Multiple installations of Apache on same host: advice?

Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, notfred

Multiple installations of Apache on same host: advice?

Postposted on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:39 am

Has anyone here run multiple installations of Apache Web server on multiple ports, but using the same IP?

I need to install Apache 2.2 on a CentOS 4.2 box. It already has Apache 2.0 installed as part of CentOS default installation package. For some reason (mostly non-technical), I cannot touch the existing Apache, so my only choice is to install my own Apache.

I plan to use port other than 80, and access my website using my own specified port. However, I need to use the same hostname (same IP). My Apache will have its own prefix, and its own httpd.conf. Both my Apache and the existing one should run "side-by-side" --I'm not allowed to stop the existing Apache while my own is running.

It seems to be possible to do the things above. However, it is something I've never done before. Port and prefix aside, is there anything else I should keep my eyes on? Any advices and/or warnings?
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP

Re: Multiple installations of Apache on same host: advice?

Postposted on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:23 am

I'd just run it as a user install, that way it shouldn't mess with the configs or log files of the system install. It means that you will have to do your own build/install of it though and you'll need to be up on a port above 1024.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness