Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Headphones for podcasts

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:32 pm

I'm in the market now for some headphones, but not the typical kind. I already have a pair of Grado SR-80 headphones that I use for listening to music, so I don't really care about that. What I need is a set of headphones with which I can listen to podcasts on my commute. I'd prefer headphones that fit over, not in my ears. Also, they must convert into a very compact form so that I can throw them into my work bag during the day, and have them not take up too much space.

Before I go to Best Buy and get ripped off, are there any suggestions for headphones of this type that are especially good for voice reproduction?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

morphine
TR Staff

Re: Headphones for podcasts

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:45 pm

Given that human voice is midrange-centric, and given that midrange is all that cheap speakers/'phones have, I personally wouldn't bother much with sound quality. I'd just look for fit/comfort.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:02 pm

How are you commuting? I'm going to assume some form of loud public transportation. Which in that case I strongly recommend you simply go in ear. You will adapt to them in time and they won't hurt or annoy you after that period. A portable headphone simply isn't going to block the noise out enough. Even closed headphones won't cut it in my opinion. But if you must check out Sennheiser's PX series, Audio-Technica's ATH-FC700A (likely out of the budget), and AKG K81DJ (I own these as my backup headphone, portable... well I guess by definition but I feel this way about EVERY headphone even the PX series). The PX series from Sennheiser is likely the most portable you're going to get. But again... I would still get over the initial disregard for in ears.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:03 pm

Get a FM transmitter so you can listen to the podcasts over your radio. Wearing headphones in a car is a really stupid idea.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Hance wrote:
Get a FM transmitter so you can listen to the podcasts over your radio. Wearing headphones in a car is a really stupid idea.

While I agree that wearing headphones in the car is stupid because it can get you in trouble with the police, I disagree about the FM transmitter recommendation. Those things are GARBAGE. Get some sort of aftermarket stereo-deck for your car that accepts Aux Line-in or something and pipe the podcast in that way. Yes, it might be more expensive to do things that way, but it's not worth going cheapo for some crappy/scratchy FM transmitter.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:31 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:
Hance wrote:

While I agree that wearing headphones in the car is stupid because it can get you in trouble with the police, I disagree about the FM transmitter recommendation. Those things are GARBAGE. Get some sort of aftermarket stereo-deck for your car that accepts Aux Line-in or something and pipe the podcast in that way. Yes, it might be more expensive to do things that way, but it's not worth going cheapo for some crappy/scratchy FM transmitter.

Depends on what one you get. The FM transmitter I have works fine for podcasts and is ok for music. While not as good as a deck with line it does work fine.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:38 pm

An FM transmitter depends entirely on where you live. They're useful if you're in a location that doesn't have a ton of radio coverage but they turn useless in a city.

I'm still not sure this is even about in a car. If it's in a car then why would size be an issue? Why would he even need to throw them in a work bag? I get the impression this is via the subway or a bus.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:39 am

Hance wrote:

Yeah, I don't think he's driving. Although, the advice is good - wearing headphones in the car is a bad idea.

And I don't understand the complaints about FM transmitters. I'm using one for my MP3 player in my truck (which, admittedly has old and crappy stock speakers) don't notice any quality or interference issues. Probably has more to do with the fact I don't live in a major metropolitan area and have fewer radio stations to get in the way.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:02 am

ssidbroadcast wrote:
Hance wrote:

I spent $6 at radio shack on a 3.5 mm jack from my Sony 8Gb to the in-dash jack. I'd also echo the sentiments of the broadcasting over hte radio, quality is awful.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:53 pm

Tape or jack. Accept no substitutes!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:46 pm

Nitrodist wrote:
Tape or jack. Accept no substitutes!

The cassette adapter, while generally more reliable than the transmitter, can actually have frequency response limitations that aren't much better than the transmitter. Also, any misalignment between the system head and the adapter head can severely limit or distort the frequency response.

Unless someone has a vehicle where the dash absolutely cannot be accessed for some reason, it's hard to get around the current batch of $70-100 head units that generally support MP3-on-CD and offer a 1/8" input for external devices. Even many rental cars offer MP3-on-CD support these days.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration