Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

NFL divisional and league playoff rounds!

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:55 pm

So I thought the vikings vs cowboys would be a closer game. What happened? No Jessica Simpson, no nothing. Just solid Viking defense up front and the secondary learned to tackle.

New Orleans vs Minnesota is going to be interesting. In a close game I think the vikings will win, but if N.O. has a good day it will be completely one-sided. I'm not expecting much of a middle ground. Both defenses have had many rock solid days and both offenses are potent.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: NFL divisional and league playoff rounds!

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Is Adrian Peterson dead? Like... seriously... did someone take a crowbar to his knees or something? It's not like he's been a little sub par lately but he's been horrible.

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Skrying wrote:
Is Adrian Peterson dead? Like... seriously... did someone take a crowbar to his knees or something? It's not like he's been a little sub par lately but he's been horrible.

My feeling is that teams are starting to figure him out. When you are the absolute best at your position, everyone takes notice on exactly what you do.
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:52 pm

themattman wrote:
Skrying wrote:

My feeling is that teams are starting to figure him out. When you are the absolute best at your position, everyone takes notice on exactly what you do.

He's also doing a ton while not making big plays. The fact that they are stopping him shows how much emphasis defenses put on him. He's incredible just for making the passing game more effective.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:41 pm

What? You guys have to be kidding here. Defenses having been focusing on Peterson after the first few games of the 2007 season when it was obvious that he was the Vikings only weapon.

Football Outsiders Offensive Line Numbers 2009: http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2009

Let's check out the "Stuffed" numbers. They're miserable ranking of 31st in the league tells us right away that this is a offensive line issue most likely. Then check out the "2nd Level Yards" and "Open Field Yards" that give us a even better indication of who has gotten worse, Peterson or the Line. Notice that while the Vikings were 31st in Stuffed they're 14th and 8th in 2nd Level and Open Field, which hints that once Peterson is past the line of scrimmage he's the same Adrian Peterson. So, the Vikings are MUCH worse at letting Peterson do his work instead of coaches just now focusing on him (which, as I think about that further is even more incredibly odd thought given the Vikings upgraded from T-Jack to Favre this season).

If you compare the 2009 numbers to the 2008 and 2007 Vikings offensive line numbers this essentially reflects Peterson's averages. They've gone down as the line has gotten worse while Peterson's breakaway runs have stayed the same.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:52 pm

I would agree that our line has gotten worse. It really hasn't been the same since we lost Matt Burke.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:18 am

SpotTheCat wrote:
themattman wrote:
Skrying wrote:

He's also doing a ton while not making big plays. The fact that they are stopping him shows how much emphasis defenses put on him. He's incredible just for making the passing game more effective.

Did they really need him in that game?

It's kind of nice to be able to rest you biggest weapon when your other weapons are doing so much damage.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Brett Favre just went down in a heap after throwing an interception into triple coverage.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:11 pm

Harvin talking ball security tips from Peterson?

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Tied :o
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Favre throws another pick... and we're going to OVERTIME!

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:25 pm

Dear vikings:

Stop dropping the god damned football.
offensive line, you've sucked balls all year. You are the weakest link.

Favre - I bet you want that play back. Didn't Tom Brady do the exact same thing for his loss?

Dear officials,
As always, you blew a lot of important calls.

I hate games like that. Games shouldn't have nearly that many penalties and fumbles.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:30 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Favre - I bet you want that play back. Didn't Tom Brady do the exact same thing for his loss?

His last game for us ended in similar circumstances.

Garrett Hartley drinks for free in New Orleans for the rest of his life.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:33 pm

That was an easy kick though.

Way to go officials, pass interference on an un-catchable ball and pass completion on a catch that hit the ground before he had control.

Kevin
Administrator

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:43 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Way to go officials, pass interference on an un-catchable ball and pass completion on a catch that hit the ground before he had control.

I was screaming un-catchable at the TV too, but after they showed the replay it looked like a decent call. Leber needs to turn around a little and pretend to go for the ball. The ball hitting the ground was okay too, no way the ref could have overturned that.

The Vikings lost because of the two picks and god knows how many fumbles. Unbelievable.

Favre: Thanks for the fun season, never would have made it this far with Trava-enthals. Although Travaris would have known to run the ball on that last play to get enough yards for a field goal.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:46 pm

In other news, Dante Culpepper has lost a lot of weight and claims to be in good shape. :lol: He can't be worse than Tjax.

I think Favre's done though.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:16 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:

Yeah that was awful. Hell most of the game was awful. Lube ball for the loss.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:25 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
That was an easy kick though.

So was the FG Rackers missed a couple weeks back. You still have to kick it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 am

Kevin wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

I was screaming un-catchable at the TV too, but after they showed the replay it looked like a decent call. Leber needs to turn around a little and pretend to go for the ball. The ball hitting the ground was okay too, no way the ref could have overturned that.

The Vikings lost because of the two picks and god knows how many fumbles. Unbelievable.

