Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Potential Power Supply Issue

Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:17 am

So I decided to clean out my computer today and after finishing up with everything, I plug in my computer, turn it on, and get no video signal. I look in my case and my 4870 has the D1601, D1602, and D1603 diagnostic LEDs lit, which from googling seem to indicate that it's not getting enough power from the PSU. I tried booting with another GPU, a 9800GT from my friend, and it didn't put out a signal either. In both tests, I was trying to boot with no CPU, RAM, or hard drives powered, just tried to get a video signal. While I was cleaning the case, I did try to clean out the PSU some by blowing compressed air into it from the both the back of the case and the bottom of the PSU with the fan. I guess that must have broken something in the PSU or something? I have an Xclio Greatpower 1000W PSU. Before I go and order a replacement PSU, is there anything else I should check? My 24pin ATX and 8pin EATX connectors are plugged in. I did take apart a fair portion of my PC during the cleaning; I took out the GPU, rear case fan, and my CCF. I should add that everything else seems to get powered when attached: case fans, hard drives, and DVD drive all spin up.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Potential Power Supply Issue

Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:53 am

Zoomastigophora wrote:
So I decided to clean out my computer today and after finishing up with everything, I plug in my computer, turn it on, and get no video signal.
I tried booting with another GPU, a 9800GT from my friend, and it didn't put out a signal either. In both tests, I was trying to boot with no CPU, RAM, or hard drives powered, just tried to get a video signal.

You won't get a video signal if the CPU and RAM are not there. The CPU initializes the video card during POST, and the system can't POST if there's no RAM.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:03 am

Zoomastigophora wrote:
My 24pin ATX and 8pin EATX connectors are plugged in.

Did you remember to put back the graphics card PCIe power connector(s)?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:08 am

just brew it! wrote:
Zoomastigophora wrote:
So I decided to clean out my computer today and after finishing up with everything, I plug in my computer, turn it on, and get no video signal.
I tried booting with another GPU, a 9800GT from my friend, and it didn't put out a signal either. In both tests, I was trying to boot with no CPU, RAM, or hard drives powered, just tried to get a video signal.

You won't get a video signal if the CPU and RAM are not there. The CPU initializes the video card during POST, and the system can't POST if there's no RAM.

Even with the CPU and RAM plugged in, I'm still getting the diagnostic lights.

Flying Fox wrote:
Zoomastigophora wrote:
My 24pin ATX and 8pin EATX connectors are plugged in.

Did you remember to put back the graphics card PCIe power connector(s)?

Yup, both 6pin PCI-e connectors are plugged in for the card.

michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Try this PSU in another system and try another PSU in your system if these options are available to you. On second thought could it be PCIE slot? Does your motherboard have an extra PCIE? If so try your video card in another slot.

henfactor
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:04 pm

Hmmm, I'm leaning toward the PSU. Do you have some type of measuring device to test the current on the PCIe leads?
If common sense is so common, why don't more people have it?

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:58 am

Ugh, I swapped out the PSU with a Corsair HX1000 I bought and that did not fix anything so now I have a spare 1000W PSU. At this point, since I'm not even POSTing, I think it's gotta be either the CPU or motherboard. I literally don't know a single person who uses an AMD system here so I have no spare parts to test with. I'm going to call up ASUS and AMD tomorrow and see if I can get replacement parts. If anybody has another other suggestions, I'm more than willing to try them.

Also, I'll be sending my old PSU for a replacement so if anyone wants a new (I think) Xclio Greatpower 1000W PSU, PM me for a price or an offer. It's 80 PLUS certified and looks to be a rebranded Channel Wells Technology PUC 1000W (see the CWT PUC 1000W compared to the Xclio Greatpower 1000W). For comparison, the Corsair HX1000 seems to be a modified CWT PUC 1000W based on this review. I'll be making a thread for it in the bargain basement once I get the replacement.

Edit: I know it's not the video card because I put it in my friend's computer and it POSTed and booted fine. It's also not the PCIe slot because I've tried a different slot and got the same result.

michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:30 pm

If you have tried your graphics card in another slot and another PSU while it still would not POST then I am leaning towards motherboard and/or memory as potential culprits. CPU rarely fails.