Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

waterloo
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Logitech X540 Speakers

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:18 am

Hi does anyone out there own a set of these speakers? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121006&Tpk=logitech%20x-540 I'm interested in buying a set of 5.1 speakers and this looks to be a really good price for me...anyone can give me an idea of how well they work?

Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Logitech X540 Speakers

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 am

i dont have the 540's ive got a set of 530's(i've had for 4 years and still work great), which are basically the same thing just don't have the center speaker tooth. (allows mounting center speaker ontop of lcd monitor)
as far as 5.1 goes they are nice, if they are only just a tweak on mids, they shouldn't be much different; the rear speakers could probably use a little more power over the front set, the center is loud enough, as 5.1 they work well enough, you just might feel a need to tweak the power here and there depending on the game/movie on individual speaker output. but that may be a bit different from me b/c i've got pretty low hearing in my right ear, but whatever...
basically if you want to pump them they will pump or they can be low toned for when people don't want to hear it.
thats all i have to say.
probably drinking some tea.

Left_SHifted
Gerbil

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:48 am

yeah, these are good speakers, but for this range i prefer the creative t6100, more wattage on almost all the speakers, better sound too.But it is a matter of preference, plus i couldn't find any listed on newegg currently :cry:
I've been using them for a while now, and i was shopping exactly in this range, and it was between these and the creatives, and they won.

only thing i don't like about mine is the blue led on the front right speakers(fixed that with a bit of tape :lol: ), and the lack of a wired volume control.

waterloo
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:54 am

okay thanks for the replies, the creative speakers look good. Guess I'm gonna be choosing either the logitech or the creative

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm currently using the X540's myself, and they are rather good for the price I've paid.
The sound quality is pretty decent and the build seems solid.
There is a few improvements over the 530s before them.
They have a solid grill, which is good because the mesh on the 530s left them open to damage from cats.
The rear speakers could have longer cables.
They aren't near as powerful as the z series 5.1, but they aren't in the same price bracket either.
They have a nice new little remote with headphone jack that the 530s don't have, but when you plug in headphones the volume control on the remote doesn't control the headphone volume.
I really do recommend them for the price though.
I like the LCD and wall mount of them, and the crisp full sound is nice.

Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:06 pm

yea the 530's rear cables could be longer, the headphone jack just acts like you plugged straight into the system on the computer audio port. little stuff here and there improved.
don't have a cat, but the grills are a bit different, i like the 530 look though, mine are still brand new looking
probably drinking some tea.