Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

will the iPad succeed?

yes: it's what people want
11 (16%)
yes: the RDF is stronger than its shortcomings
14 (20%)
no: i can better netbooks for a lower price
13 (19%)
no: does this thing even have a niche? what's it trying to do?
17 (25%)
cheese!
14 (20%)

Total votes: 69

willyolio
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

your prediction: iPad, success or failure?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:02 pm

So, what do you predict for the iPad: another appleTV, or the next iPhone?

Basically, it's a giant iPod Touch:
- runs the iPhone OS and iPhone apps natively, but it isn't a phone.
- has a bigger screen, so:
--> you can use it as an e-book reader
--> apps like google maps and such look way better
--> movies look way better
- has a faster processor, so it runs all the iphone apps faster

unfortunately:
- due to the iPhone OS, you can't multitask.
- no camera
- no Flash support
- proprietary dock. buy an adapter for any kind of connectivity, including USB.

BoBzeBuilder
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: your prediction: iPad, success or failure?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:17 pm

It's a useless waste of money. If you're going to spend that much, get a real computer that does everything. I can't see this succeeding like the iPhone, but I'm sure it'll sell, thanks to braindead fanboys.
i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz / Cooler Master V8 / Asus P8P67 Evo / 8GB G.skill DDR3-1600 / Zotac GTX 780 3GB / Seasonic S12-650 / Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD / Corsair 600T Graphite / those cheap 1440p Korean monitors

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:21 pm

It will make them money. What other definition of success is there?

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:31 pm

It will sell based on hype and cool factor. Will it sell tons? I'm not so sure. It's got all the shortcomings of an iPhone just without the contract but none of the advantages, mainly pocketability. I am not really impressed by it whatsoever and although I like to dislike Apple I can see the value in some of their products, mainly the iStuff. Just not this iThing.

But people LOVE getting attention for their gadgets because they're usually just shallow worthless humans with few interesting thoughts of their own who base their worth on getting ego-stroked by other people. I base this off people I know, by force at work not choice, who love showing off their gadgets :p I usually take pity on them and don't let them attention-whore but don't them down too much either.

BoBzeBuilder
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:31 pm

Skrying wrote:
It will make them money. What other definition of success is there?

Would Apple lose money on anything these days? They might as well release me with an Apple sticker.
i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz / Cooler Master V8 / Asus P8P67 Evo / 8GB G.skill DDR3-1600 / Zotac GTX 780 3GB / Seasonic S12-650 / Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD / Corsair 600T Graphite / those cheap 1440p Korean monitors

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:36 pm

I think it's very sleek and sexy and would be a blast to play with, but at the end of the day, I see it as useless. If I can carry an iPad around, I can carry a 13" MacBook Pro. If I'm away from my computer, my iPhone fills in nicely. It allows me to check email, surf the web, listen to music (audiobooks and podcasts too), use a great calendar app that syncs up nicely with my Mac, and a lot more.

I don't feel the need to drop $500 on an iPad. That's my opinion; if it works for you, go for it! It sure has a cool factor to it...
Twitter: @xmunos

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:37 pm

BoBzeBuilder wrote:
Would Apple lose money on anything these days? They might as well release me with an Apple sticker.

What is your point? Your mindless and ignorant bashing is far more annoying than any Apple fanboy. Sadly you've always had this quality. At least MadManOriginal at one point use to make legitimate points, now he's also fallen into your realm.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Aww Skrying my little internet Stradivarius, I don't make legitimate points any more? What's not legitimate about this from my post just above?
It's got all the shortcomings of an iPhone just without the contract but none of the advantages, mainly pocketability. I am not really impressed by it whatsoever and although I like to dislike Apple I can see the value in some of their products, mainly the iStuff. Just not this iThing.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:29 pm

