Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: The iSlate Thread

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:26 pm

I've never had an issue with my AT&T service (best coverage in my area). I just wish they had multiple partners so people who have say Verizon service already can go with them, etc, etc.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:28 pm

I can't tell - are the iWork apps going to be iPad only? I'd never thought of having an office suite on my iPod before, but I can see ways it'd actually be useful - especially since I'm not doing any data sync between my iPod and my PC. I'm dreaming of a world in which I can take notes in Pages and sync them to my desktop.

Of course they'd probably be .pages files and I'd have to have a Mac to actually open them.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Already being called the iPad everywhere else. *snicker*

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:51 pm

Skrying wrote:
Bit disappointed. Basically a massive iPod Touch. I like that they'll support a keyboard dock. I like the price (even the 64GB is lower than I expected for the base model). LOVE that they're doing a no contract data plan via AT&T (well, not really the AT&T part). iWork could be an awesome application depending on how far a redesign went, coupled with the keyboard dock could be impressive. Think the hardware could be limiting. I really don't like the massive bezel. No need to make an already massive device even bigger with a black bezel.

Overall... I think it will do ok. Won't revolutionize any markets like the iPod Touch and iPhone did though. I don't expect to see every person owning one like they do a iPod Touch or iPhone.

Will say... much rather have one of these than that awesomely boring HP slate. But that's not saying much as far as my desire.

A sd card reader would have been nice... I know I'm dreaming. :lol:
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:56 pm

No multitasking. That's a major issue for a device of this size as well.

thecoldanddarkone

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Skrying wrote:
No multitasking. That's a major issue for a device of this size as well.

That just tipped it in the hp slate's favor for me :P :lol:
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:03 pm

No multitasking is an absolute show stopper for me. Having a very capable phone without it is annoying enough.

Also, about the shipping in 60 days. I remember Apple having products for sale on the day of the announcement event all the time. Am I misremembering things?

thecoldanddarkone

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:09 pm

lordT wrote:
No multitasking is an absolute show stopper for me. Having a very capable phone without it is annoying enough.

Also, about the shipping in 60 days. I remember Apple having products for sale on the day of the announcement event all the time. Am I misremembering things?

Most of the time it's within a week or two, or purchasable the day of but shipped in a few weeks. The problem is they want apps specifically made for this so they made the annoncement early to build up hype so developers would start making programs for it.
Last edited by thecoldanddarkone on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:10 pm

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
That just tipped it in the hp slate's favor for me :P :lol:

It just made this both useless to me. No multitasking ruins any functionality I'd want from a device of this size. Windows 7 isn't a good slate OS which ruins the HP slate.

ApockofFork
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:58 pm

I was hoping for more with this mostly from the content provider side. People had been talking about it revolutionizing print media but all apple did was make another online book store. The most interesting thing is probably their wringing of a cheap contractless data plan out of AT&T.

Separately I don't understand all the hating on windows 7 as a slate OS. Windows 7 is practically designed to be used in a purely touch fashion and in the cases when its better to use a stylus you can use one of those. It even has a pop up on screen multi-touch keyboard. Oh and it runs flash. A 600-700$ Slate running an intel CLV chip could probably get 8 hours of batter life (it would weigh more and be a bit thicker) but would generally be much more useful I think.

Of course Apple and Microsoft already know what people want and thats the courier thing that microsoft teased us with months ago.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:03 pm

It's not so much about Windows 7 itself but the programs available that you would run on Windows 7. Anyway, Explorer is a poor experience with touch input. As are all of the Office applications. Messing around in the Office ribbon menu on a touch device is simply not fun. You need application designed from the top down for touch input. This is why devices like the HP slate simply don't make much sense unless Microsoft wants to create a dedicated effort to get developers to design and release software for that type of input.

It's about the applications. That's the key part of any of these devices. Then comes the method of getting those applications. Then comes the hardware at the end.

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:02 pm

Look at these and tell me you don't want them. Maybe 5-6 months after it has been released.

I can't help but harp on the multitasking part. If a phone can do it, why the hell can't a tablet? Battery concerns perhaps? It'd have been so much more better with multitasking.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 pm

axeman wrote:
Developers, developers, developers.

The iTunes store definitely has no shortage of those. :lol:

I'd like to take a moment, however, to denounce the organization of the iTunes store. Holy crap what an awful layout. iTunes the app is the media gods' gift to mere mortal men. iTunes the store is one of the concentric circles of media hell. Just miserable.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:29 am

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
A sd card reader would have been nice... I know I'm dreaming. :lol:

Ask and ye shall receive.....look at the bottom of the page
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:35 am

Skrying wrote:
It's about the applications. That's the key part of any of these devices. Then comes the method of getting those applications. Then comes the hardware at the end.

Which is why the iPhone is so successful IMHO, without the abundance of apps in the app store it wouldnt be anything really. I think the iPad will do just fine once dev's start coding for it.

And you are right about Office not being touch screen friendly, yeah it sucks even with a stylus.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:48 am

tanker27 wrote:
Ask and ye shall receive.....look at the bottom of the page

I think everyone is aware that there will be dock adapters for SD cards, USB, etc, etc. That's not what we want. Having to carry around adapters hurts the portability and kills the potential ubiquity of a device like the iPad.

As I was falling asleep last night it occurred to me... I would love to see a slate device running WebOS. With the new PDK Palm announced and the way WebOS handles multitple apps (they showed 50! running on the new Pre Plus) I think it would be awesome on a device of this size with appropriate hardware changes.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 am

Skrying wrote:
I think everyone is aware that there will be dock adapters for SD cards, USB, etc, etc. That's not what we want. Having to carry around adapters hurts the portability and kills the potential ubiquity of a device like the iPad.

