Deals of the week: Devil's Canyon, storage, and a 4K display for $540
Labor Day is past, and fall is in the air. In keeping with the seasonal changes, maybe it's time for a new PC, or at least some better components. We've cast a few lines into the sea of promotional offers from this week, and these are our best catches.
- First up, Newegg is offering up to 10% off the Intel Core i5-4690K. This overclockable Devil's Canyon CPU is the centerpiece of our System Guide's Sweet Spot configuration. Newegg is offering a straight 6% off on this CPU right now, but the coupon code EMCPAPF22 adds another 4% discount, which brings the final price to $225 or so. You'll need to take advantage of this discount before September 10.
- If you're building the Sweet Spot, you'll need a case, too. Corsair is offering a $10 rebate on its Obsidian 450D, which Geoff bestowed with the TR Recommended award. I can also vouch for the quality of this case, as it underpins my daily driver PC. At only $89.99 after rebate from Newegg, it's a great deal. This offer is valid through September 10, as well.
- Cheap SSDs are a staple of our deals posts recently. The trend continues this week, with Newegg offering 15% off selected SSDs, including the 256GB version of Crucial's MX100. If you apply the code EMCPAPE22 at checkout, you can knock the 256GB MX100 down to a mere $98. The only caveat is that you'll need to subscribe to Newegg's deals newsletter, but that's a small price to pay, in my opinion. This coupon code expires on September 7.
- Need some high-performance bulk storage to back up your SSDs? Newegg is offering a couple of promotional codes on Western Digital Black Series mechanical drives. You can get $20 off the 2TB version, or $10 off the 4TB version. Apply the code "EMCPAPH22" for the 2TB drive or "092BTSMSTH65" for the 4TB drive. You'll have to act fast for the 2TB drive's promotion—it ends at 11:59 PM PDT tonight. The 4TB drive is on sale through September 8, though.
- Newegg is also offering 10% off on select monitors if you apply the coupon code "UPGRADE" before September 9. Most of the eligible monitors are either pricey or low-PPI displays, but there are a couple of interesting specimens among them. Acer's G7 Series G247HL features a 24", 1080p VA (vertical alignment) panel, which is usually considered to be somewhere between a TN and IPS panel for image quality. At only $130 or so after the coupon code, this display seems like a solid entry-level choice.
- Finally, if you're ready to make the leap to 4K displays, the same "UPGRADE" coupon code brings Samsung's UD590 down to $539.99, which is pretty darn cheap for a 4K display. The UD590 is a 28" monitor with similar specs to the Asus PB287Q that Scott reviewed a while back. That means a 10-bit TN panel with 1-ms response time. The UD590 also appears to be capable of single-tile 4K at 60Hz over DisplayPort. On the downside, there's no VESA mount support, and user reviews suggest that the stand isn't the greatest. You'll be hard-pressed to find a more affordable 4K monitor out there, though.
That's it for this week's deals. If you find a useful discount or coupon code that we've missed, be sure to share it with your fellow gerbils in the comments.