2GB Kingston ValuRAM
antec Sonata 2
7600GT
400GB seagate
onboard audio
onboard NICs
Pioneer 16X SATA DVD writer

Dual booting with Windows XP Pro SP2

I'm fairly new to this whole Linux thing but I've used both Ultimate Edition 2.1 (ubuntu) and SuSE 11.1 on my laptop(Pentium M @ 1.5GHz) for a few months sucessfully. I've tried using both 64-bit and 32-bit versions on my desktop with no success. The 64 Bit versions of SuSE and UE either didn't make it past final installation or hang at initial boot. I accquired the 32-bit versions which install and run Live with no issues but both will drop USB connectivity with my mouse (some cheap Microsoft 3 button and my Logitech G7 which has its own issues with connectivity) running Live or installed after about a couple minutes...?

I've tried every other port on my system but it doesn't solve anything. I may have a BIOS update to do so I'm gonna look into that and maybe remove my OC after posting this and try it out.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: linux installation problems... (n00b)

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:07 pm

Try Gentoo or another distro, maybe. Sometimes certain distros will not like a particular build while others have no problem.

(Gentoo is my favorite distro. I think it's the best, but I realize that's just a matter of opinion.)
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:10 pm

Have you tried using one of the "normal" Ubuntu distros (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu) instead of Ultimate Edition 2.1? From what I can gather from some quick Googling (I'd never heard of UE until now), it is an unofficial redistribution which has essentially been disowned by the Ubuntu powers-that-be because it does some questionable things which can destabilize the system.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:31 am

Definitely agree with JBI on trying the official Ubuntu rather than any offshoot. Also remove the overclock - what may be stable under Windows can crash under Linux as it can stress the system harder and in different ways than Windows.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Did a BIOS flash and I changed something and SuSE is working fine. I should've been more clearer and said I only used UE off the Live CD and it was disconnecting the same as SuSE. SuSE working great except its not liking my network card.. only wireless... I think I like Ubuntu better anyway. Thanks for the help :cheers :D

robetjems
Gerbil In Training

Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:55 am

Hello Everyone,

I have big problem and need solution.
I am not able to start My XP. I have install dual OS XP and Fedora. I have deleted the XP's C: drive where It was installed.
Now the problem is that I am not able to reinstall it due to fedora's Non Dos partition.

I want to delete the Non Dos partition and install XP back..

I dont want to lose my data on other drives like D:,E:, and F: ..

Is there any solution to delete the fedora an can get my space with XP back???

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:56 am

robetjems wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have big problem and need solution.
I am not able to start My XP. I have install dual OS XP and Fedora. I have deleted the XP's C: drive where It was installed.
Now the problem is that I am not able to reinstall it due to fedora's Non Dos partition.

I want to delete the Non Dos partition and install XP back..

I dont want to lose my data on other drives like D:,E:, and F: ..

Is there any solution to delete the fedora an can get my space with XP back???

This could have done with its own thread really...

Just delete the unwanted partitions and create a new one when you install XP, the installer with call it an unrecognised partition or something. Simples
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:56 pm

If you want to reset the drive to its "factory fresh" state (completely unpartitioned/unformatted), download a low-level disk diagnostic like Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test tool, and run the "write zeros" test on the drive. I suggest you physically unplug all of the other drives (the ones that contain data you want to keep) while doing this, just to make sure you don't zero the wrong drive.

You don't actually need to zero the entire drive, you can interrupt the test after it has been running for a few seconds. (Unless you really want to erase the entire drive such that none of the contents are recoverable even with data recovery tools.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.