HUH, What. As I look around the office.......everyone carries some type of bag, whether it be a bag of of holding or a minimalist bag for protection, everyone has one. (Even as I look at commuters they to have one)

And item like the iPad will not be carried outside "as is", thats just dumb. Now if it was some adapter that spanned the width of the item I would complain but its not.

Yes they could have put one on the item itself but they didnt. (I dont know why but they didnt.....) But I am not surprised, as they haven put a reader on anything else besides laptops. /shrug.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 am

Thresher wrote:
thecoldanddarkone wrote:

I think it depends on what your using it for, if it's media consumption, then this would probably win out (except 16 gigs isn't a whole lot when you think that the resolution data need is probably 4x as much). If it's productivity, I'd go with a netbook. At 500 though it's skirting the lower end laptop range.

I think they priced it in a good range, I'm not going to buy one, but I still think they priced it in the right range. I also didn't realize how expensive the kindle was.

If you can stream from iTunes on your PC, then the capacity becomes a moot issue. To me, this would be awesome.

As long as you're at home :roll:

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:23 am

This pretty much covers a lot of the problems
http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-t ... t-the-ipad

Big, Ugly Bezel
Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

No Multitasking
This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

No Cameras
No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

Touch Keyboard
So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

No HDMI Out
Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

The Name iPad
Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

No Flash
No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

Update: Why stop at 8? Here are more things we are discovering that suck about the iPad.

It's Not Widescreen
Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!

Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G
Sure, it's "unlocked." But it won't work on T-Mobile, and it uses microSIMs that literally no one else uses.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Why is Flash such a deal breaker for everyone!? Seriously Flash needs to GO AWAY anyways.

I heard somewhere that they were working on a iPhone to HDMI cable? maybe I dreamed it....heh I use the component cables from my iPhone and it looks just fine broadcasting my iTunes movies.

the widescreen coupled by the bezel is really disappointing.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

thecoldanddarkone

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:33 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Why is Flash such a deal breaker for everyone!? Seriously Flash needs to GO AWAY anyways.

I heard somewhere that they were working on a iPhone to HDMI cable? maybe I dreamed it....heh I use the component cables from my iPhone and it looks just fine broadcasting my iTunes movies.

the widescreen coupled by the bezel is really disappointing.

It's a simple concept. Most of us could care less about flash in its quality sense, in fact I HATE flash, but from the practical side of me, it's used and currently controls a commanding lead over everything else in that catagory. It is probably going to keep that lead for a few more years (at least a few more years). It has become a cornerstone of some types of websites. This device is already limited in its functionality, while it does what it does great, eliminating a good portion of web browsing was not in its best interest. It's probably left out for 2 reasons, how powerful the device is, and it's not as lucrative for Apple.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:43 pm

I don't think Adobe and Apple like each other all that much. My guess is that it only spans about 2/3 of modern PC history, around the time that TrueType was invented. It was the first threat to the PostScript empire.

No doubt with Flash, Adobe is feeling the squeeze, between HTML5 video and Silverlight.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Flash is slowly going away for video. With IE 9 I think it will become very rapid. YouTube, Dailymotion and Vimeo already offer either all or much of their videos using HTML5. That's a lot of big mover support for something not in all of the major browsers.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:25 am

which is why Flash should not be a deal breaker. Its a good thing. My guess is that those that cite Flash a a dealbreaker are huge Hulu users. /shrug
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:19 am

tanker27 wrote:
which is why Flash should not be a deal breaker. Its a good thing. My guess is that those that cite Flash a a dealbreaker are huge Hulu users. /shrug

It's still the vast majority of the market. The iPad (and iPhone) can both easily do it on their hardware as well. Apple is simply blocking it. If Adobe knew they could get Apple to allow it we'd have Flash within a week on iPhone OS devices. That is reason to get mad if you ask me. I simply don't think it's reason if to not buy the device alone (that's fixed by the other number of major issues).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:26 am

I don't get the "no multitasking" complaint. People want to use Pandora or an IM client and then browse the web or something. I use the "Music" app on my iPod touch to connect to internet radio and eBuddy for IM software (which does AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Facebook chat, and a handful of others) and then browse the web or play solitaire. I still get IMs thanks to eBuddy's push notifications and the streaming radio continue to play. People complaining about no multitasking need to actually use one of these devices for a while. I think the only people who would find it unsatisfactory are people who go into it knowing that it's a faux multitasking.

If apps remember what they're doing before they close, there's no big deal. Safari, Solitaire City, eBuddy, Tweetdeck, Facebook, and just about everything else I have remember what they were doing when they were closed and drop you off in the same place.

thecoldanddarkone

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:43 pm

I wish websites were built a little better for touch. It's ok for browsing, but trying hit things like the next page can be rather painful unless I zoom in. Good example, tr forums. ugh.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:59 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
...faux multitasking...

Reminds me of the old Terminate Stay Resident programs, way back in the day (not that I know from experience, as I'm all of 17. We covered them in my IT class). I really like that; it's such a slick workaround.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Yeah, that's more or less it. The only possible complaint I see is that you have to hit the home screen before swapping to another app. If you hit OK to a push notification it'll launch the right app, quitting the one you're in, but if you want to look something up on Google and paste it into a note, for instance, you have to fire up Safari, find what you want, copy, and then hit the home button and launch the notepad. It's not TOTALLY flawless, but it works very, very well for me.