I'm not going to buy one because my laptop and my iPhone fill my needs. But the netbook market has exploded, and I would much, much rather have one of these than a netbook:
1) Better screen, hands down. Since most of what I could imagine doing on a netbook is web browsing -- ie, reading -- that screen is important. It's larger and higher-resolution than netbook screens, which means that you can see more. And it's an IPS display. Now, I'm not very picky about monitors, but my iPhone has a better screen than the netbooks I've seen, so I'm grateful for the IPS.
2) Better media watching. Sure, no flash, but it will play 720p video in almost the right resolution without complaint (and without fan noise!) and it'll do it for 10 hours if the battery life claims hold up -- and after their notebook/iPhone battery claims of the last 2 years, I believe them.
3) Less space requirements. I use my laptop for two hours/day on a train, and it's certainly doable but when I get crowded in on a full train it's uncomfortable and I'm taking up more than my share of space. With something like the iPad, I wouldn't. As I said in the front page it won't work for me as a software developer, but if I were editing other people's papers or reading my email or preparing presentations in iWork it'd be fine.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:46 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
Aww Skrying my little internet Stradivarius, I don't make legitimate points any more? What's not legitimate about this from my post just above?

The fact that you like to dislike a company is just fanboyism in reverse. It's being as much of a sheep as you accuse other people to be. You didn't even give specifics just generalization.

firerules16
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:59 pm

The lack of multitasking is epic fail for this thing. People don't necessarily expect the ability to run multiple apps on their cell phone. On a computer, which is what many people will use this thing as, it's essential. It also has the power to run multiple apps, so the fact that it won't is sheer stupidity.
I7 4770K @ 4.3 ghz (delidded) | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | Asus Z87-A Mobo | G.SKILL Ares 16GB DDR3-1866 RAM| Gigabyte GTX 970 OC x 2 (SLI) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | 3 TB Mechanical Storage | Corsair Carbide 400R Enclosure | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W PSU

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Skrying wrote:
MadManOriginal wrote:

The fact that you like to dislike a company is just fanboyism in reverse. It's being as much of a sheep as you accuse other people to be. You didn't even give specifics just generalization.

Sorry I don't care to spell it out in detail. Basically I think Macs are overpriced, that's the main thing I don't like about Apple, on top of all the rediculous hype, fawning, and consumer attention whoring. As I said I can see the value in some of their iStuff products. But heck, if it's easier for you to just dismiss people and then ignore their question as to why they've been dismissed - what was not legitmiate about what I wrote regarding the iPad here or elsewhere - then feel free. Not liking Apple doesn't automatically make a person's points illegitimate. It's not like you're able to see anyone to understand other people might have different priorities, opinions, or preferences than your own anyway. :D

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:36 pm

I think the iPad is a sitting target, just waiting to be done better by someone else. Unlike the original iPod it isn't ahead of the curve in any way.

However, despite all of its shortcomings it will probably still sell enough to not be a failure. If the RDF can sell iPod shuffles, it can damn well sell a truckload of iPads. Its not a completely useless product, it's just that other products do some of what it can do a lot better.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:07 pm

blitzy wrote:
Its not a completely useless product, it's just that other products do some of what it can do a lot better.

Please do tell. I don't think the iPad is flawless (we'll start with the name, dear god), but I don't know of anything comparable to it that doesn't have serious shortcomings. A netbook? Puh-leeze. Netbooks are for people who can't afford a laptop -- if they don't have one for the price they're almost certainly better off with an iPad and their proper laptop.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:18 pm

SNM wrote:
Please do tell. I don't think the iPad is flawless (we'll start with the name, dear god), but I don't know of anything comparable to it that doesn't have serious shortcomings. A netbook? Puh-leeze. Netbooks are for people who can't afford a laptop -- if they don't have one for the price they're almost certainly better off with an iPad and their proper laptop.

One of the CULV based laptops out there would do many things far better than the iPad. For one is productivity. There's to many limitations on the iPad to make it useful for say editing a .docx file even with the keyboard attached. It would be hard pressed to imagine many cases where I could even do school work with just an iPad. While a netbook, or more likely for the people on this forum a CULV based laptop, can do that.

