Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Team fortress 2 (ITS LIVE)

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:36 am

Using the sword is -50 health to start (125 at this point) and most classes have an alt or normal weapon that can take care of it, heck it's even funnier to see one charge into a hail of sentry fire ;)

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:44 am

I'm pretty sure it's negative 25. :o And the demo's screwed. You still have the grenade launcher so you can still take out sentries.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:35 am

Equalizer is potentially OP. It requires a careful watch on your health. You can have a Soldier that can go "scout" speeds or faster when he is severity hurt. This can be a very powerful advantage on certain maps where they are strategically-placed medkits. It is very handy for capturing the intelligence, since you are likely going to get pounded.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:24 am

I am waiting possibly till New Years for the spam, exploits and free weekend people to go away.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:03 am

Equalizer can't be healed while it's out. A single shotgun to the face kills him when it's worth using. It's still a straight upgrade from the shovel, but not terribly OP.

Eyelander and Targe is really fun ("I want to be that guy" -comment from a teammate as I decapitated the remaining defenders and delivered the payload). But if the other team wasn't full of the type of classes the combo is strong against, it wouldn't be very useful at all. A heavy can waste a demoman trying to charge him with the minigun or shotgun. A demoman or soldier needs to pull out a melee weapon or shotgun (soldiers with Equalizer lol).

Scottish Resistance is just bad. Line of sight to detonate? Useless in a tight firefight? *sigh*

Buff Banner is great. I miss the shotgun but minicrits all around for 14 seconds is fun.

In any case, balance really can't be settled until the players start playing normal classes more. The fact there's a much higher concentration of demomen and soldiers makes certain weapons appear stronger.

thecoldanddarkone

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:56 am

ChronoReverse wrote:
Equalizer can't be healed while it's out. A single shotgun to the face kills him when it's worth using. It's still a straight upgrade from the shovel, but not terribly OP.

Eyelander and Targe is really fun ("I want to be that guy" -comment from a teammate as I decapitated the remaining defenders and delivered the payload). But if the other team wasn't full of the type of classes the combo is strong against, it wouldn't be very useful at all. A heavy can waste a demoman trying to charge him with the minigun or shotgun. A demoman or soldier needs to pull out a melee weapon or shotgun (soldiers with Equalizer lol).

Scottish Resistance is just bad. Line of sight to detonate? Useless in a tight firefight? *sigh*

Buff Banner is great. I miss the shotgun but minicrits all around for 14 seconds is fun.

In any case, balance really can't be settled until the players start playing normal classes more. The fact there's a much higher concentration of demomen and soldiers makes certain weapons appear stronger.

Ehh, a heavy can waste a demoman trying to waste him an open area, but the heavy makes a big fat target in the enclosed. Once you lob a head or 2 off your speed and life 165/180/195 can take a mini because it makes him a pretty much non moving target. I do like the change for the sandman, I think it's a fair nurf.

So it entirely depends on the map, some maps I did ok as a heavy, other maps I was getting wasted.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:00 pm

Isn't the demoman's health normally 175? I've been starting with 125 with the sword equipped. I've also seen it bug where I don't lose health, and also where I'm not using the sword and I still have the penalty. Overall I really like the update, they went back to milestone's for unlocks which makes me happy.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Ehh, a heavy can waste a demoman trying to waste him an open area, but the heavy makes a big fat target in the enclosed.

In an enclosed area, your pipes would be much more useful in taking him out. If you're up close to him, a heavy should wipe the floor with the demo every time unless the player is an idiot. The Targe needs to charge for some distance before you get the critical effect so in close range, it's just a matter of who can deal the most damage quickest.

thecoldanddarkone

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:02 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Isn't the demoman's health normally 175? I've been starting with 125 with the sword equipped. I've also seen it bug where I don't lose health, and also where I'm not using the sword and I still have the penalty. Overall I really like the update, they went back to milestone's for unlocks which makes me happy.

Ehh, no, it's 150 with sword. That's the amount of life I have anyways.
In an enclosed area, your pipes would be much more useful in taking him out. If you're up close to him, a heavy should wipe the floor with the demo every time unless the player is an idiot. The Targe needs to charge for some distance before you get the critical effect so in close range, it's just a matter of who can deal the most damage quickest.

Heavy's are typically weak around corners and once a demo gets in your face sometimes it's hard to hit them. Especially after 3 decaps. Anyways, I lob a couple grenades, and go in for the sword kill. :lol:

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:30 pm

Yeah, that's how I usually do it. I would soften them up with grenades and then close in for decaps to gain more health. Still, a heavy that keeps his wits would have seen where the pipes were coming from and would mow me down in moments. Against competent people, the opportunity to use the sword isn't as high (although I try anyway for lols).

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 pm

The Uber update just came out as well as the long-awaited "Meet the Medic" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lSzUMB ... ideo_title
Last edited by Krogoth on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:27 pm

The game is also free to play now.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am

You still have to buy, craft, trade, unlock or find drops for the non-stock items. ;)

(I know that there are a few items (cosmetic) that are special and can only be obtain through special events)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:37 am

For the past two months I have been on this TF2 kick playing almost everyday. I am trying to play all the classes well. Two classes I love to play I suck at and thats demo and Scout. I absolutely love playing soldier in 2 fort, rocket jumping to the battlements and OMGWTFPWNBBQ the snipers with a rocket to the face!

however a few drops still elude me, besides all the hats that damn Ullapool Caber will not drop for me!

