Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Maph
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

I'm back!

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:48 am

The folding scene sure has changed a lot! I've been sitting on old X2/wk2 or linux setup for a long time, but sadly the smp client gets worse w/ each update. While I do check TR almost everyday, there just wasn't much to post about as my setup are pretty much the same from years back. Last few months pretty much gave up w/ the constant hanging and all those GPUs beating all of my systems point wise. Since I have been moving around that means more systems are down after moved to the same place, so even less systems are online compared to a few years back.

However, I bought a 275GTX a while back and finally got a new cpu so I am able to use it to fold and my point has returned to somewhat respectable level, but obviously not as much as all those smp combined from a few months back. What's the best combo of gpu/smp for a 9550/275GTX? Right now I am doing 1 of each.

Maph aka Star_Platinum

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: I'm back!

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:34 pm

Welcome back! Welcome back!! Welcoooommmmeeee baaaaa-aaaack!!! Gee, Mr. Maph, what will we do tday? :D :lol:

1GPU & 2 SMP clients work well on a quadcore setup. :wink:

It's two week 'til Halloween. How about throwing some points to Frankie? :o :P
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Maph
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:57 am

Thanks jeff!
I am trying to fight off a takeover now that I am able to produce more than 1 smp unit a day, but i will throw over a smp to frakenbot today and switch over the gpu the week of halloween to make it extra scary!

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:08 am

Welcome back, Maph! It's good to see your status is again bright red and good luck with your efforts in fending off the Ronwell_Q._Dobbs threat. He's a solid producer and not to be taken lightly.

The 275GTX looks to be a nicely balanced weapon with substantial points production and relatively modest power demand due it's 55nm chip. Since you run an SMP client along with it, be sure to keep an eye on the SMP impact on the GPU client as it may vary from work unit to work unit. The best PPD = the GPU client.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Maph
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:22 am

Thanks puma, its good to be contributing again. Seems EM has died and never came back, and i haven't ran multiple clients at once in a long while to bother monitoring ppd. What's the program to use nowadays? Fahmon? Not sure if the smps are affecting my gpu, but seems running 2 smps is actually much slower than if I just run 1 smp at a time.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:36 am

Maph wrote:
Seems EM has died and never came back, and i haven't ran multiple clients at once in a long while to bother monitoring ppd. What's the program to use nowadays? Fahmon?
EM died a long time ago. :(

FahMon is still the one to use. However someone wrote another one and has a thread here promoting his. Haven't tested his app myself though but the feature list looks impressive.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:08 pm

Howdy, and welcome back, Maph.

The best combination of clients to run on your 9550 + 275 system depends on how the system is run and what you want out of it. If you use it a lot, the GPU client will detract from all sorts of things by dominating the GPU and slowing down display updates on games. Some people stop the folding client when gaming and start it back again after stopping gaming. If you're running one SMP client at the same time as the GPU client, you'll have 2 cores left which should be sufficient for most uses, but if you want to run 2 SMP clients, then you may have interference with the GPU client's output, slowing it down.

It also depends on which OS you're using. And other things too, possibly. Give us more information about your setup and its uses, and we can offer better advice.

(BTW, there's a Back Porch thread of the same name as this one started by AmishRakeFight about his return, though I don't recall having seen him around since then.)

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:29 am

jeffry55 and Ragnar Dan are assuming that you are running the Linux client in VMware player which limits the SMP to two cores and produces much better points than the windows client on two core. The Linux SMP on two cores may even rival the win SMP on four cores. And since the SMP client was developed for Linux and then ported to windows there should generally be fewer problems.

The HFM.NET monitoring program looks like it supplies a ton of information, but I'm comfortable (inertia strikes again) with FahMon and personally don't have the need for more info than it provides.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:05 am

jeez, I'm still in the top 10?

you guys suck! :-P

Maph
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:23 am

Thanks for the input guys. I should have clarified what I am running. Right now I am running the Win7RC as I don't think there are any drivers for my old win2k. Just running the windows SMP clients right now, not even sure if the old VMWARE I was running in w2k would work on win7 or not. It seems having 2 SMP running is actually producing less point, so I have stop one client and set the 2nd to franky, that way once smp1 is done, i shut it down and alternate between the 2. Hopefully someday they will make the gpu/smp clients run as service...since on the other comps that are used by family members they are often shutdown when they close windows.

Leor, that just shows how much point you have built up over the years while we were still running single client doing a couple hundred pts a day while u were in the high thousands! :) I got as far as top11 but the GPU craze wiped me out ;p

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:34 am

leor wrote:
jeez, I'm still in the top 10?

you guys suck! :-P

Leor! Baby!! You're back!!! :D :lol: :D We've missed you. How's the Jedi training going? Are you a "Darth" level 4 by now? :o Fill us in, we are eager to hear your tales of romance, adventure and interstellar travel. :P

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:58 am

Maph wrote:
I got as far as top11 but the GPU craze wiped me out ;p

the GPU craze is what got me to give up the fight. I had the hardware to compete, but it seemed to scale in such a disproportionate way it took all the fun out of the game. With one GPU i could wipe out 25 of my client systems, so why bother?

i left those CPUs running, so i guess I'll be at the bottom of the red from now on.

kitsura
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:35 am

Now that the SMP client is more stable managed to get my C2D and 2 Dual core Xeons back online. How long this will last I do not know. Maybe when I upgrade my whole rig end of this year I might get a decent enough GPU to sustain output.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:36 pm

kitsura wrote:
Now that the SMP client is more stable managed to get my C2D and 2 Dual core Xeons back online. How long this will last I do not know. Maybe when I upgrade my whole rig end of this year I might get a decent enough GPU to sustain output.

Welcome back to the fold! :D Just in time to make Frankie scary!! :P