Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

NFL - week 17

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:43 am

I don't mind when the really good teams rest their starters . . . but to get blown out???

WHAT WAS WELKER DOING ON THE FIELD TO RIP HIS ACL & MCL???????????????????????????????????
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Lucky Jack Aubrey

Re: NFL - week 17

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:14 pm

That madness seemed to be pervasive yesterday. The Cowboys left Romo in the game late in the 4th quarter with the game on ice, even though he had already hurt his back.

The Eagles didn't pull McNabb, either.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:24 pm

And the Packers left Rodgers in and the Cardinals left Warner in. Seemed like everyone was afraid of a Colts-style backlash
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:48 pm

idchafee wrote:
And the Packers left Rodgers in and the Cardinals left Warner in. Seemed like everyone was afraid of a Colts-style backlash

Neither was going for a perfect record though. I think Indy should have went for it. As I doubt they will even get to the bowl let alone win it.

I hate that the wild card games will be 3/4 replayed games from this week.

I wonder if the wacky scores and surprising losses are just because it was the last week and a lot of the games did not mean poo.

Shame about Welker though. Also funny how last year NE was 11-5 and missed the Playoffs.

These are not my bets, but who I would like to see win next week. Philly, NE, Cincy & Ariz. I think Cincy & NE are locks. Not sure on the other 2. Seems Philly and Ariz can be awesome or not depending on the day. (same goes for Dallas and GB though). Homefield will play a role as well.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

lex-ington
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:17 pm

I can't say I like the Patriots to do ANYTHING with Welker out. He IS the slot man for that team and has bailed out Brady so many times during the season . . . . not to mention how many yards he picks up after the catch. I'm a Colts fan, but Welker is amazing to watch. I never get tired of seeing him play.

Welker's injury is the reason why no one shoould care to go for 16-0 anymore. To lose a high profile player in a meaningless game is retarded. Let the 2nd and 3rd stringers get some much needed playing time. . .. but that's just me.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:24 pm

lex-ington wrote:
Welker's injury is the reason why no one shoould care to go for 16-0 anymore. To lose a high profile player in a meaningless game is retarded. Let the 2nd and 3rd stringers get some much needed playing time. . .. but that's just me.

Because you know... New England was going for a 16 - 0 record this year.

I think you're really either missing or ignoring much of why Colts fans back lashed so much. Like... actually going for 16 - 0, how the Colts still play Manning to keep this start streak going even though the chances of injury are the same on every play yet the Colts continue to say they're not about records, how the teams they were playing were easily beatable and Manning wasn't touched while he was in, how the Colts tip toed around the situation all week without giving their fans even a bit of warning that they would decide to sit their starts half way through the game. It was a bad combination of 1.) Not being up front and 2.) Out right lying about caring for records, they clearly do care about records for both team and individual.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:11 pm

This is why I never bet on sports. Granted I did not really think the teams I wanted to win would win. But I'm 0-3 so far. If Arizona loses, it will be a complete wipe.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:47 am

PRIME1 wrote:
This is why I never bet on sports. Granted I did not really think the teams I wanted to win would win. But I'm 0-3 so far. If Arizona loses, it will be a complete wipe.

I went 3-1. Unfortunately the one I lost was the one I really really really wanted to win.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:06 am

Such a painful game. Such a blatant face mask.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:55 am

idchafee wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:

I went 3-1. Unfortunately the one I lost was the one I really really really wanted to win.

I watched that game. Holy hell that was exciting. The comeback, the missed easy field goal, the OT coin toss, it seemed like destiny was with the Pack. But alas. I'm sorry dude. I was rooting for the Packers if it makes you feel any better. The Cards are a long suffering franchise but they had a shot last year. At least you guys proved you don't need Brett Farve to be a contender.

Patriots/Ravens didn't watch but hooray. I can relax now. Would have been better if a maw opened up in the Earth and swallowed both teams into a pit of magma, but hey you take what you can get. Patriots have lost their magic and I hope they never get it back. 1/27/02 + 1/23/05 never forget never forgive. :evil:

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:10 am

Skrying wrote:
Such a painful game. Such a blatant face mask.

