Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Victor von Zeppelin
Gerbil
Topic Author

Ion Platform vs. Athlon XP

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:35 pm

So, considering of upgrading the home computer from it's currently abysmal Athlon XP 1.8GHz (2600+, I think), 512mb RAM and GeForce 5200 to an Acer Aspire Revo (potentially)

Now, I know the Ram and Graphics of this new box will be considerably better, but how about the CPU? Dual Core 1.66GHz Atom vs. Single Core 1.8GHz Athlon?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: Ion Platform vs. Athlon XP

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:54 pm

If you view your current computer's performance as abysmal, I'd pass on the Revo and get a "real" computer.

Victor von Zeppelin
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:04 pm

mattsteg wrote:
If you view your current computer's performance as abysmal, I'd pass on the Revo and get a "real" computer.

As it's not "my" computer, it's only for small web browsing and the like. And most likely Sims 2.
But i'm wondering, would the performance be noticeably better than a 7 year old chip?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:14 pm

honestly, no, I don't think it would be worth the "upgrade". The Atom's single-threaded performance is pretty bad.

There are some things the Ion would be better at - mostly decoding HD video - but generally i don't think it'd be an improvement.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm guessing you're thinking about the $320 Revo as you mention the dual cores.

Straight up I'd be willing to bet for most tasks the Athlon XP is faster than the Atom 330. For some multitasking the Atom might be a little smoother. Either way neither system is going to be doing things the other can't unless it's something the graphics chip brings to the table.

The better purchase here would be the Dell Zino HD. Upgrade it's processor to the cheapest dual core offered and then add WiFi and whatever else you might see fit such as more hard drive space and you've actually got a legitimate upgrade for the same price as the Acer Revo.

Victor von Zeppelin
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:24 pm

My goodness, yes. That looks fantastic. And it's pretty much the same price.

Thanks muchly