Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Buzzard44
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Who dat!

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:17 pm

Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints! I can't believe we're finally going to the Super Bowl! As I promised my friends, I'm gonna shave my head into a fleur-de-lis. I'll post pictures next week.

Who dat! Who dat! Who dat gonna be partying it up in New Orleans with me in two weeks?!
Core i7-990X, 12 GB DDR3, 500GB BX100 SSD, 2x GTX 590s, 5x 2TB WD Greens, 1x 4TB WD Black

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Who dat!

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Dumbest. Catchphrase. Ever.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:53 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Along with words like........wif (as in with), ain (as in ain't..which isn't even really a word), aiight, etc...
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 pm

One of the Bulls title teams used to run around yelling "whoop there it is..." I was always like "there what is, Michael Jordan's hair? The tip that Scottie Pippen left?*"

* = Trick question, Scottie Pippen never leaves a tip.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Pizzapotamus
Gerbil

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:22 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Ahem. 'J - E - T - S'
In conclusion New Jersey football sucks.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:35 pm

idchafee wrote:
One of the Bulls title teams used to run around yelling "whoop there it is..." I was always like "there what is, Michael Jordan's hair? The tip that Scottie Pippen left?*"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoomp!_(There_It_Is)

But you know... being completely out of the loop and then wondering why you don't "get" something is fine too.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Five NFL teams have never appeared in a Super Bowl:

Jacksonville Jaguars
Houston Texans
Cleveland New Browns
New Orleans Saints
Detroit Lions

(The Lions did go to the NFL championship in the pre-Super Bowl era.)

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:06 pm

The Chiefs haven't been to a Super Bowl since 1970. :-?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:01 pm

Hoser wrote:
(as in ain't..which isn't even really a word)

This is a pet peeve of mine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain%27t
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

MixedPower
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Buzzard44 wrote:
Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints!

Da Colts, dat who! :wink:
i5 4690K | Sabertooth Z97 Mk2 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 970 | 500GB 840 Evo + 500GB Spinpoint F3 | Xonar DSX | SS-660XP2 | Heligon | FT05 | U2413 + 2209WA | Corsair K90 | Logitech G502 | ProMedia 2.1 | Win 10 Pro x64

Buzzard44
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:46 pm

MixedPower wrote:
Buzzard44 wrote:
Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints!

Da Colts, dat who! :wink:

Dem yanks lie, yeah!
Core i7-990X, 12 GB DDR3, 500GB BX100 SSD, 2x GTX 590s, 5x 2TB WD Greens, 1x 4TB WD Black

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:13 am

Skrying wrote:
idchafee wrote:

But you know... being completely out of the loop and then wondering why you don't "get" something is fine too.

Uh huh, I knew it was a song. And how does that relate to a basketball team again? What is the loop I'm out of here?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:53 am

Some of you guys need to learn to wrap URLs with the url tags.

If you don't, the forums leave off the final character(s) that isn't (aren't) letter(s). So in a rush to a failed attempt to make idchafee feel stupid, Skyring only managed to post a broken link.

Pizzapotamus wrote:
Ahem. 'J - E - T - S'

That's more of a cheer than a catchphrase. The "dem Saints" nonsense is...well here, allow me to explain:

Hoser wrote:
Along with words like........wif (as in with), ain (as in ain't..which isn't even really a word), aiight, etc...

Proving the stereotype that southerners really are stupid. They make the few exceptions really stand out. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:54 am

idchafee wrote:
Uh huh, I knew it was a song. And how does that relate to a basketball team again? What is the loop I'm out of here?

Probably because of strong ties between hip hop cultural and basketball cultural? That might just be a guess though. Even the (broken link which has a "Did You Mean" on it that directs you right to the article) link mentions a specific version of the song done for the Houston Rockets 1994 championship.

The dialect of a region isn't some indication of stupidity. It's an indication of a general lack of education at absolute most. Even more, getting upset about some catchphrase being used by a fan base that basically pokes fun at their regions dialect is far more annoying than the catchphrase in my opinion.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:34 am

So in reality what you're saying is that this is dumbing it down for the fanbase. If it's the region's dialect, then obviously they can't say it correctly. :lol:

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:44 am

That does not matter. Peyton Manning will slice up the Saints (lack of) defense and make Drew Brees catch up to him. Saints will lose in the Super Bowl...... just like Atlanta in SB XXXIII and Carolina in SB XXXVIII.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:34 pm

My only tiny bit of insight is - Drew Brees looked out-of-place from mid third quarter to the end of regulation. He can't do that in the superbowl. If Favre had HANDED the ball to Peterson and let him fall forward for three yards, the Saints would have not been a topic for conversation right now.

