Argh, failed BIOS flash!

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Argh, failed BIOS flash!

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:35 pm

Just tried to update the BIOS on my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, and it failed during the flashing process. Now the board won't POST, and none of the normal "boot block BIOS recovery" procedures work. Looks like I killed it good. Crap!

Rather than futz with trying to RMA the damn board, I just ordered a replacement BIOS chip from badflash.com...

Guess my A64 build will be delayed a couple of days. :cry:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:39 pm

Cool, somehow badflash.com had slipped under my radar. Good to know.

I don't suppose you know of anywhere to get a bios chip for a linksys wireless router/switch? Got one with exactly the same problem.

Good luck with (rest of) the build!
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:56 pm

I think Asus also has it that you can buy new BIOS chips directly from them for a small price and also i think they allow you to send them the chip and they will reflash it for you for a smaller price. At least i remember seeing that somewhere when i had a flash go bad nearly two years ago. Also check ebay, might be able to buy a broken board with a good BIOS chip real cheap, cheaper than the chip alone. Thats what i did. :)
Does anyone remember laughter?
random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:14 pm

Aww, sorry to here that jbi... I hate the sinking feeling in your stomach when a BIOS or firmware flash goes bad. It's happened to me a couple of times, and it's not fun, I tell ye.

However, badflash.com sounds quite cool! If it ever happens to me again, (which I'm sure it will!) I'll have to check them out.
Intel 4770K @ 4.3 ghz (delidded) | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | Asus Z87-A Mobo | G.SKILL Ares 16GB DDR3-1866 RAM| Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | 3 TB Mechanical Storage | Corsair Carbide 400R Enclosure
firerules16
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:32 pm

Sorry to hear that happened to you. So what did happen when you were flashing it?
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:35 pm

If you know anyone who works at a high tech firm, they may have a PROM blower. Just give them the chip and the BIOS on a floppy and they should be able to program it for a beer :)

I have seen designs on the web for simple PROM blowers driven off the parallel port. The hard part is getting the sockets, nice PROM blowers have funky universal ZIF ones.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:56 pm

I've seen someone hot swap a BIOS chip. It actually worked but was kinda scary to even see it being done. Much safer to do it powered off.
Blahpony
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:04 pm

UberGerbil wrote:Cool, somehow badflash.com had slipped under my radar. Good to know.

I don't suppose you know of anywhere to get a bios chip for a linksys wireless router/switch? Got one with exactly the same problem.

If the chip is socketed, and you have the file with the firmware image, badflash.com might be able to make one for you. Probably worth e-mailing them to check. If you send them the old chip, it costs a bit less as well.

random gerbil wrote:I think Asus also has it that you can buy new BIOS chips directly from them for a small price and also i think they allow you to send them the chip and they will reflash it for you for a smaller price. At least i remember seeing that somewhere when i had a flash go bad nearly two years ago.

Yeah, I looked around their site a little bit and didn't see anything. I was also looking for fast turnaround, so I can get on with this build; an RMA or getting ASUS to send me a replacement chip would probably take a while.

Also check ebay, might be able to buy a broken board with a good BIOS chip real cheap, cheaper than the chip alone. Thats what i did. :)

Good idea... I didn't think of that.

Starfalcon wrote:Sorry to hear that happened to you. So what did happen when you were flashing it?

Well, I decided to try and flash it using the flash tool that is built in to the BIOS instead of using a bootable disk. It appeared to read the image file OK, started to erase the PROM, then died with the message "Failed!". System was completely hung at that point, and wouldn't POST thereafter.

FWIW this is the first time I've ever tried to flash a BIOS without booting from a DOS floppy, and (not coincidentally?) also the first time I've ever killed a motherboard BIOS. I think I will go back to doing things the "old fashioned" way. :roll:

notfred wrote:If you know anyone who works at a high tech firm, they may have a PROM blower. Just give them the chip and the BIOS on a floppy and they should be able to program it for a beer :)

If I was still working in the telecom industry, I could've probably even done it myself; used to flash a lot of EEPROMs back when I worked on DSL/cable modem firmware. :wink: Badflash.com was the path of least resistance though -- no need to ship the board or take the chip to someone to have it flashed... just do it all from the comfort of my desk chair. Lazy, huh? :lol:

I have seen designs on the web for simple PROM blowers driven off the parallel port. The hard part is getting the sockets, nice PROM blowers have funky universal ZIF ones.

