Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

OutlawTornNMT
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

character lcd's for mp3 box question

Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:56 am

I'm looking into building a mp3 box running linux so i can have a mp3 player out in the front room. basically i was looking at a one of the new via epia boards, prolly their 800 model. my question is how hard is it to get a character lcd, or wire it up so i can use it for mp3 selection and playback?

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:19 am

With the new CrystalFontz USB LCD boards it's a snap. Just get the board, plug it in and voila :)

Personally for a MP3 only solution I'd go with the EPIA M6000 board. The fanless design is made for this application and you don't need the extra horsepower of the M9000 or M10000 :)

http://www.crystalfontz.com

Hope this helps :)
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

OutlawTornNMT
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:25 am

well let me ask this, basically it would just be a software setup to get lcd to display what i wanted then?

i've never really used linux so that's why i'm so dumb about this kinda thing. lol

thanks for the info though.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:37 am

No problem. I've mostly done this with Windows and Winamp but they have links to Linux drivers and software as well. Good luck and let us know how it turns out :)
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

Player Hater
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:48 pm

Dont mean to jack this thread but...

The only place I would really like an mp3 box would be in my car. Would this even be possible? Getting massive storage in an in dash reciever is just plain outrageously expensive. And if I am gonna pay through the nose I would rather I made it myself. Little help...

OutlawTornNMT
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:41 pm

[quote="HowardDrake"]No problem. I've mostly done this with Windows and Winamp but they have links to Linux drivers and software as well. Good luck and let us know how it turns out :)[/quote]

Would there be any reason I should do Windows over Linux? or vice-versa?

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:58 pm

I have one of these:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.p ... adid=12398

It's pretty cool. Using LCDC with a hacked matrix orbital config file.
Got it for (forgot exactly) less then $100 last summer mail order from England.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:00 pm

Disadvantage to Windows vs. Linux. Cost. Windows does, Linux doesn't
Advantage: Lots more goodies available for Windows

And as for running this in a car, it's a piece of cake. Just get the right case, and run the cable up to your dash for the display. Throw in an ATI Remote Wonder for control and poof! Instant car mp3 player.

For the case I would recommend:

http://www.computergate.com/products/item.cfm?prodcd=HDRCM269BR

It has the DC-DC power supply built in and all you need to do is provide a clean 12V input.

As for the display, you can go with a Character LCD, but I think finding a 5 or 6 inch V display for a car would be much more fun. You can wire it to the composite out of the Eden board and voila!

Hope this helps both of you :)

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:15 am

OutlawTornNMT
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:07 pm

Now what if I wanted to run dvd on the computer, would you recommend going for the m9000 or m10000, or would the m6000 still be sufficient?

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:56 pm

M10000 with Nememiah core is your best bet. The 9000s do DVD OK as well, but for the difference in price, I'd go top of the line. Also with that core you have a full-speed FPU so you can fold effectively for us as well :D