No wonder PC vendors like HP and Asus are in a hurry to get slate devices out in the market. A consumer survey quoted by PC World suggests that the Apple iPad alone may put a significant dent in netbook sales.
Consumer electronics shopping guide Retrevo organized the survey, which involved "more than 1,000 U.S. consumers." The results are interesting, to say the least. Retrevo found that, when asked if they held off on buying a netbook after the iPad launched in January, 30% of respondents said they did... and subsequently purchased an iPad. Meanwhile, 40% held off but grabbed a netbook anyway, while only 30% were unshaken by the launch.
More interesting still, when asked if they were planning to buy an iPad or a netbook, a whopping 78% of respondents leaned toward the Apple device. The remaining 22% sided with netbooks. And when asked about what feature in particular made netbooks attractive, 54% of folks said "small & light," while price and battery life got 20% and 19% of responses, respectively. "Other" attributes (like, oh, maybe being able to run Windows) accounted for only 7% of responses.
|1. Ryszard - $603||2. Hdfisise - $600||3. Andrew Lauritzen - $502|
|4. Redocbew - $350||5. the - $306||6. SomeOtherGeek - $300|
|7. chasp_0 - $251||8. Ryu Connor - $250||9. mbutrovich - $250|
|10. aeassa - $175|
|Apple's A9 impresses and the Nexus strikes back: The TR Podcast 188||2|
|Color is key with Dell's latest trio of Ultrasharp displays||32|
|Android 6.0 Marshmallow rolls out to Nexus devices starting today||18|
|Google Fiber has arrived in Damage Labs||108|
|Silverstone's PT18 chassis lets NUCs run fan-free||8|
|Intel to begin shipping Skylake CPUs with SGX enabled||31|
|Premium HDMI cables will be ready for next-generation media||53|
|Microsoft acquires Havok physics engine from Intel||84|
|AMD unleashes mobile Tonga with the FirePro W7170M||15|
|You don't need moral fortitude to see that "Intel" is an anagram for "Let In." Applying similar standards, if you look closely at "AMD", you'll notice...||+40|