Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Getting my case off the floor

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:48 pm

I would like to get my Antec Sonata off the carpeted floor. It looks a bit cheap just sitting on the floor, and is sucking in unnecessary amounts of dust and hair as a result of being so low. My desk is too small to accommodate it on top. I just want to elevate the case 2-5" off the ground. I have looked around, and found two less-than-ideal options:

http://www.amazon.com/Alera-Locking-Cas ... 561&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009 ... d_i=507846

Any other ideas? To be honest, all I want is a cheap plastic or wood shelf about 4" high, preferably with a rubber mat to isolate noise. I am sure there is something perfect out their not necessarily designed for a computer case. I just have no clue where to find it. A friend suggested just getting a 2x8, and I might do just that, for lack of a better plan.
x--x--x--x

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Getting my case off the floor

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:06 pm

DO you have an IKEA near by?
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:11 pm

lex-ington wrote:
DO you have an IKEA near by?

Yes, and actually my desk is an Ikea product. However, the only stands I remember seeing looked really terrible. For example, I remember the "caddy" for my old jerker desk was literally some thick fabric straps that sort of tied the case to the leg of the desk. Yuck. I will poke around their site again. Do you have a particular product in mind?

Update: I found a couple of potential options there. Thanks for the Ikea suggestion. My friend also suggested that, don't know why I disregarded it the first time...
x--x--x--x

wibeasley
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:46 pm

If you need more space for your paper files too, consider getting a used file drawer (from something like an office supply warehouse) to put your computer on.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:59 pm

most antec cases have rubber feet, you should not need a mat, but u could get just a mat instead of a tray carrier

if unnecessary amounts of dust and hair are getting in your computer have you tried vacuuming once a week at least?
I recently moved my computer to under my desk just because it saves space and is easier to access the front panel
I have it on a piece of an old shelf I was going to throw away

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:47 am

I usually use the box for the case, stuffed it with the motherboard box and other stuff, then put the case on top of the box. It will be more than 4-5" though.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:46 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I usually use the box for the case, stuffed it with the motherboard box and other stuff, then put the case on top of the box. It will be more than 4-5" though.

Although I am certainly not a fashion tycoon when it comes to interior design, I certainly have more taste than that! Oh, and, I would, but I threw the Antec box out long ago. :D

I will head to Ikea in a week or so and scope this out: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50086666
x--x--x--x

VaTech Hokie
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:13 pm

Hmm, gives me an idea to make my own.... There is so much crap hanging off and around the computer that a nice wooden stand might come in handy. Some wire routing would be useful and storage compartments/holders for all the usb peripherals, and maybe a shelf or two for most used items. Of course my case is fairly tall to begin with (Gigabyte Mars) but a few shelves and some cable tidying would be nice.

A trip to Lowes may be in order this weekend...
Always Proud to be Hokie

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:16 pm

Just get a few of these. They're cheap, and if one layer isn't high enough, stack 'em 2 layers high.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Just get a few of these. They're cheap, and if one layer isn't high enough, stack 'em 2 layers high.

Link isn't working for me. What is it for?
x--x--x--x

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Spyder22446688 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Link isn't working for me. What is it for?

Bricks.

I think maybe the link is busted because they customize your search results based on what your nearest Home Depot store is. Try this link instead. (And if that doesn't work, I guess deep linking to Home Depot just isn't possible.)

WebHobbit
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:50 pm

This is all you need:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... 82-7876507

It's cheap and provides a nice storage shelf underneath. It's the PERFECT size. It's almost like it was designed for a tower! I have one in white.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:57 pm

WebHobbit wrote:
This is all you need:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... 82-7876507

It's cheap and provides a nice storage shelf underneath. It's the PERFECT size. It's almost like it was designed for a tower! I have one in white.

It won't work in my case. I have "wall, tower, side of the desk" as my setup. This means I will have no access to the middle compartment.

I had a neighbour who scored 4 pieces of thick wood boards and pin them in a square-ish shape like this:
 +--+
 | T|
 | O|
 | W|
 | E|
 | R|
 +--+
------
 |**|  <-- 4 pieces of wood
------

** empty space

Just by coincidence I can fit my SmartUPS 1500VA into that elongated squarish empty space. ;)

WebHobbit
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:00 am

I have essentially the same setup...works fine:

I have my stand parallel to my chair...against the wall but just slightly in front of the desk. There is an empty cavity of space beside the desk directly behind the computer.

edit:

ON second thought I think my setup is opposite your's the wall is to my right....yours is to the left -correct?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:38 am

WebHobbit wrote:
I have essentially the same setup...works fine:

I have my stand parallel to my chair...against the wall but just slightly in front of the desk. There is an empty cavity of space beside the desk directly behind the computer.

edit:

ON second thought I think my setup is opposite your's the wall is to my right....yours is to the left -correct?

The wall and my desk's "side wall" basically sandwich the tower. So with the shoe organizer I will have to flip it 90 degrees to fit into the deep gap between the "walls". This means the empty cavity is inaccessible to me. The thing that I have now allow me to slide something in that cavity space, and I chose my UPS.

Edit: ok, attaching a picture

WebHobbit
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:02 pm

Not bad....but I couldn't stand sealing off the PC's side-panel. I like to get in there too much. Once a week to blow out dust and quite often I have to temporarily hook up a client's HD to Sata or IDE ports. With my arrangement I can access my PC's innards without moving the case at all.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:36 pm

Flying Fox, my first reaction on seeing that pic was that it looks like the "Stonehenge" prop from Spinal Tap! (It's about the right size, too...) :lol:

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Yeah I was going to say get some pieces of wood, nail 'em together, and spray paint to your liking if necessary. Especially good and cheap if you can get some scrap wood somewhere.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:14 pm

WebHobbit wrote:
Not bad....but I couldn't stand sealing off the PC's side-panel. I like to get in there too much. Once a week to blow out dust and quite often I have to temporarily hook up a client's HD to Sata or IDE ports. With my arrangement I can access my PC's innards without moving the case at all.

Who said I don't have other computers in the house to do all that? This one is my "I don't ever want to bother with it" machine. ;)

MadManOriginal wrote:
Yeah I was going to say get some pieces of wood, nail 'em together, and spray paint to your liking if necessary. Especially good and cheap if you can get some scrap wood somewhere.
This is exactly what I did, and I got a neighbour to do it for me also.