Catalyst 'Shoot 'em up' driver to bring big FPS gains
AMD is preparing to release its Catalyst 7.10 graphics drivers for ATI Radeon graphics cards later this week, and they're expecting to deliver big performance gains for Radeon HD and Radeon X1000-series GPUs with this update. Those improvements mainly focus on first-person-shooter games, hence the cheesy "Shoot 'em up" name AMD has given the driver update. Here's a quick run-down of the performance boosts AMD is expecting:
- Battlefield 2142 Crossfire™ performance improves 5-23% on the ATI Radeon™ HD 2600, ATI Radeon™ HD 2400 and ATI Radeon™ X1300/X1550 series
- Call of Duty 2 performance improves up to 6.7% on both single card and Crossfire ATI Radeon HD 2600 and ATI Radeon HD 2400 configurations
- Call of Juarez DirectX® 10 Crossfire performance improves up to 42% and single card performance improves up to 34% on all ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 series products.
- Company of Heroes DirectX 10 Crossfire performance improves up to 80% on all ATI Radeon HD 2000 series products and single card performance improves as much as 31% on ATI Radeon™ HD 2900 and ATI Radeon HD 2600 products
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Crossfire performance improves as much as 23% on ATI Radeon™ 1000 series products and single card performance improves as much as 23% on both ATI Radeon HD 2000 and ATI Radeon 1000 series products
- FEAR Crossfire performance improves as much as 16% on the ATI Radeon™ X1950 XTX, ATI Radeon™ X1650 XT, ATI Radeon HD 2400 series and ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 series
- Supreme Commander Crossfire performance improves up to 30% on all ATI Radeon HD 2000 and ATI Radeon 1000 series products. The ATI Radeon™ X1650 and ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 series products see even greater improvements of 82% or more.
Those are AMD's own numbers, so take them for what they're worth. The drivers should be available for download soon, and of course, we'll let you know when they are.