The iPad 2nd Gen will be an interesting product. iPad 1st Gen is to limited.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Skrying wrote:
One of the CULV based laptops out there would do many things far better than the iPad. For one is productivity. There's to many limitations on the iPad to make it useful for say editing a .docx file even with the keyboard attached. It would be hard pressed to imagine many cases where I could even do school work with just an iPad. While a netbook, or more likely for the people on this forum a CULV based laptop, can do that.

See, this is what I don't get. Sure, you can say that the iPad won't be as productive as a CULV laptop in a lot of cases, but it's not for those cases. Everybody I know who has a netbook either:
1) Can't afford a laptop and needs portable computing, or
2) Uses it as an ultra-portable desktop, hooking it up to a monitor and keyboard everywhere they use it -- and only using it for web browsing and ssh, or
3) Has a laptop too, and uses the netbook for curling up in a chair or taking notes or playing games in class.

For case 1, sure, if you need to pretend you're working on a full-powered computer you're better off with a netbook. For case 2, sure, but you're not using a netbook -- you're using a thin client. For case 3? iPad all the way. It has what looks like a real text editor, presentation software, and spreadsheet so you can do editing. And actually give your presentation while mobile but having more control than a clicker allows. It has a better screen than netbooks, with more resolution than most, for better media consumption. In slate form it is easier to curl up around for net browsing or book reading. It may not have a great notes app yet, but I bet it will soon, and we all know there are plenty of games.
Netbooks are small, slow laptops with all the issues that brings. I don't want a smaller laptop, I want something to read Ars Technica and watch Youtube and my TV shows on without dealing with my larger laptop. A netbook can do these things and lots more besides, but the iPad will do these things better and my laptop and desktop will do all the "lots more besides" things better.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:55 pm

First, the iPad doesn't have a higher resolution than most new netbooks. It has a lower resolution than all CULV units 11.6" or larger. Yes, it has a higher quality panel. This is a trade off that you stated as fact. There's a lot of give and take there that can determine a persons usage of the product.

We know next to nothing about the ported iWork to the iPad. We don't know how capable it will be. We don't know how well it will handle Microsoft Office documents (how does the current iWork for OS X handle .docx, etc, etc?). We also saw Apple take a unique step for them. They've introduced bluetooth keyboard support themselves for the iPad. That would hint to me they feel for the iPad to be effective in this usage you need a real keyboard. That knocks down the portability advantage significantly (I'd argue that a ultra portable is easier to carry than a iPad + Apple keyboard, but that is pure opinion).

The iPad is in the region of ultra portables. The 11.6" to 13.3" CULV based units we're seeing on the market. They're about in the same price range, $50 of each other for base units. I'd agree that as a media device, gaming device and reading the device the iPad is superior. But as a productivity device I really don't see this argument. ESPECIALLY when you look at the limitation of not being able to multitask. There's simply way to many scenarios of being in class where I can see this being a major, major issue. Even if you want to use iWork and another Apple first party app (which you can switch between) the iPhone OS is simply NOT designed for multitasking.

I see the iPad as pretty much any first generation Apple hardware. You're far better off waiting on the next revision. Lots of promise but you don't want to be like the first iPhone people or the first aluminum MacBook Pro people. Wishing you had just waited because features you do want (web cam, multitasking, sd card reader built in, maybe even USB in some form) is probably going to be coming relatively soon.

MixedPower
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:17 pm

I voted cheese; I can't think of a particular niche that this will cater to (aside from the stereotypical apple follower). If there is one though, the RDF and marketing combined with the fact that it is the first of its kind to market and probably won't have any competition in the near future could make it wildly successful. Also, isn't the 4.0 firmware (which I assume it will be shipping with) supposed to enable multitasking?

