OpenCL may turn out to be the next best thing, but for now, AMD is still working hard on bettering its existing ATI Stream SDK—the set of tools needed to write general-purpose applications that can run on the firm's GPUs. Earlier today, AMD brought its Stream SDK up to version 1.4, adding enhancements from multi-GPU support in single apps to improved Visual Studio 2008 support.
Here's a run-down of the changes and additions in AMD's words:
- Significant feature enhancements to Brook+:
- Support for multiple GPUs in a single program.
- Support for 8-bit and 16-bit integer types.
- Interoperability with DirectX API.
- Access to thread-level data sharing.
- Improved support for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.
- Performance enhancements to the Brook+ runtime:
- Support for memory pinning to optimize data transfers.
- Support for asynchronous stream write requests.
- Additional hardware features exposed in CAL:
- Support for texture sampling (bilinear).
- Support for FETCH4.
- Support for the ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 and 3870X2.
- Support for the ATI FirePro 3D V8750, V8700, V7770, V7750, V5700 and V3750.
Developers can download Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Linux versions of the Stream SDK 1.4 beta right from AMD's Developer Central. The download page includes links to the ATI Stream Computing white paper and associated documentation, as well. Folks who'd like an easier-to-parse overview of AMD's general-purpose GPU computing strategy may want to check out our interview with AMD's Patti Harrell.
As we reported last December, AMD plans to add OpenCL support to the Stream SDK by June. The firm also intends to provide a transition path for developers who currently use the Brook+ language.
|Merry Christmas, everybody!||54|
|Christmas Day Shortbread||14|
|Study shows tablet screens mess up your sleep||59|
|Gigabyte's wireless scissor-switch keyboard still has gaming chops||5|
|Origin has a holiday sale going on, too||32|
|Christmas Eve Shortbread||26|
|Cooler Master's Silencio 652S case reviewed||14|
|Grab Game of Thrones, BioShock Infinite in today's Steam deals||15|
|The new Star Citizen trailer looks amazing||43|
|Nice try, wife.||+34|