Deal of the week: Black Friday edition
Amazon has a massive collection of PC games on sale, including a stack of very recent titles:
- If you don't have Battlefield 4 already, now would be a good time to pick it up. The game is 50% off at $30 right now. Buying BF4 directly from EA's Origin service can knock another $10 off the price, as well. Slickdeals has the necessary promo codes.
- I've been playing a lot of Batman: Arkham Origins lately, and it's a solid title. The PC version is 60% off, bringing the asking price down to just $20.
- There's a piracy joke in here somewhere, but I've been staring at Black Friday flyers all morning, so I've got nothing. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is on sale for $35, a $25 discount.
- The BioShock games are all pretty good, and the latest chapter in the franchise has particularly stunning visuals. You can pick up BioShock Infinite along with its two predecessors for only $15 thanks to a special combo deal.
Storage deals are all over the place, and some are considerably better than others:
- Seagate's 600 SSD 240GB is discounted to $130 at Newegg. The 600 SSD has been on sale quite often recently, and $0.54/GB is a very nice deal, especially considering the drive's solid all-around performance.
- If you're on a tight budget, Kingston's SSDNow V300 120GB is very affordable. Early birds got to pick up this drive for just $60 at Newegg this morning, and the price has only risen to $70 since that door-crasher deal expired.
- Mechanical drives need love, too, and Newegg has a doozy of a deal on WD's Black 4TB. This 7,200-RPM monster usually sells for around $300, but it's priced at only $200 right now. As with all WD Black drives, five-year warranty coverage is included.
- Toshiba PH3300U-1I72 doesn't have quite the same ring as WD Black, but it's a better deal, at least on a cost-per-gigabyte basis. The Toshiba drive delivers 3TB of 7,200-RPM mechanical storage for just $90. The three-year warranty is better than the two-year coverage included with a lot of desktop drives, too.
Loads of PC components are on sale today. Here's a selection of some of the more notable discounts.
- We rarely see big sales on Intel CPUs, but Newegg has some nice deals on unlocked Haswell chips. The top-of-the-line Core i7-4770K is down to $290, a $60 discount, while the i5-4670K is $40 off at $210.
- Most of AMD's processors seem to be discounted today, and I'm seeing some games bundled with them, as well. The most appealing options are probably the FX-8320, which is selling for $130, and the A10-6800K, which is down to $120. Both chips come with a free copy of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. The FX-4300 is also a nice deal at $90 with a free copy of SimCity.
- BinFenix's Prodigy is one of the most affordable Mini-ITX cases around, and it's even more affordable than usual today. The case is slashed to $56 at Newegg, and there's a $6 mail-in rebate on top of that.
- If you're looking for a quiet, unobtrusive mid-tower, Fractal Design's Define R4 is excellent. The case normally sells for around $100 or more, but it's just $75 at Newegg right now.
- Rosewill's RK-9000I mechanical keyboard is down to $60 before a $20 mail-in rebate. That's an incredible deal for a keyboard with Cherry MX switches. This model features MX blue switches, which have tactile feedback and an audible click.
Tablets are likely to be popular over the holidays, and there are plenty of 'em on sale:
- Asus' Transformer Book T100 is our favorite Windows 8.1 convertible right now. This puppy packs a 10.1" touchscreen, a quad-core Bay Trail chip, 64GB of flash storage, and a touchpad-equipped keyboard dock for only $350. That's supposed to be the asking price for the 32GB version, but Amazon doesn't have that model in stock, so it's so it's put the 64GB version on sale, instead.
- Dell's Venue 8 Pro is somewhat less exciting, but the 32 and 64GB flavors of it are both $20 off. We live in a world where Bay Trail tablets running the full version of Windows 8.1 can be had for as little as $280. Good times.
- Scott loves his second-generation Nexus 7, and Newegg has it on sale. The 16GB version is down to $199, while the 32GB model can be purchased for $239.
Black Friday is apparently a thing in Canada now, too. NCIX's Black Friday Sale Event is filled with deals, including these:
- WD's Black 4TB isn't quite as cheap as it is south of the border, but $210 CAD is a great price for this flagship mechanical drive.
- Gigabyte's Osmium mechanical keyboard is quite nice. It has media and macro keys, adjustable backlighting, and built-in USB 3.0 connectivity. The version with Cherry MX brown key switches is discounted to $105 CAD before a $15 mail-in rebate knocks the effective price down to just $90.