Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

silent ninjah
Gerbil First Class

Re: Team fortress 2 (ITS LIVE)

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:50 pm

I never got in to this. Bought the orange box when it came out but barely touched this game. I don't like the style or the gameplay much at all :P

L4D1/2 however, is awesome, even though I was late to the game with that one.
Q9550 @ stock | 8GB DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15 | Gainward GTX 460 GS GLH | Asus P5Q SE/R | Scythe Mugen | OCZ StealthXstream 600w | Antec 300 | Zalman ZM-MFC1+ | 1TB WD Caivar Black | Audigy SE 7.1 | Logitech X-540 | HG281D 28" | Razer Diamondback| Win7x64

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:23 pm

I felt slighted by L4D1 in terms of content, it wasn't a demo for sure, but I paid full price for that game and didn't feel like I got my money's worth. L4D2 looks great and is surely a new game etc but the first one left a bitter taste in my mouth. If it drops to half it's current price I might be tempted. TF2 offers a ridiculously great time and challenge, constant new content, lots of uniqueness to each 'class' and just a lot more value for me overall. It's a lot faster paced too which I like, and there are different game play modes that all agree with my tastes in FPS.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:07 pm

TF2 has a sublime personality unlike any other. I can't count the number of times I've laughed at a character's lines. The spy's line on being jarated is pure comedy gold.

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
http://www.teamfortress.com/demomanupdate/index.htm#item_1

Bwahaha I can't wait. This is so awesome it hurts. Man I love this game, 2 years later with major content updates.

Ehh, seems like something that'll get nerfed some. 50% fire resistant and 65% blast damage is alot. It'll be perfect in some situations though. It takes what 3 decent stickies to kill a heavy. So like 5 non crit sticky bombs, ewww.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Yeah but it turns the class into a complete melee class. I can see it being a ton of fun with these guys pushing cart or just plowing into tons of people skewing them all :lol:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:21 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:

Bwahaha I can't wait. This is so awesome it hurts. Man I love this game, 2 years later with major content updates.

Wait so the Demoman is Scottish and NOT Jamaican?!?! :o Who would've thunk it!

BWAHAHAHAHAAH
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:31 pm

Well if you used any of his taunts it was pretty easy to guess he was scottish :lol: - Heck, he even has the "FREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOM" voicechat by default! I think demoman is my favorite class just barely eclipsing the medic or engineer. I would have liked to see the engineer get some love, he's purely a support / defense class. It's hard to be offensive with him at all - there was a fan made leak that looked like these current releases that gave the engineer a dog that could sniff out spies, carry supplies, or lock onto players even after death / class change and hunt them down. It was really neat.

no51
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:37 pm

tanker27 wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:

Wait so the Demoman is Scottish and NOT Jamaican?!?! :o Who would've thunk it!

BWAHAHAHAHAAH

I'm guessing you didn't watch the 'meet the demoman' video where he explicitly states that he is a scottish cyclops.
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Intel i7 2600k - Corsair H60 - Win 7 Pro x64
16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 - Sapphire 7970 - Gateway FPD2485W
2x320gb RAID0 - 4x1000gb RAID5 - Antec Signature 850W - Tagan Black Pearl
X-Fi Fatal1ty - Logitech X-540 - RK-9000 - G9

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 pm

no51 wrote:
I'm guessing you didn't watch the 'meet the demoman' video where he explicitly states that he is a scottish cyclops.

Most likely he did, but didn't understand a word of it :lol:

(like me, the first 3 times I watched it heh)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:44 pm

I just downloaded this from Steam yesterday. Sooo.....what is it? :lol:
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:01 pm

I dunno, exactly - I own it with the orange box but I've yet to play it. I think it's online-only team-based multiplayer, but since it's 2+ years old now, the servers will be unkind to us n00bz
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:10 pm

idchafee wrote:
I just downloaded this from Steam yesterday. Sooo.....what is it? :lol:

It's a fun shooter! You choose a color (red or blue) team to play on. Then you choose a class. Every class has a strength and weakness, and a distinctive playing style. The idea is to help your team win, whatever the objective is. Some maps require nothing more than to cap a single point, or to kill all opposing members. Other require a more concentrated effort to defend or capture multiple points. The map will determine the play style.

