Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

XtremeDesign
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

ASUS Xtreme Design Contest!

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:42 pm

Show the world your Xtreme Design!

ASUS has joined forces with Antec, Intel , G.Skill, Nvidia, Razer, Samsung and TECHREPORT to empower YOUR Xtreme ideas! Enter in a chance to win $1800 in system hardware, and a chance to attend CES 2010 in Las Vegas!

Tell US:
-How would you build your "Xtreme" System if you won the sponsored hardware.
-What is your "Xtreme Design" system's goal.
-How ASUS' "Xtreme Design" motherboard features help your system and daily life.
-Anything else that convinces us to pick your idea from the participating forums below.

This contest has 3 Stages:

Stage I:

1. Tell us what you would do with “Xtreme Design Technology!” How can ASUS’ Xtreme Design features work for you? (Psst! Do your homework here: http://promos.asus.com/US/p55/index.htm )

2. Log-in to a designated participating forum.* Post your system project goals, anticipated challenges, diagrams, and sketches. Convince us you are capable of building your Xtreme Design! (Post your submitted link in ASUS's facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=3 ... 08&index=1)

3. Win freaking awesome hardware including an ASUS Xtreme Design P7P55D Premium motherboard, Intel Core i7 processor, Nvidia Graphics, Samsung SSD, Razer Keyboard+mouse, Antec power supply, and G.Skill Memory! ASUS will select up to twenty (20) innovative proposals that show off Xtreme Design in a real working scenario. Winners will be announced for “Stage I” on http://Facebook.com/ASUSOfficialPage Nov. 13th 2009.

Stage II:

1. Twenty (20) “Stage I” winners will receive and build their concept on their sponsored hardware. Winners will show off their experience for 30 days. Share pictures and videos! Talk about your build! Document your process! Post screen-shots and tell us how you feel about "Xtreme Design". Convince us that your design is show-worthy!

An ASUS P7P55D Premium motherboard and the following sponsored products will be sent to winners. Feel free to design/use your own case, thermal soultion, additioanl GPU , additional storage, additional memory to enhance your Xtreme Deisgn

2. Five (5) engaging posters will be selected for special brand-spanking new hardware upgrades Dec. 14th.

Stage III:

1. One (1) lucky Xtreme Design champion will get a free trip with their rig to show off at the ASUS booth during CES 2010 in Las Vegas! Jan. 7th.

OUR SPONSORS and PRIZES!!

ImageImage
Razer has sponsored (20) Lycosa keyboards and Deathadder mice
Execute complex combat maneuvers with swift dexterity. Launch your assaults timed to perfection. Annihilate your enemies and reign supreme on the battlefield. You now have the tactical advantage on every terrain, and your enemies' fates are in your hands.

ImageImage
Samsung has sponsored (20) 128GB SSD drives
An extremely efficient SSD for PCs applications, Samsung's SSD features world-class sequential read and write performance.

ImageImage
Antec has sponsored (20) Quattro 850 Watt PSU
Antec's TruePower Quattro is more compact than most competing power supplies of the same wattage, yet ideally suited for handling the most demanding system specs.

ImageImage
Intel® has sponsored (20) Core i7 CPUs
The new Intel® CoreTM i7 Processor: Ultimate smart performance. This new processor features Intel Turbo Boost Technology and Intel Hyper-Threading Technology, which together activate full processing power exactly where and when you need it.

ImageImage
G.Skill has sponsored (20) TDS series Memory kits
The G.Skill DDR 2133 CL9 4GB TDS "Trident Series memory is especially suited for overclockers, and comes equipped with the turbulence cooling fan.

ImageImage
Nvidia has sponsored (20) ASUS GTX260 GPUs
Configure your PC with the Power of 3 and build your new Xtreme Design PC with the three essential pieces to get an experience to match your style.
Nvidia GPU + Intel Core i5/i7 + ASUS P55 Motherboard = The power of 3!

Thanks to all of our Sponsors and GOOD LUCK!! SHOW US WHAT YOU'VE GOT!!

Terms and Condition
Last edited by XtremeDesign on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: ASUS Xtreme Design Contest!

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:50 pm

:o That was an Xtreme pitch! I'll start brainstorming immediately. :)

MRFS
Gerbil In Training

Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:57 am

This ASUS workstation with 16GB of RAM is now stable
with an 8GB ramdisk (expandable to 12GB), using
RamDisk Plus from SuperSpeed LLC in Sudbury, Mass.
and XP/Pro 32-bit:

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/super ... Review.htm

See details above for future plans to migrate to SAS/6G controller(s), SSD/6G
and Core i7 chipset with 6 x 4GB DDR3 = 24GB RAM. Configuration above
will also work on large servers e.g. 32 x ECC memory slots.

Enjoy!

p.s. "MRFS" = memory-resident file systems (also "Mr. FS" :)

Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul A. Mitchell, Inventor and
Systems Development Consultant

All Rights Reserved without Prejudice

donkeycrock
Gerbil

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:30 am

Does this contest include the motherboard? I don't see it on the list above.

XtremeDesign
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:41 pm

donkeycrock wrote:
Does this contest include the motherboard? I don't see it on the list above.

2. The Twenty (20) winners will have an ASUS P7P55D PREMIUM motherboard + the following sponsored products to start with. You are free to design/use your own case, thermal solution, additional GPU, additional storage, additional memory to enhance your Xtreme Design.

XtremeDesign
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:44 pm

made the rules a bit more clear, hope it helps

donkeycrock
Gerbil

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:58 pm

so, do we post our design prospect on this forum page?

