They're small, light, and cheap, and they've been seducing cash-strapped users for months now. However, 8.9" Eee PCs may also be about to disappear from store shelves and e-tail listings altogether. DigiTimes quotes Asus Asia-Pacific President Benson Lin as saying Asus will "completely phase out" Eee PCs with 8.9" displays in 2009.
Why such a dramatic move? 10-inch models are "becoming the mainstream specification in the market," according to Lin. DigiTimes says Asus expects 10" Eee PCs to make up 95% of all its netbook shipments this year, with 7" machines aimed at telecom companies accounting for the other 5%.
The popularity of 10" Eee PCs isn't a new phenomenon. When we whipped up a poll to ask readers for their favorite netbooks last September, the Eee PC 1000H got the most votes (18%), while only 5% of folks picked the Eee PC 901. Right now, 10" Eee PC models are available for as little as $349.99 on Newegg, and going with a lower-specced 8.9" machine only saves you 50 bucks. Both systems have the same display resolution of 1024x600, however.
|AMD drops prices on the Radeon RX 460 and RX 470||3|
|Reports: Radeon RX 470D is a budget Polaris card for China||2|
|Examining reports of slow write speeds on the 32GB iPhone 7||12|
|Cellular Insights dissects iPhone 7 Plus modem performance||10|
|Deals of the week: scads of high-performance storage and more||7|
|Tobii's Eye Tracker 4C knows where your head is||0|
|GeForce driver 375.57 is prepared for Titanfall 2||6|
|Phanteks Eclipse P400 gets a tempered glass option||0|
|Radeon 16.10.2 drivers add support for October's big games||10|
|A real "console monitor" would be 720p @ 30 Hz ;P||+58|