As you play more, you'll unlock alternate weapons / powerups for your class (you usedd to have to earn achievements for unlocks but it was exploited on achievement servers so....)that will change your class' strengths and weaknesses. The best strategy is to play a class you like and try to master them all. If you notice your opposition stacking a particular class, play it's anti-class. Every class has an anti-class or at least a class that can turn the tide when played properly and supposing you have the right tool for the job. The best advice I can give for enjoying the game is not to ragequit because you're getting owned, it's frustrating at first. SPECTATE as much as possible while you wait to respawn and observe what people do as which class, you'll learn the maps strengths too.

I'll be playing a lot this week while WAR is going on. @ derFunk - your skill level will largely be relegated to how quickly you can learn a map more so than a class, and the game really is won as a team. Solo guys, outside of arena, tend to fare much worse. Protect your medic! :D

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:12 pm

216.246.108.71:27015 is the IP of one of my favorite servers, 24/7 the same map arena mode. Agent_rage is in action!

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Worthless alternative weapons. I assume the shield eats up sticky launcher. Demo loses a lot of his punch without his sticky launcher. The melee weapon sounds like you have to do "head shots" to inflict criticals. The dodgy hitboxes at close range makes this prospect unlikely. The hitpoint penalty when equipped makes it less favorable. They don't even address "demo" weakness at close quarters. The other classes that "specialized" at melee still rape him.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

boberson105
Gerbil

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:06 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Worthless alternative weapons. I assume the shield eats up sticky launcher. Demo loses a lot of his punch without his sticky launcher. The melee weapon sounds like you have to do "head shots" to inflict criticals. The dodgy hitboxes at close range makes this prospect unlikely. The hitpoint penalty when equipped makes it less favorable. They don't even address "demo" weakness at close quarters. The other classes that "specialized" at melee still rape him.

Agreed about his weakness in close quarters but in my 400 hours as demo more than a few pyros have fallen from my scrumpy bottle. I just hope to main replacment is something worthwhile and hope the demos win the war thats going on although it has been decidedly stacked since the begining with the soldier being much more effect agains the demoman.
Corsair 350D | Season S12 650 | Asrock Z97 Pro3 | 16GB G-Skill DDR3-1600 | Intel I5 4670K 4.0GHz | MSi GTX 970

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:31 pm

The sword has to go with the shield. With that, you get damage resistance to make up for the HP loss from the sword as well as a charging method that gives you higher speed than even a scout. Definitely a gimmick set but sounds like a blast to play with.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:42 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
The sword has to go with the shield. With that, you get damage resistance to make up for the HP loss from the sword as well as a charging method that gives you higher speed than even a scout. Definitely a gimmick set but sounds like a blast to play with.

Resistance only applies to fire and explosive damage. I assume the fire resistance was done to give the Demo a chance against Pyros. Explosive damage was done to help him wage his personal vendetta against the Soldier. He still Scout and Spy fodder though.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

b_naresh
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:26 pm

lordT wrote:
TF2 has a sublime personality unlike any other. I can't count the number of times I've laughed at a character's lines. The spy's line on being jarated is pure comedy gold.

My favorite line is this one the spy says after killing a demoman "The Black scottish cyclops, now extinct!". Maybe because I hate demos so much.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Resistance only applies to fire and explosive damage. I assume the fire resistance was done to give the Demo a chance against Pyros. Explosive damage was done to help him wage his personal vendetta against the Soldier. He still Scout and Spy fodder though.

So? These are weapons to give the demoman different abilities rather than abilities that'll let him dominate every other class. Turning speed is the same for every class so the ability to dash faster than a scout can run isn't something to sneeze at.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:45 am

The new soldier primary weapon is out: The Direct Hit. I can't wait to airshot people.

I can't help but respect Valve.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:32 am

a lot of the weapons seem useless at first but in the hands of the masses it turns into greatness. There is only one weapon/addon I would wish that it gets retooled and thats the snipers shield. Its suppose to be protection from backstabs. But let me tell you you I have "backstabbed" by a Spy from the side AND the front!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:48 am

tanker27 wrote:
a lot of the weapons seem useless at first but in the hands of the masses it turns into greatness. There is only one weapon/addon I would wish that it gets retooled and thats the snipers shield. Its suppose to be protection from backstabs. But let me tell you you I have "backstabbed" by a Spy from the side AND the front!

