The Catalyst 13.2 beta graphics drivers that we previewed a couple of weeks ago are now available via AMD's website. As we've noted, these drivers include game-specific tweaks for several titles. These tweaks provide lower and more consistent frame rendering times—in other words, better performance, properly measured.
Here's a complete list of the changes in this driver, courtesy of AMD's Andrew Dodd:
- Improves performance up to 15% in high MSAA cases for the Crysis 3 beta release
- Future updates will be made to AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta to further improve performance in Crysis 3 for both single GPU and CrossFire configurations
- Significantly improves latency performance in Skyrim, Boderlands 2, and Guild Wars 2
- Improves single GPU performance up to 50% for DmC Devil May Cry
- Improves CrossFire performance up to 10% for Crysis 2
- Resolves Texture flickering seen in DirectX9.0c applications.
This driver improves frame rendering times in the three specific games mentioned above, and those improvements should affect any Radeon of relatively recent vintage, not just newer cards based on the GCN architecture.
Still in the works is a rewritten memory management routine for GCN-based GPUs. AMD anticipates the future driver with this new memory manager will reduce frame latencies in DirectX 10 and 11-based games on cards based on GCN chips. We're awaiting that one impatiently, but Radeon owners who play any of the games mentioned above will probably want to grab this update, as well.
|Alphacool Eislicht makes for a moody PC interior||1|
|Thermaltake Versa C22 RGB case is the envy of KITT||4|
|Ryzen CPUs and AM4 mobos are ready for pre-order||37|
|Nvidia all but confirms the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti||25|
|Report: VR headset market is dominated by Google Cardboard||5|
|Intel XMM 7560 modem is ready for 5G anywhere in the world||7|
|AMD's eight-core, 16-thread chips lead the Ryzen charge||211|
|Kopin microdisplays could make VR headsets sharper and slimmer||7|
|Something about running from a deathclaw right into my mancave wall is not that appealing.||+30|