Favre: Thanks for the fun season, never would have made it this far with Trava-enthals. Although Travaris would have known to run the ball on that last play to get enough yards for a field goal.
My count is 2 picks, 6 fumbles, 5 TOs, and 1 5 yard penalty to get out of field goal range. On the PI I wasn't entirely convinced that the NO player didn't trip over his own feet.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:25 am

The first pass interference call in OT was questionable at best. Then they later missed one that wasn't called. Not on the same level of importance given the yardage and situation, but still. These calls almost always go both ways and even out over time.

The Favre interception was another one of his jokes. As good as he played this year (and literally having maybe his best year ever if efficiency and turn over ratio counts at all) he makes stupid mistakes. He didn't need to throw that ball at all. It wasn't even a "need to get there for the FG" type of situation. A incompletion would have been completely justified, hell it was the right move to throw it away at that time. Nope, his "hero gene" kicks into gear and he ruins yet another post season for a team. You want Favre's legacy? Last pass for Green Bay, New York and now Minnesota... all INTs.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:27 am

I only saw the end of the fourth and overtime. I actually wondered why Favre screwed up so badly on his last pick. Moreover, I wondered why the Vikings D could not reel in a turnover in overtime. Were they thinking "Well, the Head Coach brought #4 in, make him win the game for us."?

While it is great for the Saints to go to the Super Bowl in Miami, #18 and the Colts will probably crush their dreams and win the whole thing. Don't believe me: Ask the NY Jets after halftime of their loss.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:33 am

riviera74 wrote:
I only saw the end of the fourth and overtime. I actually wondered why Favre screwed up so badly on his last pick. Moreover, I wondered why the Vikings D could not reel in a turnover in overtime. Were they thinking "Well, the Head Coach brought #4 in, make him win the game for us."?

Favre is the interception king, always trying to force a play. This was such a messed up game I don't know who to blame. I am thoroughly sick of "pass interference". This needs to be a reviewable call.

While it is great for the Saints to go to the Super Bowl in Miami, #18 and the Colts will probably crush their dreams and win the whole thing. Don't believe me: Ask the NY Jets after halftime of their loss.

The Jets suck, I don't think the Saints will have a problem crushing the Colts.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:37 am

You sure about that? Saints still have no real defense, especially against the run. If the Saints had a real D (rather than just an opportunistic one), then maybe they have a chance. I do know that #18 lives to pick apart mediocre defenses and will NOT allow the Saints from getting his 2nd Super Bowl victory.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:51 am

PRIME1 wrote:
Favre is the interception king, always trying to force a play. This was such a messed up game I don't know who to blame. I am thoroughly sick of "pass interference". This needs to be a reviewable call.

Pass interference is a judgement call. If you want to start making such calls reviewable then you'll ruin the entire game. On any given play there's some subjective rule that could be called. Even the wording of the rule is highly subjective. Making pass interference, and the like, a reviewable call would make these situations even MORE contentious. Not something the league would want.

The Jets suck, I don't think the Saints will have a problem crushing the Colts.

Really? The Jets offense sucks. The Jets defense on the other hand was far and away the best in the league. While Manning was able to handle them quite easily in the second half I have high doubts it'll be easy for the Saints to stop Manning.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:54 am

riviera74 wrote:
You sure about that? Saints still have no real defense, especially against the run.

The Colts have near zero run game. Their defense is so-so. It will be a shoot out and so far that favors the Saints.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:39 am

riviera74 wrote:
You sure about that? Saints still have no real defense, especially against the run.

Their style pisses me off and makes very slow games. This game was over its allotted time before over time. The game plan seemed to be to walk the line of legal play, which draws tons of penalties and really roughs people up. I guess some people like watching that, but I hate all of the penalties and should-be penalties that come out of such play.

There were a few roughing the passer calls that could have been handed out, too, but I guess these refs had a different idea about that than some others. At least they were consistent in not calling it.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 am

YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:57 am

Skrying wrote:
Nope, his "hero gene" kicks into gear and he ruins yet another post season for a team. You want Favre's legacy? Last pass for Green Bay, New York and now Minnesota... all INTs.

Exactly right.
He slides feet 1st.
They bring Longwell out.
Game is over.
Instead he throws across his body.
Opposite side side of the field.
Into to coverage.
INT.

Saints were hammering him.
He looked tired.
His age was showing.
I don't see him coming back.
He got his wish.
Got Minnesota.
And then he blew it as only he could.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:20 am

Colts ran for 101 yards against the vaunted Jets defense, while their 'weak little D-Line' was holding the vaunted Jets rush attack to 86 yards, so saying they have zero running game and zero running defense isn't exactly truth. They run when they have to. If you had Peyton Manning as your QB, and with the way his rookie receivers are playing along side Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne, would you ever run the ball?

Also, you live by the Favre, you die by the Favre. How does it feel to have all the Packer fans' warnings come true in the biggest game of the year for the Vikes? Consequently, did anyone else think Favre was hamming up his injury to look like a hero if he won the game for them? "What a warrior he is!", they'd say. Truth be told, something had to be up with those footballs. Neither team seemed to be able to hold on to them. When you have 6 fumbles, QBs that couldn't get a grip on the ball when throwing it (see the way the ball left Brees hand in the OT drive), there is something not right with the balls.