lamp
Gerbil
Topic Author

What do you think about this case

Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Hello,

I am about to drop $129.99 CDN on a ThermalTake Element S case:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product

I was wondering what you guys thought of it and if you think it's worth the (steep) price. Are there alternatives that are just as good (in terms of airflow and quality) within the same price range?

Thanks - Your thoughts and insight are MUCH appreciated.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: What do you think about this case

Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:26 pm

It certainly looks special. If you don't need the front door thingy, I suppose the Cooler Master RC-690 or the Antec 300 would work similarly at a lower price.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

R1pper Ryan
Gerbil

Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:50 am

OH FUGLY

MrJP
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:59 am

The Antec P183 is a very nice case and less aesthetically-challenged in my opinion. Of course it's also even more expensive but, judging from my P182, it should last through several system builds.
i7-6700K ~ Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ~ 16GB Corsair DDR4-2400 ~ Radeon R9 Nano
Noctua NHU9S ~ Corsair Obsidian 250D ~ Corsair RM650X ~ Crucial MX100 512GB
SMSL M3 ~ Sennheiser HD555 ~ Logitech G500S/G910/G29 ~ LG 34UC79G

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:59 pm

I like how the PSU is seperated in some ways, but it does have you feeling claustrophobic when you look at a case with everything segregated like that. Also with the PSU being in its own compartment (i've setup a Lian Li with almost the same setup) be weary of PSU's with short cables, they have to run around through the little holes to get to the upper compartments and you loose a lot of the cable length because of it (plus running it behind the board with those holes).

I really like this case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129058 - Antec 902

The side 120mm is great when you've got a decently hot GPU, blows cool air right over-top AND the bottom of the graphic card so it not only cools the heatsink but the back of the PCB which can lower your GPU core temps a bit. Plus the 120mm on the back sits in a perfect spot if you want to put an aftermarket cooler on your CPU like a CPU cooler, it works with that cooler and blows cold air almost perfectly matched with it and then the 220mm fan on top of the case exhausts the heat before it gets to the rest of the system.

Zalman - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-35118046

Its got the 220MM fan ontop that just moves sooo much freaking air and is quiet, also you've got the same setup as the case you link for cabling behind the mobo via rubberized holes, in and outs for water cooling, blacked interior (will never buy a non-blacked interior when i build a gaming system again. Controllable fans on the front, come with their own removable fan filter mesh. Front side USB/eSata, plus the little area on top near the front plugs is the PERFECT size to lay down something like an external HDD enclosure, a cell phone your powering up or plugging in... The plastics this thing is made with are so solid, not flimsy... im talking VERY thick and sturdy you'd think they made it as a stepping stool or chair or something.

The only thing that I wish it had, and it depends on preference, is side mounted HDD racks, but at ones on the Antec ARE in a removable tray that comes out to allow you to put the drives in it.

The case you chose is nice for the side mounted and seem very close to the Antec 902, minus the big fan on top and the clear side. Its all a matter of what you like more for aesthetic purposes. And 902 is also steel, so its a bit heavier.. if thats a concern then think about that too. My friend and I both have no issue taking them around for LANS though, i mean its a desktop anyhow, not a laptop. (Its also cheaper)
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:10 pm

I agree with Welch.
I am big fan of Antec 902, no other case comes close in terms of traditional cooling than this case.

lamp
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:24 pm

Welch wrote:
... be weary of PSU's with short cables ...

Thank you for the extremely helpful analysis. I do like the separate compartment for the PSU ... but your point about short cables is taken.

I like the Antec 902 - it is very similar - thanks for that.

Lamp

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:30 pm

lamp wrote:
Welch wrote:
... be weary of PSU's with short cables ...

Thank you for the extremely helpful analysis. I do like the separate compartment for the PSU ... but your point about short cables is taken.

Which means when you are doing your research, be prepared to get extension cables.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Jigar wrote:
I am big fan of Antec 902, no other case comes close in terms of traditional cooling than this case.
Well, if you like 200mm+ large-diameter fans the CoolerMaster HAF series is something you might want to look at (review of the 922 in the shortbread today).

Does anybody make a case with a side fan (or a place for a side fan) that has a filter? They've gotten pretty good about putting filters on the front bezel mesh, but that seems kind of pointless when dust is free to come in from the side.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:26 am

Yep that Antec 902 has mesh filters on the front and the side panel one, it does not come with a side fan but the filter is there and a fan clicks in with no need for screws. The only fan that does not come with one is the 220m fan.. but this is exhaust so no need. You can always buy a mesh filters from places like newegg, xoxide and im sure frozencpu may even have some. The filters on the Antec are a VERY fine filter and do a great job of collecting dust. Depending on how dusty your place gets I'd recommend a quick vacuum on it once a week or every 2 weeks to maintain flow.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x