Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

danhibbert
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Need opinion on montior fault

Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently brought a second monitor for my workstation, i choose a second hand Samsung syncmaster 940bf to match my primary monitor.
The monitor arrived today, I cleaned the screen with standard screen cleaner before hooking it up to my pc.
After about 40 mins of use i noticed stuck pixels appearing from the bottom corner, this area of stuck pixels has now spread into a area of stuck and dead pixels.

Now i cannot explain the cause of this fault so I welcome any suggestions. I find it weird how this fault developed after 40 minutes and not immediately.
I have noticed that this second screen makes a barely audible electrical humming sound where my original does not.
Could this be a result of me cleaning the screen, I have be using the same fluid, wipe and technique on my own screens for years.

Is it more then coincidence that this second hand monitor has failed not even an hour of use after it has been sold

All suggestions appreciated,

Dan
AMD X2 6400 @3.2GHz | 4GB DDR2 RAM | Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 mobo | Akasa 650W PSU | 9800GTX | 250GB Western Digital Caviar HDD | Gigabyte Triton Case | LG DVD-ROM + LG DVD-RAM | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic |

BooTs
Gerbil First Class

Re: Need opinion on montior fault

Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:58 pm

To clean an LCD screen you should use a water-dampened microfiber cloth. Nothing else is usually needed. A screen cleaner is probably safe since it would not be abrasive/corrosive. The main concern when cleaning your screen is that normal cleaners can dissolve the plastic coating that protects the front of the screen and make it look like ass.

Unless you had a lot of this cleaner on the screen and it seeped in to the monitor frame, (and even then) I doubt you had anything to do with this damage. I would bet the monitor was messed up and someone decided to sell it.
"Thank you for directing the option of having yourself work here today." -Management speak

danhibbert
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:33 am

Thank you for helping me rule out that possibility.
I have agreed to return the monitor for a full refund, it was just so frustrating at the time as the fault was gradually getting worse in front of my eyes.

Cheers
AMD X2 6400 @3.2GHz | 4GB DDR2 RAM | Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 mobo | Akasa 650W PSU | 9800GTX | 250GB Western Digital Caviar HDD | Gigabyte Triton Case | LG DVD-ROM + LG DVD-RAM | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic |

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Looks like someone hit it in the corner or dropped it. The same "creeping" destruction happened to my first mp3 player's screen. Glad you get a refund. :)