Back when I was in college, a buddy and I rigged one like that. At that time (early '80s), PROMs required some weird-ass voltages during programming... 24V or something goofy like that. I remember we had a stack of 9V batteries wired in series, since we didn't want to spend the money to buy (or the time to build) a special power supply...

Blahpony wrote:I've seen someone hot swap a BIOS chip. It actually worked but was kinda scary to even see it being done. Much safer to do it powered off.

Yeah... unfortunately if the existing chip is totally hosed, your options are rather limited. The idea is to boot off of a good chip, swap the bad chip in, and re-flash it without powering the system down.

I'm actually thinking of getting one of these:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx ... ia=BA09803
http://www.ioss.com.tw/eg/rd1/index.html

It's essentially an aftermarket DualBIOS adapter... looks like you can also use it to do hot swaps without having to physically remove/insert the chip while the board is powered up. Considering that the device costs less than a single replacement BIOS chip, it is probably a worthwhile investment.
Last edited by just brew it! on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:08 pm

I have the same board, I've flashed from windows several times, using the included app.

I havent run into a single problem yet
So how fast is your car, anyway?

Oh, about 1200mhz.
Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:23 pm

Splinter wrote:I have the same board, I've flashed from windows several times, using the included app.

I havent run into a single problem yet

Yeah, just my rotten luck. Maybe built-in BIOS flash capability is still new enough that they haven't worked all of the kinks out yet.

IIRC when the Windows-based BIOS updaters first came out, they were kind of hit-or-miss too.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:21 pm

Update: This is apparently a known issue with the built-in EZ-Flash utility included with the stock ASUS K8V SE BIOS. :evil:

My order to badflash.com is already in-process, but maybe I should complain to ASUS anyway, and see if they'll send me a free replacement chip. It certainly couldn't hurt to have a spare...
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:37 am

I would do so, since it is a known problem.

It sucks that they do not warn their customers that it is a known issue.... :-?
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:44 am

BIOS flashes will be (if not already are) the sole reason to own a floppy drive. I tried MSI's Win-based tool once and got lucky when I could get the recovery routine to work.

Of course, it's been 18 mos since I flashed (the curse of old mobos) so YMMV.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:46 am

That is the only way I like to do them too, the windows ones I still consider too unstable to be completely safe.
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:59 am

Starfalcon wrote:I would do so, since it is a known problem.

It sucks that they do not warn their customers that it is a known issue.... :-?

Filled out the support request form on their web site, and requested a replacement BIOS chip. We'll see what happens with that...
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:02 am

Well good luck, I hope they send it out soon. At least you will have a spare.
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:19 am

Well, no dice from Asus. Just got a response (in broken English)... apologetic, but unhelpful:
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is ailon ,and I would be assisting you today.

I'm sorry to hear that , but i cant' give your spare bios chip , sorry for giving any inconvenience . if your bios chip really bad , you could contact your dealer for RMA service or get spare bios from there .
If having any problems, please don't hesitate to let me know. Let's discuss this issue together.
Sorry again and best regards !

We'll see if badflash.com comes through. They claim "next business day" turnaround, so in theory my replacement chip should ship on Tuesday.

Edit: I also just ordered one of those "BIOS Savior" thingies I linked earlier in this thread. I'll let y'all know whether it works as advertised.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:40 am

Nice support from asus there, it is a know issue with their board, and they tell you to go back to where you bought it to get it fixed rathe than taking care of it themselves. That is the main reason I stay with abit, their RMA service is great and they will take any boards that you have no matter the age and fix them for you.
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:48 pm

I have dealt with asus and their re-flashing service (link).

They (at least at the time) charged $5 (US) for a reflash of the ship (this included return shipping) and $20 for a new chip, flashed. All you do is tell them the revision and the board model. It was fairly prompt (I think 3-4 days) and easy.

The key is to talk to the American asus tech support. No engrish emails, no textbook replies :wink:
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:04 pm

Nice to have floppies for the loading of sata drivers too :wink:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:37 pm

And for Abit http://www.excaliberpc.com stocks all the BIOS chips here in the states, quick and easy to order :)
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:09 pm

Well, the BIOS chip from badflash.com came... and my K8V SE lives again! :D

Maybe I'll be able to get on with the Athlon64 build later tonight...
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:16 pm

Did you get one with the new bios on it :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:23 pm

LicketySplit wrote:Did you get one with the new bios on it :lol:

You betcha! When you order, you give them the URL of the BIOS you want them to download and flash onto the chip, and they flash your chip to order. Pretty neat.

They cost a bit more than some of the other BIOS recovery sites, but the service was excellent, and they take credit cards (some of the others will only take Paypal). Priority mail shipping was included too, so that may bring the effective price more in line with the others...
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:34 am

w00t!

I'm posting this from the new Athlon64 box... :D

Once I got the BIOS chip issue sorted, the remaining issues were all "operator error":

- Mounted the floppy drive into the drive cage using the wrong mounting holes; it stuck out past the front bezel when the front panel was put on. Take out and redo.

- Mounted the drive rails to the CD burner using the wrong holes in the rails; wouldn't go into the bay. Take out and redo. (Anyone see a pattern here? :roll:)

- Could've sworn I had a spare CAT5 cable in my junk collection; apparently not. D'oh! The system is connected to my router via a cheesy old 10BaseT cable for the time being. Maybe I'll hit the TigerDirect Outlet tomorrow for a decent CAT5 cable...

System seems 100% stable so far.

At this point, I think I'll install the Folding@home client on it and go to bed...
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:36 am

congrats on the build 8)
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:10 am

just brew it! at 02:34 wrote: At this point, I think I'll install the Folding@home client on it and go to bed...
I recognize that pattern, too. :)
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:24 am

SuperSpy00bob wrote:I have dealt with asus and their re-flashing service (link).

They (at least at the time) charged $5 (US) for a reflash of the ship (this included return shipping) and $20 for a new chip, flashed. All you do is tell them the revision and the board model. It was fairly prompt (I think 3-4 days) and easy.

The key is to talk to the American asus tech support. No engrish emails, no textbook replies :wink:

Yeah I did that about two years ago myself when a flash went bad. Unfortunately it told me it went fine. (I was doing it the old way JBI :wink: ) The american support is much better. I believe they were in TN back then. Don't know if they moved though. Took less than a week to get it back. I didn't have a prom puller so I had to go out and buy one.

I have the K8N-E and the windows flash supplied with the board worked fine for me. At least with a bad flash in windows (had one once) you can just replace it with a working rom.
atryus28
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:58 am

atryus28 wrote:I didn't have a prom puller so I had to go out and buy one.

Back when I worked at Westell, most of the guys in the lab used dental picks instead... the PROM pullers sat unused in a tool drawer. The dental picks were actually a lot easier to use; you just had to be careful not to nick any of the PCB traces underneath the socket! (Management really hated us using the dental picks though... guess they didn't like having sharp instruments near their precious DSL modem prototypes... :lol:)

I don't have a PROM puller (or dental pick) either; there's supposed to be a puller included in the "BIOS Savior" kit I ordered from mwave, but it isn't here yet. So I improvised a puller by bending a hook into the end of a paperclip with some needlenose pliers:

That's the dead BIOS chip next to my "puller". Once I have the BIOS Savior, I'll make myself a backup chip by re-flashing the dead one.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:57 pm

Glad it is all working now, plus it should give your folding stats a nice boost.

I do agree with you on those rails too, there are so many holes in them that you can easily screw it in wrong and find out when it will not fit that it is the wrong hole.
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Next

Return to Processors