EDIT: It appears that the 4.0 firmware isn't expected for a while, and I should note that multitasking support seems to be pure rumor and speculation at this point.
Last edited by MixedPower on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i5 4690K | Sabertooth Z97 Mk2 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 970 | 500GB 840 Evo + 500GB Spinpoint F3 | Xonar DSX | SS-660XP2 | Heligon | FT05 | U2413 + 2209WA | Corsair K90 | Logitech G502 | ProMedia 2.1 | Win 10 Pro x64

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:25 pm

I like how you guys all seem to think you're the market for this thing and therefore since you're not interested it will flop. I think that, at this point where 2/3 of all non-cheese votes say it will be a flop, you guys are funny. :lol:

This thing will sell > 1M units in the first full quarter of availability and sales will climb from there. If not, I'll...eh...I'll eat my hat.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:34 pm

To be honest I don't care how successful it is, that's my cheese awnser. I will be lauging at a few friends who buy this and never use it. :lol:
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:54 pm

SNM wrote:
Skrying wrote:

See, this is what I don't get. Sure, you can say that the iPad won't be as productive as a CULV laptop in a lot of cases, but it's not for those cases. Everybody I know who has a netbook either:
1) Can't afford a laptop and needs portable computing, or
2) Uses it as an ultra-portable desktop, hooking it up to a monitor and keyboard everywhere they use it -- and only using it for web browsing and ssh, or
3) Has a laptop too, and uses the netbook for curling up in a chair or taking notes or playing games in class.

For case 1, sure, if you need to pretend you're working on a full-powered computer you're better off with a netbook. For case 2, sure, but you're not using a netbook -- you're using a thin client. For case 3? iPad all the way. It has what looks like a real text editor, presentation software, and spreadsheet so you can do editing. And actually give your presentation while mobile but having more control than a clicker allows. It has a better screen than netbooks, with more resolution than most, for better media consumption. In slate form it is easier to curl up around for net browsing or book reading. It may not have a great notes app yet, but I bet it will soon, and we all know there are plenty of games.
Netbooks are small, slow laptops with all the issues that brings. I don't want a smaller laptop, I want something to read Ars Technica and watch Youtube and my TV shows on without dealing with my larger laptop. A netbook can do these things and lots more besides, but the iPad will do these things better and my laptop and desktop will do all the "lots more besides" things better.

So basically it's a toy to do things which people who might buy it likely already have toys to do. Fair enough.

Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:10 am

it's a nice idea, i like lenovo's u1 hybrid more so, the optional keyboard might come in handy and it does the same kinda things anyway, too bad it cost twice the amount, at least the software isnt going to be tied to buying it out of the itunes store :p
probably drinking some tea.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:21 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
So basically it's a toy to do things which people who might buy it likely already have toys to do. Fair enough.

Well, yeah, for now...
But laptops were toys once too. ;)

This continues the inevitable extension of computing into more and more specialized roles.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:24 am

SNM wrote:
MadManOriginal wrote:

Well, yeah, for now...
But laptops were toys once too. ;)

This continues the inevitable extension of computing into more and more specialized roles.

Laptops weren't toys, they were business machines. 'Average consumers' didn't have laptops when desktops cost $2k++.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I like how you guys all seem to think you're the market for this thing and therefore since you're not interested it will flop. I think that, at this point where 2/3 of all non-cheese votes say it will be a flop, you guys are funny. :lol:

This thing will sell > 1M units in the first full quarter of availability and sales will climb from there. If not, I'll...eh...I'll eat my hat.

Break out the steak sauce...
Twitter: @xmunos

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:19 am

Its cool and I want to play with, fondle one of them. I have an iPod touch so this is really just a big version of it. The iPad is hit and miss in my opinion. For my personal use it would be a cool armchair surfer other than that I have no use for it. I put it in the Mac Mini range. Its going to sell ok but nothing to get excited about.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:54 am

This guy is going end up being a repeat of Newton.

A product that failed on its own, but manages to drive the market making a expensive niche into affordable mainstream. In iPad's case it will help bring touchscreen PDAs, tablets and netbooks to the masses.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:00 am

If this didn't cost as much as a CULV laptop then it wouldn't be so bad.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 am

Steve Jobs (or someone at Apple) "We don't know how to make a $500 computer that isn't crap"

but

"Here's this $500 device that does all these things better than a computer!"

I lol at stuff like this.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:21 am

Skrying wrote:
I'd agree that as a media device, gaming device and reading the device the iPad is superior. But as a productivity device I really don't see this argument. ESPECIALLY when you look at the limitation of not being able to multitask.
Quoted for truth.