Deal of the week: Sennheiser HD 558s for $100, Dragon Age for free, and more
Columbus Day sales abound, providing some interesting fodder for our weekly deals post. Before we get into the individual items, we should point out that TigerDirect has a $15 off $100 promo running until midnight ET Sunday. The one-time coupon requires an email address, but a burner account should work just fine.
- Sennheiser's HD 558 headphones are some of the finest mid-range cans around. They're the follow-up to the HD 555s we use for audio testing in the Benchmarking Sweatshop, and they sound just as good. Right now, Best Buy has the HD 558s on sale for $99.99—$80 off the inflated retail sticker and $20 less than the prevailing price online. Be careful, though: upgraded headphones may expose weaknesses in your PC's audio subsystem. (Thanks Slickdeals!)
- Radeon R9 290 and 290X prices were slashed earlier this week, and one variant has been discounted even further. The HIS "iPower IceQ X² OC" version of the R9 290 is available for $269.99 at Newegg after a $20 mail-in rebate. The GPU Boost clock is 20MHz higher than usual, and you get 4GB of RAM, a dual-fan cooler, and three free games from the recently updated Radeon Gold bundle.
- The arrival of the GeForce GTX 970 and 980 have inspired steep discounts on older Nvidia cards, including the GTX 780 Ti. Asus' DirectCU II spin on that former flagship can be had for as little as $409.67 at Newegg with promo code EMCWPWP22 and a $30 mail-in rebate. The card has higher-than-stock GPU frequencies, a beefy cooler, and a download code for Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. It may not be quite as good of a deal as the new GTX 970, but unlike that card, this one is actually in stock.
- Ok, one more graphics card. MSI's Radeon R9 280 Gaming is down to just $155.99 at Newegg after promo code HSYFSSF9 and a $30 rebate. This isn't the newest or most exotic Radeon around, but at that price, it doesn't have to be—especially since it has MSI's excellent Twin Frozr IV cooler and a voucher for three games from the Radeon Gold collection.
- The most appealing SSD of the week is arguably Crucial's MX100 256GB, which is down to $99.99 at Newegg with promo code EMCWPWP79. Intel's 730 Series 240GB is also on sale, though it's much pricier, at $159.99. That's still a substantial discount from the usual asking price, and it's a nice deal given the 730 Series' high endurance rating, five-year warranty, and robust power-loss protection. The 480GB version is only $289.99, and both capacities come with a "free Intel skull hat gift" that probably shouldn't be worn out in public.
- Wallet a little thin this week? Worry not, because Dragon Age: Origins is completely free of charge via Origin's "On the House" program. The game has overwhelmingly positive reviews on Metacritic, so apart from the Origin requirement, it's hard to go wrong. Act soon if you're interested; the freebie is only available until October 14.
That's all for this week. If you've spotted any deals we've missed, feel free to add them to the comments below.