I can't tell you how many times I backstabbed someone last night only to have them turn around and melee my face. They really need to fix the hitbox and detection on stabbing, it's waaaaay off.

The direct hit looks cool, is it an unlockable or do we just get it?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:41 pm

So apparently I read this stuff all wrong, that the demoman and soldier both get their respective weapons regardless, but that whomever wins the war will be granted a special unlock not yet mentioned. Makes sense - why would they make content and spend time and money not to release it?

I wish more people played payload race modes, I can't seem to find crowded servers - It's lots of fun playing offense and defense at once.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:33 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

I can't tell you how many times I backstabbed someone last night only to have them turn around and melee my face. They really need to fix the hitbox and detection on stabbing, it's waaaaay off.

The direct hit looks cool, is it an unlockable or do we just get it?

I blame server/client prediction for Source engine. It does all kinds of weird voodoo. I had facestab every class and vice versa. I had headshot snipers that were not in my line of fire and vice versa. I had pyros who set me on fire and I wasn't close to the cone and vice versa.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:22 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
So apparently I read this stuff all wrong, that the demoman and soldier both get their respective weapons regardless, but that whomever wins the war will be granted a special unlock not yet mentioned. Makes sense - why would they make content and spend time and money not to release it?

I wish more people played payload race modes, I can't seem to find crowded servers - It's lots of fun playing offense and defense at once.

I suspect it just a special "victory" hat.

Anyway, the new unlocks are interesting.

Looks like Value scraped the multi-shoot rocket launcher for one that makes a trade for greater direct damage at the expense of splash damage and area of effect.

The alternative sticky gun is a more defensive variant. You have better control over detonating and can use more stickies at once. The tradeoff? Slower rate of rate/priming.

The Equalizer = meh. The normal shovel is good enough. Soldiers rarity survive long after they go under 50 health. It is better to retreat and get resupply/assistance from a medic. Anyway, the Equalizer's damage depends on your current health. I suspect that it has no criticals, however when you are near-death the damage makes it a guarantee critical.

The Bluff Banner might cause some B&M. What does is it gives Mini-criticals (damage boost) for the Soldier using it + his buddies in its area of effect. It probably sacks on top of "jarate" mini-critical. The drawback? You are a bigger target and it eats up the shotgun. The tight cluster that the item encourages attaches spies to go in for a stabbing spree and Pyros to do a multi-kill Backburn.
Last edited by Krogoth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:24 am

Its lag prediction seems to be too strong, so to speak. It makes it up for you and lets you hit stuff you probably shouldn't, but the inverse effect ends up being worse. If there was some way to adjust it to not be quite as strong it probably would be nice.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:58 am

I like the idea of the Equalizer. I always get rushed to get meleed once my opponent knows I am low. They'll be wary now.

The SR sounds nicer. No more commando sticky laying demo. Plus you can detonate the enemy's demos stickies which is a huge advantage.

The Buff Banner's MO hasn't been clearly explained yet. Can I attack when I use it? I don't know. But a bunch of people spewing mini crits sounds fun.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Well despite my 26 soldier kills the last 2 days the soldiers won and their reward is boots that take up the shotgun slot but greatly reduce their self-rocket jump damage. Neat. The update is live, I'm almost done downloading it, come find me! I'm off til monday so I'll be on a lot!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:31 pm

Chargin targe + eyelander = lots of fun. People are already bitching about how OP it is but it basically makes your really deadly against fire/blast but really open to anything else. The charge has to be completely powered up to use, and then the run has to be full speed to take a head. Either way, it's really fun.

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:06 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Chargin targe + eyelander = lots of fun. People are already bitching about how OP it is but it basically makes your really deadly against fire/blast but really open to anything else. The charge has to be completely powered up to use, and then the run has to be full speed to take a head. Either way, it's really fun.

Uhh, except they go flying which makes them hard to hit, terrible to kill with explosive weapons, and deadly to the heavy, and did I mention hard to kill.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd