Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Should I buy an Ipod touch?

Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:56 am

Alas, my 1GB Sandisk MP3 player which lasted me well over five years and outlived eight pairs of headphones has died. I need a new music player. Obviously since I was fine with 1GB (dear god!) for so long, space is not that much of a concern for me. an 8GB would be plenty as it never really bothered me that much to plug it into my pc and change the songs around. I've been looking at the Ipod touch and I'm wondering if it would be right for me. The standard and nano iPods seem to be ridiculously overpriced to me, and if I'm going to spend the money I'd prefer something I can play around with too and the touch seems pretty cool with the apps and all that jazz. I'm not much of an apple fan, on the computer side I lean heavily to the PC side, but I know iPods are a whole different ballpark.
I also don't want to just go get one because "its the cool thing to have". I really hate when people do that. But at this point it does actually look like one of my best options. I've been looking though other options for mp3 player, but nothing seems to hold a bar to the ipod.

anyone have any inspiring advice for a confused potential buyer?
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Should I buy an Ipod touch?

Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Have you checked out the latest SanDisk products? They have some good products out there. The Fuze is pretty nice and intuitive. Best part is that I can create playlists in WMP. I wouldn't mind Apple products if it didn't (IIRC) require iTunes. That being said, I have an LG Env2 phone with an 8GB SDHC card in it. It handles all the music I want to take with me as well as 10 movies or so. I'm pretty happy with it. Before you shell out a ton of money on a new mp3 player, check to see if you could upgrade a cell phone for cheaper.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

BoBzeBuilder
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:13 pm

It depends on what you need from an MP3 player. Is sound quality, battery life, screen quality, broad audio/video format support of importance to you?
Then check this little beaut out.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6855228031

If you need the apps, then go for the iPod.
i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz / Cooler Master V8 / Asus P8P67 Evo / 8GB G.skill DDR3-1600 / Zotac GTX 780 3GB / Seasonic S12-650 / Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD / Corsair 600T Graphite / those cheap 1440p Korean monitors

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:23 pm

anyone have any experience with Creative Zen, saw one that was on clearance, but I've never used one. Hows the sound quality?
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:06 pm

Get the touch :)

I fully admit I am biased, being a 3GS owner but still...

They are amazing little pocket computers / gaming devices / ipods / video players / best portable web browser / you name it there's an app for it, etc.etc.etc.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:28 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
Have you checked out the latest SanDisk products? They have some good products out there. The Fuze is pretty nice and intuitive. Best part is that I can create playlists in WMP. I wouldn't mind Apple products if it didn't (IIRC) require iTunes. That being said, I have an LG Env2 phone with an 8GB SDHC card in it. It handles all the music I want to take with me as well as 10 movies or so. I'm pretty happy with it. Before you shell out a ton of money on a new mp3 player, check to see if you could upgrade a cell phone for cheaper.

You don't have to use itunes for ipods. I have an older 30GB video ipod and haven't used itunes in years. Personally, I use foobar2k with an ipod plugin and it works freakin' fantastic.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:29 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Get the touch :)

I fully admit I am biased, being a 3GS owner but still...

They are amazing little pocket computers / gaming devices / ipods / video players / best portable web browser / you name it there's an app for it, etc.etc.etc.

yah. i dunno. its cost vs functionality. at 200 big boys for the smallest 8GB. sure theres lotsa bells and whistles. but if i can get a nice simple music player for under 100.. i dont know! im so undecided.

not to be cheap... well.. acutally yes, i am cheap.. but i'll have to reseach some more.

xtalentx
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:37 pm

I am tossing in another vote for the s9 or d2. I own both and except for apps - they are much better than the touch in every way.

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:41 pm

The other thing I'm worried about is that I'll be using this mainly on the bus/subway because I spend 4+ hours in transit a day. There would be much less chance being robbed if I have a dinky little mp3 rather then an Ipod.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:47 pm

There's no comparison to an iPod touch right now, except for a Zune, kinda. If all you want is a music device you can spend $40 and get 4GB of storage. I bought a Sandisk something-or-other with 4GB of storage a couple months ago because it's what I needed. If you want something to play with, get a touch. If you want something for music, there's cheaper reasonable alternatives.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Traz
Gerbil

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:52 pm

If you want something to play with along with playing music, another option would be Nintendo DSi(or DS lite with a flash cartridge) or Sony PSP.

Just throwing it out there.
"Gentlemen, behold! I have made love to this machine! And in retrospect, I ask myself why..."
-Dr. Weird.