Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Pete Carroll to the Seahawks

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Well, back to mediocrity for him then. I will never understand why a big time college coach (Spurrier, Saban, and several others jump to mind) feel the need to "test themselves" in the NFL. You got the world by the ass, coach why you wanna go mess it up? Paterno and Bowden got it right: do what you're good at, and be the Lord of Campus.

Although I suppose the case could be made that Carroll is getting out before the NCAA lays the hammer down for the whole Reggie Bush thing
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Pete Carroll to the Seahawks

Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:27 pm

idchafee wrote:
Although I suppose the case could be made that Carroll is getting out before the NCAA lays the hammer down for the whole Reggie Bush thing

Give the man a cigar.

[/Groucho]
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 pm

idchafee wrote:
Well, back to mediocrity for him then. I will never understand why a big time college coach (Spurrier, Saban, and several others jump to mind) feel the need to "test themselves" in the NFL. You got the world by the ass, coach why you wanna go mess it up? Paterno and Bowden got it right: do what you're good at, and be the Lord of Campus.

Ego. I used to think it was money until I found out how much they get paid. Seems like a waste of tuition and state funds to me.

? What happened?
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:35 pm

The word is that with a rookie salary cap likely coming to the NFL, some of USC's star players will have to take pay cuts when they become legally professional athletes.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 pm

I agree with the OP. He was fired from his job in New England and then was at the top of the world at USC.

He might be successful in Seattle, but why risk it?
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Because he has an ego and the force is about to come down on USC. He is an excellent recruiter but only a average coach. That won't amount to much in the NFL.

Obsidian
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:20 am

Not a good day to be a USC fan. Not only are they losing important players to the NFL after a disappointing season, but also their head coach? It almost makes me happy to think it will be easier for Ohio State to go undefeated now and maybe people will stop talking about how week the Big Ten is (of course they would probably have to beat a team that's much better than them in their bowl game to really prove it).

It could be about the money as well. Apparently the Seahawks are giving him $7 mil a year, about double what he was making at USC.
Intel [email protected] w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283|Sapphire HD 4850 512MB|G.Skill Pi Black 4GB DDR2 800|Gigabyte EP45-DS3L|WD SE16 640GB|Antec Neo Power 500|Antec Nine Hundred|Dell S2209W|Logitech G9|Sidewinder X6|Razer Exactmat|Klipsch ProMedia 2.1|Windows 7 64

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:57 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
Ego. I used to think it was money until I found out how much they get paid. Seems like a waste of tuition and state funds to me.

I'm pretty sure that coaches salaries are paid from the football program itself. I know that at Ohio State, the football program supports all of its coaches and staff, as well as a few other athletic teams simply from the money it makes at games (it's something they brag about. A lot). I'd venture to guess USC does at least that.

Back on OT, I honestly think he's just running away from his problems. Perhaps he views it as his one chance to escape and leave a positive legacy (i.e. he thinks that the next few seasons they will suck).
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:00 pm

CampinCarl wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that coaches salaries are paid from the football program itself. I know that at Ohio State, the football program supports all of its coaches and staff, as well as a few other athletic teams simply from the money it makes at games (it's something they brag about. A lot). I'd venture to guess USC does at least that.

Here at the University of Michigan, the football program not only pays for itself, but also funds several other sports.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Here at the University of Michigan, the football program not only pays for itself, but also funds several other sports.

That's the not-so-unknown secret of D1 football everywhere: It funds the entire athletic program.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Obsidian
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Lane Kiffin has just been accepted to take over for Pete Carrol as confirmed by Kiffin himself as well as USC's athletic director.
Intel [email protected] w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283|Sapphire HD 4850 512MB|G.Skill Pi Black 4GB DDR2 800|Gigabyte EP45-DS3L|WD SE16 640GB|Antec Neo Power 500|Antec Nine Hundred|Dell S2209W|Logitech G9|Sidewinder X6|Razer Exactmat|Klipsch ProMedia 2.1|Windows 7 64

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 am

Obsidian wrote:
Lane Kiffin has just been accepted to take over for Pete Carrol as confirmed by Kiffin himself as well as USC's athletic director.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... it-for-him

Kiffin said he'll "have a dedication to run an extremely clean, disciplined program," adding his missteps in Tennessee will help his staff stay straight in Los Angeles.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, because "Lane Kiffin" and "clean" go hand in hand." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet Kiffin and returning assistant coach Ed Orgeron immediately faced questions about Orgeron's contact with Tennessee recruits in the 24 hours since their hiring at USC -- contact that wouldn't constitute an NCAA violation, but struck some Volunteers as overly aggressive.

Orgeron, the Trojans' new defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator, acknowledged speaking to several members of the Volunteers' recruiting class, but claimed he only gave them information requested by their families and didn't try to poach any Tennessee commitments.

Ah yes, the enticing aroma of unmitigated bull feces.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-foo ... -going-usc

"Yes, I did call recruits to clear up any questions they had," Orgeron said, according to the report. "In my knowledge, I followed the rules correctly."

Orgeron would not say which players he contacted, how many he contacted or whether he had offered them scholarships to USC, according to the report. He also refused to say whether he told recruits planning to enroll early at Tennessee not to attend their first classes this week in order to avoid transfer rules.

"I'm not going to get into that," he told the newspaper, adding, "I make tremendously strong ties with families in recruiting. I always try to guide them in the right direction and provide information to them to help some young men who are wondering, 'Coach, what can I do? What are my options?'

"All I did was present their options. Families call me. I call them. I had answers. I gave them answers to their questions."

Jeff Bray, the father of Tennessee quarterback recruit Tyler Bray, said Orgeron made a pitch to several recruits gathered in a room over speakerphone, and that he offered USC scholarships to some players, according to the report.

"He didn't think it was very cool," Jeff Bray said, describing Tyler's reaction to the pitch. "You're in the middle of all this turmoil and they're trying to pull players. ... My understanding was a lot of [the players] got very angry and voiced their anger on the phone."

Full disclosure: I don't like Lane Kiffin, never have. And I have no idea if what this coach did was by the book or not. HOWEVER, it was low rent and sleazy, no matter what its legal standing with the NCAA. Low rent and sleazy, exactly what I expect from Lane Kiffin.

Good hire, USC :roll: :roll:
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:51 am

idchafee wrote:
Lane Kiffin

I watched this unfold on ESPN. It was pretty funny, not only the review of his year at Tenn., but call in comments from Tenn fans (1 even threatened him with physical harm).

They really, really hate him now. Plus a lot of recruits have already pulled their commitment to Tenn. He probably f***ed their program for this year and maybe even a few years.

I will be pissed as well if USC does not beat Notre Dame and LoHio. :lol:
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:19 pm

We don't play USC next year... ;)

We do, however, play UMiami in what rivals PSU's OOC schedule this year for "lamest OOC schedule ever." (Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, UMiami)
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64