Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Richie_G
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

New Ubuntu install won't recognise usename and password.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Evening all, like the title implies I’ve just installed Ubuntu and I’m having some grief. I’m running 32 bit XP Pro and decided I wanted to try it out so downloaded the 64bit (running an E8400) installer 9.04 iso, mounted on Daemon tools and ran it without a hitch.

The installer asks for a username and password and will not allow me to leave it blank so I entered one all in lower case. After the reboot and when it loads into Ubuntu it comes to the password box on the GUI and simply says the username and password is incorrect. After some choice words I decided to reinstall and try again, paying extra attention to the username and password. Same thing again, I don’t get it!

I don’t really know anything about Ubuntu, and would like to get familiar with the OS, but this simple problem is driving me nuts! Any help would be appreciated.

Update: Just found the solution here

After following the first part through I was able to log in fine... It has the username but for some reason does not accept the original installation password. Strange. Anyways, gonna play with this new OS for a bit.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: New Ubuntu install won't recognise usename and password.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:28 pm

Very strange. I've done dozens of Ubuntu installs, and never seen that one.

Are you absolutely certain that Caps Lock wasn't on, either during installation or when you tried to log in after the reboot?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Richie_G
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Very strange. I've done dozens of Ubuntu installs, and never seen that one.

Are you absolutely certain that Caps Lock wasn't on, either during installation or when you tried to log in after the reboot?

Yeah positive, I don't even have a Caps Lock key, hate the damned thing so I removed it. I tried twice on this machine and also once on another (older P4) machine with different passwords and had the same problem. I have no idea why it happened but am just glad I managed to get around it.

So far I'm really impressed. I thought I'd be messing around getting drivers for the wireless, graphics and sound etc, but it had no problem doing that itself. Everything has a clean feel to it and is very responsive. These are very early impressions though, going to be playing with it for a while to see how it handles for my usual tasks. If I still can't fault it by the end of the month I'll probably make it my main OS.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:23 pm

It has been my main OS for several months now, both at home and at work. No regrets.

I have no other ideas on your weird password issue, other than maybe the installer mis-detected your keyboard layout. Are you using the standard US/English layout, or something else?

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:24 pm

The only think I can think of is if you set up a separate user and admin account.

So user name and password may be different?
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:32 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
The only think I can think of is if you set up a separate user and admin account.

So user name and password may be different?

If he followed the standard installation procedure, the user account he created during install is the default admin account. It just re-prompts you for your password whenever you do anything that requires admin privilege (similar to Vista's UAC).

If you want a fully privileged root account (one that doesn't prompt when you do administrative tasks), you need to explicitly enable root logins and set a password for the root account after the system is up and running. (On Ubuntu, root logins are disabled by default.)

Richie_G
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It has been my main OS for several months now, both at home and at work. No regrets.

I have no other ideas on your weird password issue, other than maybe the installer mis-detected your keyboard layout. Are you using the standard US/English layout, or something else?

Sorry for the belated reply, but the answer is yes, just the standard layout. Still have no idea what caused it exactly, much less why it happened three times.

But it's working now, except for now I have a number of new headaches including one which may force me to give up my ambition of using it as my main OS eventually... This is the problem I'm talking about now, although it doesn't relate to the original and would therefore warrant a new thread when / if I get around to it.