So now that Meet the medic has been released that just leaves the Pyro. And I am betting that the Pyro will turn out to be a girl!

Oh an on one of my regular servers I play someone who won one of the Saxxy awards plays there. That damn Statue is a melee weapon and its an insta-kill that turn you into a gold statue. Funny as hell and you go "clank" when you fall over. LOL
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:56 am

Sounds like you're referring to the golden wrenches. There were an extremely small number of them given out, only 100 IIRC. Some people crafted them for charity.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:24 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Sounds like you're referring to the golden wrenches. There were an extremely small number of them given out, only 100 IIRC. Some people crafted them for charity.

Almost like the golden wrenches.....I know someone who used their wrench in crafting by accident.....It took many many emails but he got it restored.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:55 pm

A friend of mine got one by near accident. He saw the golden wrench event going on and crafted an item just because... and POOF. What are the odds of *that* happening, since there were only 100?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:02 pm

What in the name of the FSM has Valve done to Team Fortress 2?

CRAFTING?

I haven't played it for several years now, but when I hear people talk about it now I'm left wondering if I shifted into a different universe in which TF2 is fricking MMO. Seriously.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:18 pm

The crafting is actually not bad. The way it works is that you'll randomly get drops of duplicate items. You can take 2 of these dupes and turn them into scrap metal. 3 Scrap metal = 1 refined metal. 3 refined metal = 1 reclaimed. 3 reclaimed = 1 random hat or 4 reclaimed + token = 1 class specific hat. You can also make other weapons and trade with other people. They've found a rather easy way to monetize TF2. My only complaint is that you'll often join servers with people who are only there to take up slots and trade **** all day long. I tend to stick to a few servers I know ban easily for it. If I want to trade I'll go that route.

I've also bought a few things in the store, keys, so I can unlock my crates. It's damn addictive. I never thought I'd buy virtual goods.

One of the other major changes is that there are set bonuses granted to wearers of a set. Some of them are mo OP than others. At the end of the day I bought the game years ago on sale for $10 and I've never seen so much added to a game so long after it's release. Valve does a great job keeping the content fresh.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:32 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
The crafting is actually not bad. The way it works is that you'll randomly get drops of duplicate items. You can take 2 of these dupes and turn them into scrap metal. 3 Scrap metal = 1 refined metal. 3 refined metal = 1 reclaimed. 3 reclaimed = 1 random hat or 4 reclaimed + token = 1 class specific hat. You can also make other weapons and trade with other people. They've found a rather easy way to monetize TF2. My only complaint is that you'll often join servers with people who are only there to take up slots and trade **** all day long. I tend to stick to a few servers I know ban easily for it. If I want to trade I'll go that route.

I've also bought a few things in the store, keys, so I can unlock my crates. It's damn addictive. I never thought I'd buy virtual goods.

One of the other major changes is that there are set bonuses granted to wearers of a set. Some of them are mo OP than others. At the end of the day I bought the game years ago on sale for $10 and I've never seen so much added to a game so long after it's release. Valve does a great job keeping the content fresh.

Dupes? Trades? SETS?!?

How is this the same game?

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:39 pm

It's the same game, with crafting.

Look at it this way: Valve added a lots of new weapons/armor. However, the method for acquiring those non-standard weapons and armor are: random drops (when you die, you may find an item), crafting (in which you use your dupe items). Sets are merely, well, sets for a specific class. They have strengths and drawbacks.

You get random drops and they're very balanced, so you're not forced to indulge in crafting and trading. Just think of TF2 with a ton more different weapons/armor.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:45 pm

morphine wrote:
It's the same game, with crafting.

Look at it this way: Valve added a lots of new weapons/armor. However, the method for acquiring those non-standard weapons and armor are: random drops (when you die, you may find an item), crafting (in which you use your dupe items). Sets are merely, well, sets for a specific class. They have strengths and drawbacks.

You get random drops and they're very balanced, so you're not forced to indulge in crafting and trading. Just think of TF2 with a ton more different weapons/armor.

The soldiers health regen on hit is pretty OP - some of the items are well balanced, the SETS however provide a clear advantage with what usually equates to health + damage bonuses. I'll admit that you're not at a huge disadvantage most of the time when your pub-stomping, but if you play someone that knows what they are doing, they can usually pick you apart. A good scout with the shortstop and milk is to be feared!

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:05 pm

The extra items are pretty balanced, even the "Black Box". Having three rockets means the soldier has to reload more constantly. ;)

If the extra items are such a bother, there are still a number of servers that force stock items. ;)
Last edited by Krogoth on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:11 pm

I got two of the tommy guns for the Fatty...erm...heavy today...I really want that sniper rifle!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:29 am

Also if anyone wants to trade....I'm looking for the new rocket launcher (I got the Sniper rifle this weekend, I dont like it. my shots were missing horribly)

Anyways for trade I have some dupes of Vintage items....come on you know you want a Vintage Jarate...... :wink:

BTW I'm tanker27 on Steam.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

b_naresh
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Speaking of trading, I have tons of paints got from unboxing crates which I'm looking to trade. Anyone interested can hit me up.
Steam ID: b_naresh
Display Name: Miaow
My backpack: www.tf2items.com/id/b_naresh