XtremeDesign
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:05 pm

YUP!

donkeycrock
Gerbil

Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:46 pm

First off, great contest. I've been thinking about a very specific build for a long time, but have never decided to do it because 1. costs and 2. I live in Boston, but I fly home to Oregon one to two times a year(where i used to live) to have a LAN party. (this is an old picture, before LCD's where rampant.)
I custom made my computer to be small, light, and bad to the bone. The only problem is that you cant take liquids as your carry-on. So i haven't made a liquid cooled system, even though I've really really wanted to. So if i win the chance to make this computer I will be making one hell of a sweet computer that i have been thinking about for a long time and take to local LAN parties.
Image Image Image
My latest computer(media comp) won third place at last years Intel fest in Massachusetts. I ordered parts and I built the computer completely from hand tools(except a dremil to drill holes) in two days. I made the mold out of wood and bought the acrylic sheet to spec. Then i heated the acrylic in the oven and wrapped it around the mold.
Image Image Image

The thing that makes Asus one of the best quality companies is that the listen to the builder. My current Asus mobo is a P45 delux. My wife bought me a E8400 for my birthday last year and over clocked it easily to 4 Ghz. The nice thing about a quality motherboard is that you get value added. My cpu cost $180 dollars, my mother board $200. if Ghz equals cost than i just saved money. Asus motherboards have 2 bios, on\off buttons on the motherboard, 16 phase power - making the OC more reliable. I've bought countless other brands; but now days i only look buy asus products for me and my friends builds due to quality and fetures.

My Build is going to be amazing(in case you haven't noticed, my fiends call me a Mad Scientist). All the power wires are going to be ran and hidden inside half inch copper tubing that will be the frame of the computer. Half the frame will be used for wiring and the other half for water supply to the components. My ambition is to make all the tubing copper and right angles to make it look like a water works plant with the soldered joints showing. The power wires will be ran behind the mobo with copper tubing and soldered to the back of the motherboard contact points(both the main power connector and the 8 pin)(plus a utility pipe for the video card connection points). The pipes will also serve as the mounting bracket system. There will be no walls on this computer and the pump will be encased in copper. The cpu and the video card will be liquid cooled. The case will be as small as possible(13" x 13" x 6"). The case will have dual radiator with 120 mm fans.
I have expertise in wiring, soldering, copper welding, electronics. This case will be difficult to produce as explained. The picture is not to scale, its just a sketch i made with MS paint. I hope i get picked so you all can see what a nice small efficient case looks like that has alot of power. Unlike most extreme cases featured that are enormous, way a ton and are hard to move.

XtremeDesign
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:46 pm

Contest has been extended by 7 days. Keep the Designs coming!

lowermain
Gerbil In Training

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:53 pm

My Design is a Flush discrete subwoofer that fits into home theater. It looks like a subwoofer but its actually a PC.
Image]
the intake/exhaust fan will be powered by a 8 inch mishimoto radiator fan. it can be used as an intake or exhaust because you can reverse the fan blades to be a push or pull type. the port in the box can also be used as a intake or exhaust depending on how the front fan is positioned.
i will mount the board flat so the air can flow right over. it will have massive airflow. ill probably use a zahlman or a passive heatsink.
in the back ill replace the psu with the provided antec psu. i may even have a window in the back to show off the components inside or a birds eye view. it will look very slick.

i would use this for my HTPC replacment and my gaming computer. i will have additional usb ports in the rear to plug up a external blu ray drive but i really dont need a optical since i will download everything.

the samsung ssd will be very fast for pretty much anything. what more can i say but samsung ssd rocks! and you know it.

ill get an additional 1tb sata6 drive for additional storage for my movies and games. along with a GTX260 top from asus and intel core i7.

luckily the Xtreme Design features has the auto overclocking feature so i dont need to waste hours trying to find the sweetspot. ill just leave it running. my friend has this board and it will do real time stress testing and overclock close to its full potential. so i dont really need to run prime. if anything ill take the auto tuned settings and work off that to fine tune any extra mhz.

4Gigs of Gskill memory should be sweet. it would be an honor if i won these parts. i think it would be very interesting for a concept like this.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:56 am

If I were to win one of the hardware prize sets, I would add a second Asus GTX 260 video card and assemble it all in this new Antec 600 case.

The result would be an Xtremely well air cooled and efficient multi GPU, multi core CPU, and multi client data cruncher for Stanford's Folding@home distributed computing project. With the possibility of it being instrumental in finding the cures for a multitude of diseases.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Inkling
TR Staff

Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:17 am

C'mon guys, I'm sure a few of you have some more ideas. I know we're all busy, but just lay out a quick outline in this thread and you might find yourself in possession of some sweet new hardware to help turn your idea into a real rig.
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:03 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42526&p=814334&hilit=water+case#p814334

:P I still think this is an awesome idea. The case could have cool rivets, perhaps? Or make it clear in some places and dye the water? The possibilities are endless.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:19 am

I really wish I had the time to come up with something. I even have a few empty cases that are just crying for a modification. However, I don't know if I have the time to actually bring any idea to fruition. I would love the hardware to play with and I would love to actually dust off my dremel.

:cry:
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

XtremeDesign
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:38 pm

ASUS would like to thank all of the participants of the Xtreme Design Contest! We also want to give a shout out to all of the sponsored partners of the event: ASUS, Intel, Nvidia, Razer, Samsung, G.Skill, Antec!

The top 5 winners are:

1st Place, Zads: http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/45771.aspx
2nd Place, Tim Shadler: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=468038
3rd Place, Redtigerdragon: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/inde ... pic=169721
4th Place, Lemiwinks : http://forums.firingsquad.com/t5/Hardwa ... d-p/398604
5th place, OttoYu34: http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/4549 ... ageIndex=1

We hope to see you all in our future contests!

donkeycrock
Gerbil

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:55 pm

i dont understand why i didn't win, my case was extremely fancy.