I hope the Saints don't get SB-fever and get blown out. I really do hope the Saints make it an entertaining SB.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:47 pm

SNM wrote:
Hoser wrote:

And for when people whine that wiki isn't a valid source:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ain't

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:51 pm

People forget that words that are used often enough do become defined acknowledged words.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Scrotos wrote:
SNM wrote:
Hoser wrote:

And for when people whine that wiki isn't a valid source:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ain't

1. Nonstandard except in some dialects. am not; are not; is not.
2. Nonstandard. have not; has not; do not; does not; did not.

Soooo...since it's non-standard, that means it's generally not accepted as being a word, right? Just BEING in a dictionary doesn't make something proper.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Soooo...since it's non-standard, that means it's generally not accepted as being a word, right? Just BEING in a dictionary doesn't make something proper.

Sorry, it's in the OED. It may not be "proper", but it's an official English word.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Traz
Gerbil

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:48 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Five NFL teams have never appeared in a Super Bowl:

Jacksonville Jaguars
Houston Texans
Cleveland New Browns
New Orleans Saints
Detroit Lions

(The Lions did go to the NFL championship in the pre-Super Bowl era.)

It's just Cleveland Browns, not New Browns.
"Gentlemen, behold! I have made love to this machine! And in retrospect, I ask myself why..."
-Dr. Weird.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Traz wrote:

Agreed. The Browns team history did not and does not accrue to the Ravens' team history, although individual history always accrues to the player. WRT team history the Ravens are treated as an expansion team as the NFL explicitly held out the Browns team history for assignation to the reformed Browns.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Traz wrote:

Agreed. The Browns team history did not and does not accrue to the Ravens' team history, although individual history always accrues to the player. WRT team history the Ravens are treated as an expansion team as the NFL explicitly held out the Browns team history for assignation to the reformed Browns.

So they're like the Cleveland Browns Reloaded?
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Hoser wrote:
So they're like the Cleveland Browns Reloaded?

No, it's more a response to the way the Baltimore Colts loaded up the semis in the dark of night and became the Indianapolis Colts before anyone knew what was going on.

In the case of the Browns Art Modell bet wrong on a stadium deal. He backed out of a plan to play the Browns at the to-be-built Jacobs Field thinking he could get public money for Municipal Stadium (a/k/a The Mistake by the Lake). That cratered when he realized how much cash he lost by the Indians playing in their own stadium. He brokered the deal to move to Baltimore but this time the NFL had sufficient notice to force Modell to take an expansion franchise and leave the Browns legacy in Cleveland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_ ... ontroversy

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:26 pm

The New Browns expansion team had nothing in common with the old Browns except for the uniforms.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:13 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The New Browns expansion team had nothing in common with the old Browns except for the uniforms.

Tell that to the NFL. They consider the Browns to be the Browns but with a 3 year gap.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:16 am

Skrying wrote:
Probably because of strong ties between hip hop cultural and basketball cultural? That might just be a guess though. Even the (broken link which has a "Did You Mean" on it that directs you right to the article) link mentions a specific version of the song done for the Houston Rockets 1994 championship.

The dialect of a region isn't some indication of stupidity. It's an indication of a general lack of education at absolute most. Even more, getting upset about some catchphrase being used by a fan base that basically pokes fun at their regions dialect is far more annoying than the catchphrase in my opinion.

You totally lost me here, to the point that I don't really care anymore. Next topic.

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 pm

Haven't been to the forums for a while, but I figured I better on the the eve of Peyton Manning getting his second Super Bowl MVP trophy. This one will be more deserved I'm sure.

GO COLTS!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:04 pm

5150 wrote:
Haven't been to the forums for a while, but I figured I better on the the eve of Peyton Manning getting his second Super Bowl MVP trophy. This one will be more deserved I'm sure.

GO COLTS!

The funny thing about all of this is, is the people around here that really want to enjoy the party are just going to New Orleans for the game. There were a few places claiming to be showing it on theater sized screens, but i remember reading that cease and desist letters were being sent to them. I wonder if they took care of that problem.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.