The workstation market saw massive growth in the third quarter, according to a report by market research firm Jon Peddie Research. JPR says 763,000 branded workstations shipped in Q3, a 23.2% rise over last year, while revenue increased 18.3% to $1.8 billion. That growth was driven not by proprietary workstation vendors, JPR says, but entirely by products from independent hardware vendors like AMD, Intel, and Nvidia. Workstations from "big-iron vendors" like HP, SGI, Sun, DEC, and IBM are "almost completely absent," with x86 hardware accounting for 99% of units sold.
As far as professional graphics hardware goes, JPR says a record-breaking 1.1 million units shipped in Q3, a growth of 32.6% over last year. The research firm estimates total street revenue of $338 million, a growth of 29%, "the highest jump JPR has seen to date." Nvidia was king of the hill in that market with a crushing 86% share, while AMD held most of the remaining 14%.
|AMD reveals suitably massive Ryzen Threadripper packaging||28|
|Rumor: Specs of six-core Coffee Lake CPUs leak||4|
|Alphacool Eisblock HDX-2 and HDX-3 help M.2 SSDs beat the heat||11|
|Corsair Lighting Pro Expansion Kit lets builders turn up the lights||11|
|Gigabyte SA-SBCAP3350 puts formidable power on a single board||14|
|Adata D16750 power bank is tougher than the average juice pack||16|
|Deals of the week: fast memory, an AM4 motherboard, and more||18|
|Corsair RMx White Series PSUs take a walk on the snowy side||24|
|Intel crams 100 GFLOPS of neural-net inferencing onto a USB stick||44|
|Waiting for FaceRipper http://images.anandtech.com/doci/11636/dbwthwoxkaeehmw-1.jpg.324b24f4c47236d1eaf463abf6ad95a3.jpg||+8|