out than it would for me to buy and return online.

And now I'm torn between the Tenba Mixx and the Kata. The scales are still tipped in favor of the Kata if only for the yellow raincoat. Inclement weather visibility for the win.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:24 am

I've settled on the Kata 3N1-10. I'll let you guys know what I think about it when I get it.

Spec4
Gerbil

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 pm

I was looking at getting the Kata 3N1-10 or even the 20 for my new camera, have you had time to use yours? I'd appreciated a first hand account of the build quality, comfort and if the 10 was an adequate size for your needs?
ASRock Z87 Extreme 4|i5-4670K|GTX 770|Seasonic 660W |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - OS | Corsair 16GB | Z-5300e | 2408WFP | Win10 Lumia 950 | Malibal Lotus P150EM....GO HAWKS!!

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Well, if I had known what I know now about the 10, I would have gotten the 20. There is just enough room for my stuff, but that's it.

In the camera compartment, I have my camera with lens attached my flash and the camera's spare battery and charger. In the top compartment I have the charger holding the spare set of AA batteries and the wall wart for it. On one side pocket I have a lot of CF cards and the other has my lens cleaner and the camera's 3' USB cable.

It's pretty full and I have just enough room to put my "paperwork" and monetary deposit in the top compartment. Ideally, my AA charger and associated stuff would be in the camera compartment. Also, I was not able to arrange the camera compartment as I would have liked. It is really geared towards having the camera face one of two ways. And, while it has a little pocket for a DMP, it does not have a hole through which to feed the headphone cable. (That's not a very big deal as there are two zippers things for the top compartment, so a small opening can be created through the zipper.)

On the upside, it is quite small, very lightweight, and carries well in any arrangement of the straps. The equipment is held in place quite well and the weight does not shift in the bag. (This is actually very noticeable on a bike.)

In short, despite the little amount of room, I am not dissatisfied enough to return the bag, but I definitely would have upgraded a size in the first place. (Oh, and the rain jacket that it has works very well and is a nice, bright, reflective kind of yellow.)

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Yum, that Kata 3N1-10 sure is a nice looking bag. To hop onto titan's thread, I'm shopping for a good camera bag myself. I'll want to keep it small and compact - a Panasonic DMC-GF1, 20mm f1.7 pancake lens, a tabletop tripod and the Panasonic 7-14mm f4 zoom when it comes out. I've used lowepro bags (sling and backpack) in the past, but am looking for something more discreet that doesn't shout 'Thief Magnet' for when I am travelling. Also, traditional DSLR bags are too deep (not to mention big) for the GF1, and P&S bags don't have room for spare lenses. What are other (micro) FourThirds users using?
Wind, Sand and Stars.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:55 pm

My friend has a Crumpler camera backpack. Crumpler is an Australian company that makes all kinds of bags, and their camera backpack is pretty sweet. The model my friend has is not as easy to access as some of the Lowe or Kata bags, but that's part of the security features, I guess. It has a decent amount of room inside.

Crumpler has since added a slew of photo backpacks, satchels, etc.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Voldenuit

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:52 am

FireGryphon wrote:
My friend has a Crumpler camera backpack. Crumpler is an Australian company that makes all kinds of bags, and their camera backpack is pretty sweet. The model my friend has is not as easy to access as some of the Lowe or Kata bags, but that's part of the security features, I guess. It has a decent amount of room inside.

Crumpler has since added a slew of photo backpacks, satchels, etc.

Yeah, I have a Crumpler laptop backpack that's lasted me since 2001 and is still going strong*. They have a store in KL, so maybe I'll pop in the next time I'm there and check their range out.

* I've also taken it with me through jungles in south east asia and snow storms in midwest America. Tough little bugger.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:21 am

I have the LowePro CompuTrekker AW. It is a beast of a bag and probably bigger than I need right now. I use it more for storage at home than when travelling.

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:48 pm

I second the vote for the Kata DR467. It has plenty of room for an enthusiast-level photo vacation and holds a 15-16 in laptop. I even turned the extra space into a diaper bag fo my last vacation. The bright yellow interior makes finding your stuff so much easier.
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

mghong
Gerbil XP

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:10 am

ericfulmer wrote:
I second the vote for the Kata DR467. It has plenty of room for an enthusiast-level photo vacation and holds a 15-16 in laptop. I even turned the extra space into a diaper bag fo my last vacation. The bright yellow interior makes finding your stuff so much easier.

i also being looking around for a Multi-use camera bag , and most of the time i taking picture with my wife and my little baby(yes..diaper again).. so i though of getting a bag which can even hold up some of those baby thing so that we can travel in light when we need to walk and snap picture around.. 8)

Voldenuit

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:20 pm

mghong wrote:
i also being looking around for a Multi-use camera bag , and most of the time i taking picture with my wife and my little baby(yes..diaper again).. so i though of getting a bag which can even hold up some of those baby thing so that we can travel in light when we need to walk and snap picture around.. 8)

If you find a place that sells Kata in Malaysia/Singapore, could you drop a line in this tread?
Wind, Sand and Stars.

mghong
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:34 am

Voldenuit wrote:
mghong wrote:

If you find a place that sells Kata in Malaysia/Singapore, could you drop a line in this tread?

Hi Voldenuit,

There is a shop in Malaysia , PJ area selling Kata accessory , although i haven't being there but i just call them right now to verify and the contact is still valid.

Tel Number:
603-78755211
603-78763955
Fax Number:
603-78756441
Postal address:
ENGTONG SYSTEMS SDN. BHD.
No. 31, Jalan SS2/30
47300 Petaling Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Malaysia
Engtong.com

Some story behind about the founder of this shop

There are a discussion on this url photomalaysia site

Voldenuit

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:50 am

mghong wrote:
Hi Voldenuit,

There is a shop in Malaysia , PJ area selling Kata accessory , although i haven't being there but i just call them right now to verify and the contact is still valid.

Neat, thanks!
Wind, Sand and Stars.

mghong
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:47 am

Voldenuit wrote:
mghong wrote:
Hi Voldenuit,

Neat, thanks!

Hi Voldenuit,

I just got "poision" by my photo friend who recommend me a Lowepro Mini Computrekker, i see his bag and it really nice and comfortable too