If you're talking the Green Bay / Arizona game, I have to disagree. 1) The ball was already out by the time the hands reached the face, and 2) There wasn't any turning of the head with the face mask, jsut incidental which is only a 5 yard penalty. I'm glad the officials didn't call it, because it really had no bearing on the play.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:43 am

Any face mask is 15 yards now, there is no such thing as a 5 yard face mask. I don't think this is the first year for it either.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:22 am

emorgoch wrote:
If you're talking the Green Bay / Arizona game, I have to disagree. 1) The ball was already out by the time the hands reached the face, and 2) There wasn't any turning of the head with the face mask, jsut incidental which is only a 5 yard penalty. I'm glad the officials didn't call it, because it really had no bearing on the play.

So you disagree that the face masked occur or you just disagree with the wording of the rule and where it should be applied? Any other time in the game that would have been a face mask penalty. That's the most frustrating part of professional sports right now. Penalties are moving targets because people feel they should be as time goes on. There's a certain point where "letting them play" ignores the rules completely. The league has been paranoid all year about protecting quarterbacks and wide receivers and the time it would matter most the league does nothing. The most conclusive proof it should have been called is Peter King making excuses for the referees and where they should be looking. When Peter King does that you know he's just trying to deflect blame from someone.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Any face mask is 15 yards now, there is no such thing as a 5 yard face mask. I don't think this is the first year for it either.

It was last year that they removed the 5-yard incidental face mask penalty. That said, it still hasn't been made explicitly clear whether the 15-yard penalty only requires a grasping of the face-mask, or also requires explicitly turning the head with it as well. More over, since they removed the 5-yard face mask, I've been seeing "Illegal hands to the face" called far more often, which, in the end, seems to me, be the same thing, and removing the incidental face mask rule makes no difference.

Skrying wrote:
So you disagree that the face masked occur or you just disagree with the wording of the rule and where it should be applied? Any other time in the game that would have been a face mask penalty.

Did his hand end up on Rodger's face mask? Yes. Was the hand grasping the mask? Debatable. Was there a twisting with the face mask? No. Was the hand on the face mask intentional? Absolutely not (you can clearly see that his hand went for the ball, smacked it down, and was deflected onto Rodgers mask). So, the question remains whether a face mask requires intention / grasping / twisting. According to Wikipedia, there must be intentional grasping / twisting for the penalty to be called. Not exactly an official source. The best I can find on nfl.com is the Summary of Penalties page. And this appears to be out of date, since the list both a 5-yard and 15-yard face mask.

So, was there a penalty that should have been called that was missed? I don't know. But for me, I'm glad that it wasn't called, because I believe that any penalty that may have occurred was indeterminate of the outcome of the play.

*edit: I also disagree with the length to which the league is trying to protect QB's and kickers. Stopping helmet to helmet hits? Fine. But the frequency with which they call roughing the passer / kicker penalties gets on my nerves as a fan. You shouldn't protect them by forcing the defense to take it easy. Protect the kickers by forcing them to step back an extra 5 yards. Protect the QBs by getting them to get rid of th ball sooner, or letting the offensive linemen to more to protect the QB.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:11 pm

idchafee wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:

Really? I mean I can easily lump you in with all the NE haters. But why do you like the Jets or Dallas? (Or are you not talking about preference?).

Either way I really don't like any of the teams remaining other than maybe Arizona. But I'm a bit surprised they made it this far.

I guess I would be happy with either Minnesota or NO, possibly SD (even though I don't like Brees for some reason).

I'm sick of Peyton and Dallas. I've always hated Baltimore. The Jets are...meh.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Why would he twist? There's no momentum to twist. I doubt many people would argue most players have the intention to inflict severe damage with the face mask. Most every face mask is incidental or accidental. That's why having your hand on the players face mask and leading his head into the ground with your hand on the face mask where twisting, unless it was with malice, wouldn't have made sense from any momentum stand point. He lead through Rodgers with his hand on his face mask...

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:15 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
(Or are you not talking about preference?).

I was talking about wagering.

PRIME1 wrote:
(even though I don't like Brees for some reason).

Because he went to a Big Ten school not named Michigan.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:58 am

idchafee wrote:

I was talking about wagering.

Ah. I'm terrible at that. That's why I noted the teams I wanted to win. (not the ones I thought would actually win).

PRIME1 wrote:
Because he went to a Big Ten school not named Michigan.

Nah I think it's his name. I actually like other Big Ten schools and was glad to see them do well in the Bowls. True I do not like Notre Dame (not big 10) and it's State law to hate Ohio. But I don't think I have anything against Purdue. I'm a big fan of AJ Hawk. (Mostly because he was not only sacking Brady Quinn, but also nailing his Sister). I guess it's complicated.