Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Source for iPod replacement batteries?

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:31 pm

So has anybody replaced the battery in their iPod ? Specifically the iPod touch. How ugly of job is it and whats a good source for the batteries. I poked around online a bit and found a few places selling them but don't know how reputable any of the places I found are. Apple wants $79 to replace the battery there is no way I am paying that to fix it.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Source for iPod replacement batteries?

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:11 pm

Didn't you get the memo? You don't replace the battery, you replace the device. After all, it's already obsolete.
C'mon hance, you've already bought into the koolaid, now you just have to swallow....

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Not sure which generation you have, Hance. There are three of them, and there are batteries available for generation 1 and 2 here:

http://www.ifixit.com/iPod-Parts/iPod-Touch

No replacement batteries for gen3 there though. They also have guides for most things including your battery:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/iPod_Touch

Ubergerbil, you're usually much more helpful and much less of a troll, so I'ma let that slide.

edit: I have purchased replacement parts for reviving previously-dead Macs in the past and they've been good to me, but I've not dealt with any iPod part replacements.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:00 pm

that is a very useful site and 14$ for a new battery is not bad at all.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:03 pm

Cool thanks derfunk. Mine is gen 1 its been around for a couple of years and I have abused the hell out of the battery on it. Between being used on a construction site in the dirt, freezing in my truck when its -40 and cooking in the sun in the summer time its a wonder it lasted as long as it did.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:36 am

Another plug for iFixit, I have used the site a few times. The diagrams on how to take things apart are top notch. Also they give the little plastic tool.

I had to take apart my iPhone 3gs because I had 'fuzz' behind the glass screen. (I keep it in my pocket)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!